Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • lets see your icy conditions!!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Started a ride over on the SEA area of Cannock Chase the off piste stuff was great and most of the proper trails were ok but trying to link stuff up was a gamble!
    Bambi in lycra

thepodge
    Free Member

does this work linking from facebook?

the car isn't mine by the way, i was on my way home and spotted it

postierich
    Free Member

lucky parking by the jag!

iDave
    Free Member

yesterday i did the same thing at the same place as your first photo postie, then once more on the way to birches valley just to finish off my lower back well and proper! might try again tomorrow with some help from diazepam

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Top of Glentress freeride this morning.

snaps
    Free Member

Jacknifed tractor & $hitspreader on its side greeted us on a road section of a Dartmoor ride last week!

tazzymtb

postierich- was out on the chase yesterday morning in that sheet ice, its the only time I've noticed a mrginal benefit of traction from a 29er over a 26er and frozen horse poo is very grippy on the climbs. 😀

night riding tomorrow so if it's still icey there it really is going to be manic!

Gravy
    Free Member

Conditions at the Sherwood Pines are about the same as Cannock by the looks of it, must have been lots of breakages (?) 😕

rOcKeTdOg

Heston rides an MTB??

snaps
    Free Member

Thats Tim41 off of here – but now you mention it…..
    Not sure what he'll make of that!

samuri
    Free Member

Our road.

0091paddy
    Free Member

@ samuri..no grit going where you live? 😯

ebygomm
    Free Member

Our road, though thankfully not any longer. Only one sheety ice bit round Ladybower yesterday and one comedy fall.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whitworth Golf Club

Surfr
    Free Member

Nant-yr-Arian climbe from the car park on Boxing Day morning.

Pretty much all the fire roads in the same state. Must be some trait of the materials which mean they hold water and ice over.

hora
    Free Member

Samuri an old lad down our road recommended buying bags of sand from B&Q for £3.99. Apperently the sand is treated and works like salt on ice.

LeeW

I tried that last year Hora, it didn't work very well and I had an annoying orange stain on the drive/road outside our house for ages afterwards.

BeachRider
    Free Member

Snaps are the best…

John Deere my fave 🙂

JB
    Free Member

Rich is Harris on his ass again??? Bless!!!

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

Yesterday , Blairadam Forest , Fife. 😯

da funk

rOcKeTdOg

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i got rocksalt which is basically sand & salt breaks down the ice if it above -1ish and the gritty stuff helps with grip

samuri
    Free Member

nope, no grit and no gritters. Lancashire council have been on the radio and telly on a regular basis lying through their teeth about how they're working as hard as they can to clear the roads.

I've seen one gritter in the last week, and that was today, gritting a road that was already clear.

I reckon they've sold off all their gritters believing they'll not need them any more.

A chap at the bottom of the orad has done just that hora, it's not melted the ice but at least it means you can walk without slipping. I've just chopped up the ice with a shovel in front of our house, if everyone did the same the whole road would be clear but obviously that would mean not drinking beer and watching ant and dec so very few others have done it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where in lancs, we are clear here in Whitworth. The road gets gritted if its going to snow and salted if it's going to freeze. It seems to make a difference if your road is steep & therefore dangerous to slide down into oncoming traffic.

Generally my impression of lancs has been good. Back up in Cumbria I rode into to town to get salt to do our road as we are off the road network. Only the major routes are done as is required the rest of us MTFU and got on with it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Purplefunkmonkey, I drove over and under several trees to get into Blairadam yesterday, but gave up when a substantial tree had fallen across the access road. We had a tough session just trying to find the trails. I've ridden there dozens of times, its amazing how fickle your points of reference are with a covering of snow and a couple of fallen branches.

stratobiker
    Free Member

It was nice here while it lasted.
    All gone now. 🙁

SB

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

mcmoonter , I was with a mate walking up the forest (still post op recovery so no bike) I think we passed you (group of 4 riders??)at the gate by the FC buildings.
    We had planned to walk to the top of the forest but cut short as depth and weight of the snow causing some seriously low overhanging branches meant several detours off the paths giving me a lot of discomfort to my knee.
    These foaties were on our return trip , the driver was lucky to get out the door of the machine as the cab was jammed agaist a tree. 😯
    Today would have been better day for biking up there with the freezing temperatures taking some of the dampness from the snow turning it into fine powder , but it was -6 here at 11.30am.
    I'm dying to get one of the bikes out and get out in it before it disappears tho , maybe tomorrow. 😉

da funk

fisha
    Free Member

I made a video of mine … Vimeo makes it slightly out of ratio though … 🙁

http://www.vimeo.com/8423847

samuri
    Free Member

where in lancs, we are clear here in Whitworth.

Clearly only certain areas get treated then. It's not a problem for me, I can drive on ice and snow, it's amazing how many people can't though.

devs
    Free Member

We've had snow on the ground for 2 weeks now. It has melted, refreezed, been freezing rained on and topped up with new snow a few times but it has been pretty hellish to ride on. This was at its slippiest

but there's fresh snow on top today so I was able to get out for a proper ride again

slimtubing
    Free Member

icy conditions resolved by large gin and tonic.

hora
    Free Member

icy conditions resolved by large gin and tonic.

They could use that photo for a metrosexual ad to advertise the drink 😉

Samuri I was amazed at the amount of people who have been booting it and wheelspinning like crazy to move their car.

Being a typical tight Yorkshireman, hearing the shedding of pound coins from tyres was like fingernails down a blackboard to me 😐

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Purplefunkmonkey, aye that was us. We rode most of the top section which was clearish under the trees. The snow was at its SPD clogging worst. Its been super icy near Kirkcaldy for the last couple of days. Can barely walk let alone ride. The others I was with on Sunday are away up to the Lomonds today and then Pitmedden. I hope the conditions are a bit better, but I somehow doubt it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘lets see your icy conditions!!!’ is closed to new replies.