Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • lights
  • soulbrother99
    Free Member

hello
    i’m looking for some lights for mountain biking for, ideally under £170.
    i have been looking at the magic shine MJ-880 and MJ-872r. has any one used these lights? and also the Glowworm-X2.

ideally they should have around a 1600 lumen output and 2 hours+ battery life.

many thanks. Gabe 🙂

Bregante

If you do a search there have been loads of threads on this recently

Here’s one

stevemorg2

using a Gloworm X2 on my helmet to complement my Troutie on the bars – excellent light and would actually be enough on its own. It’s very well made and has great back-up – I don’t think you can go wrong with the Gloworm.
    I do have a spare X2 set up if you are interested – I put it toghether for my son but he’s hardly used it

Northwind

The MJ872 is a pretty old light now… Still stands up in company mind, a very good light and I reckon the first of the chinese lights that could really stand alongside the expensive competition in terms of quality etc… but I’d be surprised if there’s not something better by now (even if only better value)

Arguably the beam is a wee bit wide for helmet use- I don’t find it so but I can understand why people say that.

soulbrother99
    Free Member

[sing a Gloworm X2 on my helmet to complement my Troutie on the bars – excellent light and would actually be enough on its own. It’s very well made and has great back-up – I don’t think you can go wrong with the Gloworm.
    I do have a spare X2 set up if you are interested – I put it toghether for my son but he’s hardly used it]

Thanks i like the look of the X2 just wondering if you have had any issues with blackspots and also what the battery life is like.

stevemorg2

Battery life is fine – I’m running a smaller Smudge pack on my helmet lamp but the supplied 4 cell pack is very good – I’ve had 2 hour rides on full power and still had charge left
    Can’t say I’ve noticed any black spots – I’ve not changed the lenses and I’ve always been impressed with its coverage

widge34
    Free Member

All you need to know below

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html

The fluxient lights seem best

robbieh
    Free Member

If you can’t get any ideas from the SEARCH function! Buy the most expensive lights there are……. 🙄

neninja
    Free Member

Torchy tends to review mainly lights that he sells including Fluxient.

The MTBR light tests are independent and worth looking at as a good source of information. They test output, feature beam shots etc.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/category/lights-shootout
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/2013-bike-lights-shootout-backyard-beam-photos

2013 Bike Lights Shootout – Mtbr Lumen Tests

coatesy
    Free Member

+1 for Gloworm, aftersales service above and beyond what was required when I had a minor problem (Apparently involved dragging an engineer in NZ out of bed to discuss the problem). All appears to be well made, good beam from mine, not noticed any black spots with my set-up either.

hammyuk
    Free Member

No blackspots from either my X2 or X1, incredible customer service from Dan and great VFM IMO.
    PLUS they are tiny!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned the MTB Batteries Lumenator?

Well under budget and way better than the £250 Hope light it replaced for me. Long battery life is its speciality.

Was pleased to see it got a “best value” nod in the new MBUK, because it’s nice to see a deserving product from a small firm recognised.

GrahamS

Another +1 for the Gloworm. Just received the new X2 version 3 today and took it for its first test ride tonight.

Impressively small, stupidly powerful, really nicely put together. Even on the “Dim” setting it was plenty bright enough to ride unlit trails on. In fact slightly too bright if anything, but that’s okay because you can program your own brightness levels.

Completely waterproof too, which really sold me as I need a light that can survive commutes in crappy weather:

[video]http://youtu.be/dNRVJHLxs7M[/video]

(Oh and there is a 10% discount for STW Premium members here)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘lights’ is closed to new replies.