Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Les Deux Alpes
  • comcon23
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

Bit of advice on riding abroad for the first time in June. Thinking of going to Les Deux Alpes area, does anyone know when the lifts open?

Also any advice on what we need to take as essential kit.

Cheers

pickle
    Free Member

from what i remember all the lifts open around the first week in July.

it was a few years back now though so could be wrong.

as for gear? spare brake pads, as they cost a bomb out there and you will go through a set or two if it’s your first time. a good helmet and if you have pads take them or if not and you’re staying in an organised bike place, rent some from them.

a small medi kit, make sure your tyres are up to the job

lunge

Essential kit? Ski boots and skis, there are piste’s open on the glacier all year.

v666ern
    Free Member

diablo is too steep, but enough about snow

AndyP
    Free Member

mmm…Les Deux Alpes. Pantani, isn’t it? Small boys, jumpers for flamme rouge.

hammerite
    Free Member

The Valentin is too steep too if the snow is of the hard/icey variety.

pickle
    Free Member

If it’s a full susser then maybe a spare set of bushes or bearings? or get a new set fitted before you go.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Via Ferrata gear for a more interesting route than the cable up to the resort from Venosc.

Based on last year’s 3 week trip to the area, and plans for this year’s 6 wk outing, here’s my list:

Spare brake pads – though I didnt even get through one set, it was dry every day
    Fork lube for lowers – if your forks leak lube like Ms AD’s seem to (or get a service before you go, rear too if in doubt)
    Maybe a spare tyre if you have one, tubes obviously if you run them
    Some brake fluid and whatever you need to bleed
    Full Face – personal choice, I havent bothered in the past but will on the piste runs this year
    Spare normal seat post if you dont trust your dropper to performace for 6 weeks!
    Biggest rotors you can fit under warranty
    Enough pairs of undershorts and t-shirts, it gets hot
    Tools
    Spare chain or a few links
    Always carry a spare mech between 2 of us, but have never snapped one on a holiday (Deux Alpes isnt the rockiest of places)
    Spare mount kit and bushings (or change before leaving if you’re bike is prone to developing play).
    Small bike lock, snowboard type deterant.
    Cider, the local houch is pants
    Chilli powder, ditto the food
    Teabags – I’m sadly English
    Phrasebook if you dont speak French (but you wont have to)

+ an ice axe and crampons if the snow is like it was early season in 2010

Seriously though, the same stuff that I would take for a week in the UK. But if I was going with a guiding company, a bit less.

dazh

Spare bike?

+1 on the chilli powder though. The french don’t do spicy.

ocrider

The french don’t do spicy.

Tubes of Harissa? just don’t get it mixed up with the tomato purée 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Or your chamais cream….

ocrider

Mintyarselard > Tzatziki 😛

glenh
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen, you need some clothes to make you look like this:

ianv
    Free Member

Last year the lifts opened on the 18th June, so I guess it will be around the same time this year. All the other resorts like alpe d’huez are later (first week july).

There are shops in deux alpes that sell pretty much every thing (expensive though) but if you have room to bring stuff I would say: brake pads, spare tyre, brake fluid, rear mech and hanger. You probably will not need them but its worth it just in case.

comcon23
    Free Member

cheers guys.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I found Les 2 Alpes to be very bleak high up. Some of the terraforming for winter action is a bit grim too. There is some really steep committing stuff in a couple of places, and any landing from a bail would be HARSH.

I’d run fat thick tyres and shin/knee armour is a minimum as you will get nailed if you ride at a meaningful speed.

Personally, I didn’t like it. Not enough true singletrack. Many of the trails were too formulaic for me. Berm, berm, hip, berm, berm, table, berm…

I preferred immersion in the forests below Alpe D’Huez.

purser_mark
    Free Member

They start readying the lifts mid June, officaly open start of July. There is soooooo much singletrack around there it is mind blowing. The stuff lower in the valley is better as you get into the tree line inmo also but it’s all good.

It’s quiet that time of year, the resort is still gearing up to the summer season so don’t expect to party hard.

Might be worth getting a guide as you will probably get more out of your days that way.

Take Chammois cream, lots of brake spares, rear mech hanger, big sticky tyes, sun block and blead your brakes before you go.

Be prepared to want to go back every year!!! 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Les Deux Alpes’ is closed to new replies.