Viewing 15 posts - 161 through 175 (of 175 total)
  • Living and riding in South Manchester
  • Handsomedog
    Free Member

+1 for Sale. We currently live on Brooklands Rd. 15 minutes walk into Sale proper where there are Sainsbury’s/Tesco and endless charity shops. A selection of very good restaurants and pubs in the vicinity. Brooklands Rd itself is busy but tree-lined and full of greenness.

I regularly commute into Wythenshawe, and my OH did so for over a year on here own. It has good bits and bad bits. As with the majority of depressed areas, many people living there are decent, hardworking but poor; unfortunately some are unpleasant and violent. Neither of us has ever encountered anything personally but witnessed some odd bits of unpleasantness.

dot
    Free Member

RE: New Mills – commute is not bad for MCR if you go by train, I work in the city centre, catch the 8:22 train most days and at my desk before 9am (train pass costs £80 per month). Love living here (previously lived around Didsbury/Withy/Fallowfield for 10 years).

headingsouth
    Free Member

I’ll drag this back up with my first post..

Despite the username, I’m heading back up to the North-West after 7 years down South. I’ll be working just off the M6/M62 interchange and the OH will be based at Manchester Uni. We’re looking for places along the metrolink between Navigation Road, Brooklands and Sale.

Any particular places to avoid? And I know I’ll be spoilt with North Wales and the Peaks within easy reach of a weekend or if I have a whole evening free, but are there any areas that are good for a quick offroad spin just to keep my legs moving?

headingsouth
    Free Member

Bump for the posting from work crowd.

I’m heading up this weekend and for the first half of next week to have a good look around, got quite a few viewings booked, mainly between Brooklands and Sale.

Any advice on where to avoid or where’s easy for getting offroad with little hassle?

hora
    Free Member

Navigation Road, Brooklands and Sale

Sale is good. As long as you stay away from Sale Moor- well away.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Alongside Metrolink = alongside canal. Towpath towards Manc then cut under onto Mersey by Stretford Cruising Club (Canal Boats!!!!). Otherwise Dane Road area takes you to Sale Water park (!!) and the Mersey…

hora
    Free Member

Dane Road = good call. You could go as far as Stretford Tram and the new Chorlton tram however prices are comparable/higher towards Chorlton tram but I feel you get more for your money than you do in Sale.

Sadly Binners will be leaving the area today so you wont have corset-fun.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I was looking at Googlemaps the other day which reckons New Mills is only 15 miles from my current flat (Brooklands Rd) on a variety of quietish roads. Easily reachable for a ride to and from the Peaks!

HS – I would recommend the Belmore Hotel on Brooklands Rd if you fancy some food during your stay.

binners

As Hora said, avoid Sale Moor, other than that its all quite civilised. Once you get up here you’ll have no shortage of riding opportunities.

We’re all at it, all the time (fnarr fnarr) 😀

hora
    Free Member

Plus the otherside of the main road you have to be careful as segments towards the sewage works aren’t the best but then as you get closer you’ll spot these.

You can’t really go wrong with that area. Alot of good STW’ers round there- Andy Hilton, John Clayton etc etc.

headingsouth
    Free Member

All sounding good, thanks for the advice.

Before joining anyone for a ride I’ll have to learn to cope with things like hills and rocks. Originally from Chester where I didn’t really ride much and have been down in Kent so I’m used to Delamere, and Blean – which is like Delamere but flatter 😆

terrahawk
    Free Member

I grew up in Sale Moor you cheeky bunch of ******* ******* I’ll give you a ***** ***** in the **** ******!

it is a bit rough these days, admittedly. It’s a shame. I have fond memories of the place.

hora
    Free Member

😆

Ps. Terra, I still hold out the branch of Yorkshire citizenship for you.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I would rather DIE

headingsouth
    Free Member

Derbyshire Road South / Norris Road type area near Sale high school – will I die?

Don’t much fancy trying to bike down the A56 like some of the brave/mental blokes I saw today

Viewing 15 posts - 161 through 175 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Living and riding in South Manchester’ is closed to new replies.