Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Length of service at work ?? .. whats yours ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Made redundant today and found out a interesting fact about the lads i work with …. , im one of 42 to go between now and august and between us all we have 816 years service !!
    Ive only been there 12 years , but 1 bloke that finished today had been there 46 years !!! ….. he was 15 when he started
    Whats your longest service ?

mintsauce5
    Free Member

20 years january coming in the fire service , gets worse every day…lol 😀

TheTompy
    Free Member

I'll have been here 21 years in January.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

just over 2 years at my LBS (although I did abandon them for 6 months while I was at uni).

working in the same place for 46 years takes some commitment, I don't think I could do the same thing for that long! (although I guess many jobs you're doing different stuff all the time!)

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I am 34 and have worked here for 13 years, but in a lot of different jobs from marketing to sales to finance to operations. Its the only 'proper' job I've had if you only consider the fact that I've worked continously for the same company, did some temping before it.

the-muffin-man

24 years in a family business that went tits-up the beginning of last year.

18 months in current job.

uplink
    Free Member

23 yrs for me
    Another 2 & I'm taking retirement

yunki
    Free Member

about 3.5 hours

miketually
    Free Member

8 years here.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

2 months

Previously: 20 years

Previously: 8 years

Previously: I forget…

fatboyslo
    Free Member

17 years with my current employer ….

Though just now I am not sure how much longer I'll be there 🙁 ( not through choice)

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

about 3.5 hours

so about long enough to find the "Internet Usage Policy", throw it in the bin and log on to STW.

like your style 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

like your style

no no.. you misunderstand.. the OP asked for 'your longest service'..

mine is 3.5 hours

ourmaninthenorth

*4.5 years.
    *Pre that 4 years.
    *Pre that, I was a stoodent.
    *Current 2 months

Not bad considering I'm 33….

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

I will have done 35 years this September and can't wait to get my pension when I have completed 40 years

Might even go before then if I can manage, really don't want to get another full time job if I leave

Grimy
    Free Member

11 years here. There was a couple of blokes I worked with, jimmy and coggy, that retired only last year, who had worked together their whole lives having started off on the same apprentice intake, transfered when the company relocated and retired on the same day 😯 You'd think they'd be pretty fed up with each other after 45+ years, but you can still find them in the mens club every thursday night having a beer.

Drac

21 years come October.

maxray
    Free Member

5 years.

Pete
    Free Member

30 years for me…

samuri
    Free Member

I had 9 years at my old place, I haven't even started at my new place yet.

iDave
    Free Member

bloody hell – could think of nothing worse than years and years of service

my longest ever in one job was 4 years but that had enough travel to make it tolerable

don't you feel like you're missing out on so much by being in one place for so long?

and not wanting a fresh challenge every few years? very odd IMO

IHN

11 years in September.

Hoping I won't make it though 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

10 yrs
    8 yrs at previous

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

7 years at mine, 2 years before that. iDave you forget that a lot of people won't have stayed in one ROLE within that company! I know I haven't done longer than about 18 months in one role within my current job.

bruneep

20yrs done, 9 to go…………meantime unless Dave changes that.

Harry_the_Spider

18 year. Only 24 more then I can die.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

don't you feel like you're missing out on so much by being in one place for so long?

Technology has changed so much that my job has been constantly evolving during the last 35 years

Would never have thought when I was going round to customers houses fixing their one rented telephone that they would now be receiving their internet service on the same pair of copper wires

Another good reason to stay put for me is the final salary pension, they are nearly all closed to new entrants everywhere these days

Always been paid a fair rate and although I reached the highest engineering grade before management about twenty years ago never wanted to get any further
    Also why give up a job that is mon-fri at normal hours, not many of them left these days

So no regrets and good luck to the people who do move around, wasn't for me though and now looking forward to early retirement thank you very much

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

iDave – Member

my longest ever in one job was 4 years but that had enough travel to make it tolerable

11 years in my company. Have done a few jobs in that time though.

However, if you are happy and comfortably challenged in a job, a bit of stability for the family does no harm. Having spent my childhood living in different countries and attending something like 10 different schools being in the same place for so long is a bit of a blessing.

Plus I'm happy in my job and have enough free time to spend with my family and biking.

tootallpaul

5 months today as a volunteer with Voluntary Services Overseas.

I moved to Ethiopia on the 1st February, and my placement with the VSO is for 2 years.

Its hard work, but without a doubt the best thing I have ever done.

MrOvershoot

16 years so far, same company just different locations.

Today our firm announced that they are stopping long service awards 🙁

Its not the value of them just its going to save 4/5 of bugger all for a company with 30,000 employees and sales of $90 billion

FoxyChick
    Free Member

22 years.

chakaping
    Free Member

Two years and three months running my own business now.

I would find it hard to go back to being an employee.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

9 years in the prison service. Still kicking my own ar$e for leaving the council when i was a plant & vehicle fitter, I wouldv'e been retired now with 38 years in. 😥

monkeychild
    Free Member

13 years for me living the dream in the raf.

ton

10 yrs at this place.
    longest i have worked anywhere, usually get bored after 6/7 years.

Blackhound

34 years next month and I finish 5th October. To answer iDave earlier and agree with TT, final salary pension and free first class rail travel for life have been massive pulls. I am 51 and will never 'need' to work again. Probably will do for a few extra's.

Also not the brightest or most confident so grateful I could get a decent salary for so long on my meagre qualifications.

Next job is as an adventure racer (TD2011) or something else equally unlikely….

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

iDave – Member

As above, would take a huge hike in pay for me to forfeit my final salary scheme, and I'm not worth that salary yet, every time I am I get promoted internally anyway it seems. Besides I've moved around the company enough to keep it interesting…

t-p26
    Free Member

I walked away from a job with 25 years service,I valued my sanity more than the gold watch….
    I spoke to a former colleague earlier, he described me as UNsane!!

AlasdairMc

5 years on Monday for me. In that time I've done four roles, second one was a move across and then two up.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

12 years of shift work at the same place for me.The way it messes with your bodyclock is starting to take it's toll though.Still,keeps the wolves from the door. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Length of service at work ?? .. whats yours ?’ is closed to new replies.