Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • Living and riding in South Manchester
  • Garry_Lager

Moving to Manchester in a couple of months, probably look to be based in the south. What is the reality of riding when you’re living in places like Didsbury, Chorlton, Heaton etc? Ever take the mountain bike from the doorstep, or do you jump in the car to the peaks?

Trying to figure out how far out to live, basically (I’ll be based at the university). Currently living in Edinburgh, local riding is in the Pentland hills. Whilst they’re not the most exciting riding in the UK, the fact that a 3 hr ride from the city, door to door, can take in some decent hills is quite a feature.

Also, if anyone can suggest non-obvious places to live in Manchester, that would be great to hear (for a family). All I’ve really heard so far are the nice parts of the South side that everyone talks about. Any less-publicised gems tucked away in the city to think about?

pypdjl
    Free Member

Heaton moor to Hayfield is easily do-able in 90 minutes, nearly all off road. Naturally the more time you have the further you can get into the peaks. Alternatively you can get the train out and ride back.

portlyone

From Chorlton/Didsbury you can ride along the Mersey and the Trans Pennine Trail east or west. But for anything really technical (i.e. with even a slight hill) you’re looking to drive/train it to the Pennines, Delamere or Lee/Cragg Quarries really.

Harry_the_Spider

My wife works at the University. We live on the north side of town and access isn’t too difficult (Manchester isn’t that big, but don’t tell anybody).

You get much more house for your money if you go north.

binners

Riding from the door in South Manchester isn’t the best until you get out to the peaks. But you don’t have to drive far to get in some interesting stuff. Less than half an hour to get you on the west Pennine Moors around Rivi/Darwen or Lee/Cragg Quarry. Calderdale isn’t much further

You’re in the Peaks in no time too – Though personally I hate the drive out there on the A6.

Or you can head t’other way, hop on the M56 and be in Wales in under an hour. Llandegla is a regular night ride

There are a good few of us on here Manchester based. Give us a shout when you’re moving and we’ll happily show you the interesting stuff

loddrik
    Free Member

For the true Manchester experience I’d recommend settling in wythenshawe, longsight, moss side etc. It truly is a lovely place…

sefton
    Free Member

might be better with a fixie that near the town centre 😛

failing that see the light and move to Bolton! 😉

scottidog
    Free Member

Marple or the surrounding areas would probably be a good for you. About 30 mins on the train to the city centre or a 10 mile bike ride so commuting is pretty easy.

From those areas you have access to a lot of excellent riding right off the doorstep.

When the time comes for me to settle down a bit that’s where I’ll be heading!

portlyone

Chorlton is getting the tram soon (think they tested the line over the weekend), should be up and running by the end of July.

Garry_Lager

Thanks all – v helpful.

My wife works at the University. We live on the north side of town and access isn’t too difficult (Manchester isn’t that big, but don’t tell anybody).

You get much more house for your money if you go north.
    I fancy looking around the north end a bit just to get the measure of the place – like I say recommendations for the south side are all I’ve heard so it would be good to look somewhere different.
    Manchester not all that big though? Have to say it looks massive – guess you get used to it.

Harry_the_Spider

The centre is quite compact. The missus got a bus to Deansgate (north side) then walked to work at the University Library about 25 mins IIRC.

The campus is big though. Where abouts will you be?

Check out Prestwich about 4 miles to the north. Nice enough area with trails on the doorstep (HtN land). Any closer than Prestwich is a bit post apocalyptic.

gwj72
    Free Member

I used to ride up from Heaton Moor to Reddish vale for a hoon about. Good for a quick blast in the evening.

peachos
    Free Member

chorlton’s the best place to live by far – good vibe/bars/food etc.

you can ride from the door out along the cycle path to Reddish Vale which will give you access to riding around Stockport/Marple/Mellor/Werneth/Strines etc. About 20mins of tarmac there and back (so good for fitness!).

so it’s not ideal for ‘straight from the door riding’ but it’s very well placed for jumping on the motorway to the Lakes/Wales/Yorks/Pennines etc.

Bunnyhop

When the time comes for me to settle down a bit that’s where I’ll be heading!

We’re in Marple and love it.
    From Stockport there’s quite a bit of cheeky stuff or Reddish Vale for some fun twisty single track, but as others have said, for the hills and technical stuff, hopping on a train is your best bet.

We’ve often gone out to the Peaks on the train, riding back from Bamford or Hope to Stockport.

sefton
    Free Member

Manchester not that big – 3rd largest city in the country 🙄

you’re practically in the centre there mate – get to the north or east suburbs and you’ll be closer to the pennines or the peaks 😉

south Manchester/Cheshire is flat!

