Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Life going nowhere fast……
  • nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks squin but we don’t actually have much debt, a couple of hundred left on a loan but thats it. We just barely have enough coming in to cover our overheads. We’re pretty good at money management, our student days didn’t end that long ago!

Digimap
    Free Member

Glad to hear you’re taking the dog then and good luck.

If you do get a minute to ask Kate about polishing then I’m an amateur newbie using water based acrylic lacquers applied by foam brush. Polishing to high gloss with 0000wool/pumice/rottenstone and I’m rubbing right through the lacquer topcoat quite easily. I suspect the topcoat is too thin as it’s hard to get much on with a foam brush. I don’t have spray gear so is there a trick to getting a thick enough topcoat for polishing or am I just being a bit ham fisted with the rubbing. Sorry for the hijack. (email in profile)

rich_tee
    Free Member

sorry to come into this a bit late but here’s my two pence worth.

I left UK in November and moved to France, started doing something completely different. bit of a change at the time and lots to take on board as to how things work.

Yes, there are cultural differences but 6 months on I’m still surviving.
    Go for it – you always regret the things you don’t more than the things you do.

mogrim

If you were running away from emotional problems I’d say think twice – I live abroad* and you get exactly the same problems here as you do at home, a Spanish mortgage is nor more pleasant than an English one, I have to go shopping every week, the dog need taking out for a walk, etc. What might seem exciting and new will soon seem routine, and you’ll be miles away from friends and family.

That, however, is not your case. You’re going with your wife, you have family there (although is living with you in-laws really the best idea???), you’re still young enough and with no real ties to hold you back. Go for it!

* Abroad is relative, after 13 years here this is home…

bruk

Go for it, sounds like the perfect oppurtunity to try something new.

If you are taking the dog speak to your vet soon as there are quite a few blood and other tests to go through to get the permit for the dog into Oz and it does take some time to sort it all out!

NZCol

As an expat myself I’d agree with most of the advice.
    Basically you’ll get out of it what you put in. I think the grass is greener thing applies to a lot of people and when they arrive in a new country they think it will be like being on holiday – its not when you live there.
    I’ve spent some time in Perth and to be honest you should not compare it to other countries or even cities for that matter. It has some significant geographic issues in that its in the middle of nowhere and you can feel very isolated. Plus sides are its very lovely but fckng hot sometimes which is not as much fun as it sounds. This is based on probably 4 stretches working there.But as has been siad i work ont he regret something you have done principle so if you feel that way then go for it. Also remember the recession is global so expect to read about in the papers. You’ll also get swine flu. Apparently.

dyna-ti

Cant believe given the answers you’ve received,that you’re still in this country.
    Leave the depts behind ,sod them,you’ve probably paid enough anyway,and i dont think they’ll chase you all that way 😉
    I’m a cabinetmaker myself and know if theres no work in furniture then theres always bench-hand joinery,its an easy transition to make,even home improvements/flatpack furniture assembly for the ex-pat community,
    theres always something if you’re skilled

Weather is excellent[though if you miss the UK rain/snow,nothing is stopping you from coming back for a 3 week holiday.
    you can go cycling everyday ,because everyday is a sunny day 😀
    Great sailing /beaches,moneys not bad,and if you have relatives over there then thats half the battle finding somewhere to live/rent.
    Your next thought should be
    By God..I’ll do it…..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Wow – can’t believe its on a plate and you aren’t sure!!!

Do it!!! if I didn’t have two kids, a mortagage and live in a part of the world I love. I’d be out there in a flash!!!

You’ll love it.

A mate of mine was in a sort of similar position.

He was working in a rough school in London with a 3 hour commute (in total) each day. Rented house. Not great pay. Wife doing a job where she wasn’t paid a great deal. Living in a shite area of london. Hating it really and affecting his mental state.

They moved to Auckland and it is total reversal – Bought a house, he’s now earning more teaching than he ever could imagine doing here, working in a private school as head of department, great lifestyle and he’s so happy!!!

Do it, if it doesn’t work out, come back – the break will help you to see things clearer for when / if you do return.

Good luck – really hope it works out even though I am really jealous!!!

farm-boy

Under very similar to circumstances to you I arrived in Perth in mid 2006 and I am still here now, loving it.

The biking is not perfect but it is still very good when you get into the scene. The opportunities to try new sports especially water sports are superb. Yes it can be too hot in the mid-summer, but it can be too wet/cold in the UK anytime of year. You get used to it and learn to adapt.

It’s not perfect here but worth a go. Initially I planned to stay for about 5 months and I now have no plans to leave.

epicyclo

Do it.

I went to Oz 30 odd years ago for similar reasons. The place is jumping with opportunity if you are prepared to look for it – especially in the growth areas like Queensland.

Just don’t expect it to be like here just because they nearly speak English 🙂

Learn to adapt rather than complain and you’ll do well.

Best thing you can do for your kids too.

I wouldn’t be back here if it wasn’t for family reasons (aged relative, dementia, etc).

Say goodbye to miserable weather.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It puzzles me that most people seem to be overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the idea – is that symptomatic of widespread dissatisfaction with this country ? I like it here and would need considerable inducement to move to Oz :o)

woodsman
    Free Member

nickegg, if your wife’s an antique furtiture restorer and is working her ass off, and you are a cabinet maker – why not help her out and go into business together!? A £600 tax bill is surely not enough reason to leave the country ffs!

Leaving the country won’t leave your problems behind IMO – there must be more to it (your problems)…my two penneth worth.

Eat oily fish, ride your bike and have plenty of sex – don’t freak over 600 quid! That’s got to be the most ecclectic statement ever……

nickegg
    Free Member

Of course there is more to it than a tax bill Woodsman! I’m not about to go into great detail on a public forum to a bunch of strangers, i do however value everyones opinion as i think the Singletrack massive are a varied bunch!

Going into business together with no capitol, no means of security against a loan and in a recession is a very bad idea in my opinion.

There is simply a severe shortage of jobs in our industry in the UK right now and the opposite in Oz. Our problems are mostly as a result of the recession.

Thanks for all the response, i’m grateful to you all.

kennyp
    Free Member

Go for it, what have you got to lose. I’d do it myself except for the fact I’m actually quite happy living here.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Life going nowhere fast……’ is closed to new replies.