M6TTF
    Free Member

sefton – Member
    Manchester not that big – 3rd largest city in the country

you’re practically in the centre there mate – get to the north or east suburbs and you’ll be closer to the pennines or the peaks

south Manchester/Cheshire is flat!

I can assure you it aint all flat – head out of Macclesfield to Buxton for all the hills you need 🙂

Frodo

New Mills – Cheap houses, fantastic riding on your door step and two stations that will get you into Manchester in 30 – 40mins. The best of both worlds!

ourmaninthenorth

I loved the 10 years I spent living in Didsbury (well, mostly West Didsbury, with a short 3 years in didsbury in the middle), but ultimately felt the call of rural life again.

There’s lots to recommend Didsbury, though like binners and peachos say the immediate riding drom the doorstep, while flat (Mersey valley/Trans Pennine Trail), is handy. For Peaks riding, I used to jump on the bike and ride the 6ish miles to Stockport and then take the train out to New Mills or beyond. The you’re in the heart of the Hayfield action.

I now live within similar distance of Rivi, but have yet to get out there….

monksie
    Free Member

When you say “Heaton” do you mean Heaton Moor, Heaton Chapel, Heaton Mersey and Heaton Norris? If so, the first three are quite pricey for Stockport in the main, the latter quite cheap but it’s Lancashire Hill for home owners.
    I’d give Marple a proper miss. Slummage.
    I can get from work in North Reddish to Hope Cross with a total of no more than 3 miles on road including the stretch of tarmac in Edale and it isn’t flat by any means. Vernon Park climb from the gates at Carrington Rd to the museum is a once a summer attempt.

Bunnyhop

I’d give Marple a proper miss. Slummage.

and that coming from a Grover 🙄

Waves to Monksie.

OMITN –

Ah, we’ll have to meet up and show you around, it’s great.

amodicumofgnar

Marple or New Mills are good for from the door blasts with a reasonable amount of route choice all year round. Quick to get into the Peak, S.Pennines and whilst still not getting to snarled up getting over to M6 or M1. Bike commuting distance to central manchester and as mentioned above good train service.

Whaley Bridge, Chapel and Chinley all have train service into Manchester. Chinley prob has the best commuter one because there are limited stop peak time service. Not as much quick blast riding without big climbs or bogs, which is why I think the lower Goyt area around Marple, Mellor, New Mills has more to offer if your short of time in the evening. Better for big day rides from these towns though.

I still rate Macclesfield for the riding and the train times are quite quick as its on the mainline to Manchester. Quick to the Lakes and N. Wales but slower for South and West Pennines. Not really regular bike commute to Manchester distance.

sambob
    Free Member

Can agree Marple is nice, and easy on the train if you don’t want to ride. Can i tag along Bunnyhop?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sefton – Member

Manchester not that big – 3rd largest city in the country

Indeed – and Gary is coming from Edinburgh – a very compact city. Personally I wouldn’t even consider living in the North of the city to work in the south – the travelling would drive me crackers. I lived in Old Trafford / Walley Range for 10 years. Its a big sprawling congested city and within a couple of miles of work would be essential for me. Chorlton maybe? Didsbury?

ourmaninthenorth

OMITN –

Ah, we’ll have to meet up and show you around, it’s great.

Eh up. Just seen this (getting confused twixt emails and here).

Yep. Sounds like a plan is coming together. Must warn you, I’m so unfit I can barely climb the stairs….

…I live in a bungalow.

Bunnyhop

sambob

Can i tag along Bunnyhop?

if you mean Rivi, definitely.

omitn – no problems, I’m a sociable riding and looking a views kinda gal. Walking up hills with bike is something I know well.

monksie
    Free Member

Despite Buunyhop denying it, Marple?….gives Bunnyhop a wink back.
    It has a canal with lovely locks, a park with a voluntary group to improve it, great views out to the Peak with excellent riding to the same, restaurants, cafe, cinema, local shops and supermarkets, swimming pool and gym, indoor climbing wall, canoe club, library….it’s proper bobbins.
    Driving to the Uni’ would be a royal arse. The two train lines go directly into Manchester centre but it’s a bit of a hike from Piccadily down Oxford Rd or a connecting train from Piccadily to Oxford Rd station all be it one stop. Ace for riding in though. On or off road.
    I’d give Heaton Moor and Heaton Mersey a look if not Didsbury if you’re thinking south of the city although the Heaton’s and even more so Marple are very Cheshire. I don’t know Chorlton at all. Didsbury seems very nice but expensive I would imagine.

adscatt
    Free Member

Living in hyde is pretty handy for riding from your doorstep (can be in Hayfield just over an hour riding majority off road) and for transport into Manchester by road, motorway, bus or rail (20mins away by train).

gwj72
    Free Member

I’ve got quite a few good hour ride for evenings from Chinley (I live a mile outside the village), but I concede no ride from here is without a good climb one way or the other. I like climbs 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Let me know when you’re planning to go Bunnyhop. gwj, which direction from Chinley? I’m just over Eccles Pike from Chinley, between Whaley and Chapel.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“Reddish Vale for some fun twisty single track”

Some proper little hidden gems in there,especially if you forget to pay attention coming up to that tiny little wooden footbridge with the 90 degree turn onto it at the Bredbury end and go ploughing into the undergrowth (again).

big_n_daft
    Free Member

All I’ve really heard so far are the nice parts of the South side that everyone talks about. Any less-publicised gems tucked away in the city to think about?

the small triangle of Stretford between Longford Park and the Metrolink used to be OK, walking distance to Chorlton but in Trafford and next to Metrolink. My sister lived in Old Trafford an a surprising decent street but that was basically being lucky

tbh, if you want decent riding from your front door you need to get a map and it soon becomes obvious where the opportunities are, working at the University I would bike, metro (no bikes on the metro) or train

Its a big sprawling congested city and within a couple of miles of work would be essential for me. Chorlton maybe? Didsbury?

a pedant would point out that Didsbury is more than a couple of miles away from the University 😉

Duggan

I live in Didsbury and would reccomend it, depending on exactly what you want and your circumstances. Also work at the University too and public transport there is pretty much 24/7.

Slightly less ‘city’ places but nice would be Heaton Mersey and Heaton Moor I guess. Also as others have said Chorlton is nice, especially around the Beech Road area and Chorlton Green.

I generally ride out to Reddish Vale in the week after work and if I have more time get the train to New Mills (for Hayfield riding and further into the Peaks) or Marple as well. About 25min onthe train from Picaddilly. It’s pretty easy to ride back, only about an hour via the canals and other tracks.

I would say if you wanted to live in a big city but also like mtbing Manchester is a good choice.

gwj72
    Free Member

@sambob – I’m up towards Hayfield on Maynestone road. Peep-o-Day farm (landmark on chinley churn ride) is the top of our road.

Not done a whaley ride for a bit.

sefton
    Free Member

yep getting into the center from the north in peak hours is basically a pain in the ass!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Didsbury is supposed to be posh and is a decent place to live if you like going out to pubs etc. It’s popular with young professionals when they first move to manchester and featured in the TV programme Cold Feet. IMHO the reality is it isn’t really any better than many other bits of manchester and my car insurance went down when I moved out of that area.

Places to consider are all the south manchester areas mentioned above, Chorlton, Sale and Urmston to the west, prestwich to the north. Look at the metro link map for other options such as Altrincham. It really is a case of looking around these places as everyone has there own preference. If you consider marple/new mills etc, just be aware of how difficult it is to get to manchester/M60 by car.

gwj72
    Free Member

Can I suggest looking at Withington too?

It’s next door to didsbury, has a few more colourful characters about but is all the better for it I reckon. It has its own bars and cafes and you can easily walk to Didsbury / West Didsbury or Fallowfield if you want. Getting into town takes 11 minutes from Mauldeth road station or you can just ride up Oxford Road like a lot of students do.

It’s a fair bit cheaper than Didsbury.

Yak

I used to live in West Didsbury- great for bars/pubs/food etc. Bus service to city centre/ uni area is frequent, but slow in the rush hour to the point where you want to get out and walk. Cycling in is quick and easy though. Riding from the door- see above.

Now live in the New Mills area which has great riding from the doorstep- short 1hr blasts or big rides out into the peak. There are 2 trainlines so depending on where you are on the campus- 30mins train + maybe 15mins walk?. Driving into the city centre is a pain a rush hour, but ok v early. Cycle commute via the busy A6 is 45-50mins ish and can be mixed up with some canals/ off-road for a longer route home.

If it appeals- give the New Mills/ Marple/ Whaley Bridge/etc area a look.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to bring a family up there.

gwj72
    Free Member

Plenty of people do. It’s got some great schools, a golf course, parks, a great bike shop and is populated mostly by people working at the Uni’s. Didsbury it isn’t, but unless you want to wrap your kids up in cotton wool….

binners

Don’t you mean ‘Didsbury Borders’? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Living and riding in South Manchester’ is closed to new replies.