Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • Time for Gordon Brown to go
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

They need to put the differences aside and sort it out asap or markets could go either way.

Markets shmarkets.

What do you actually mean – "markets could go either way" – psychobabble crap.

zokes
    Free Member

Oh my god! The Markets!!!!

SFW.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Doom mongers again…
    Goodbye NHS if Dave gets in and unless you're on £150K min you will lose out.

Can no one else see the irony in those statements.

grumm
    Free Member

Convention dictates that in a hung parliament the sitting government should get the first chance to form a government.

iDave
    Free Member

convention? worth ignoring that then

backhander
    Free Member

iDave + 1
    Whatever side of the fence you're on, it's plain for everyone to see that the tories won. No majority, but have still won fair and square. At least Clegg has a sense of fairness which many on here could learn from.

uplink
    Free Member

I'm sure when it's clear that the Cons will be able to command the confidence of parliament Brown will resign
    He's already requested that senior civil servants help them with anything they need

El-bent
    Free Member

Dave + 1
    Whatever side of the fence you're on, it's plain for everyone to see that the tories won. No majority, but have still won fair and square. At least Clegg has a sense of fairness which many on here could learn from.

Tories haven't won anything yet. And honestly, would anyone want Cameron as PM when he couldn't even garner enough seats to get his party first past the post and beat Brown?

First past the post is supported by both the main parties, can't suddenly start bleating about it being unfair when your man doesn't get the required number of seats.

Norton
    Free Member

What a load of nonsense – the Tories haven't won anything – they got just over a third of votes cast from a 65% turnout – how does that give them constitutional, moral or any other kind of authority?

backhander
    Free Member

They got 2.1 MILLION more votes and 48 more seats.

when he couldn't even garner enough seats to get his party first past the post and beat Brown?

WTF? They've taken 90 odd seats off them. FFS are you suggesting that we let the most unpopular party rule? Labour and lib dems don't have a majority put together.
    Edited for bad maths.

tinribz
    Free Member

With the tories offering Clegg well, **** all, Labour still has everything to play for.

It will be funny to see it all slip through the tories fingers because they are so entrenched in their own dogma.

And potentially we could have a coalition centre ground government that literally represents the majority of voters for once.

uplink
    Free Member

Last time this happened Labour had the most seats but the Tory [Ted Heath] didn't resign either

because that the rules

El-bent
    Free Member

No, I'm pointing out that those are the rules to which the political parties abide by. If Cameron becomes PM perhaps they should change it? Never going to happen.

They've taken 90 odd seats off them. FFS are you suggesting that we let the most unpopular party rule?

Not unpopular enough though were they?

You have also got to realise that while the Tories are the SINGLE biggest party, they are not the majority as the other parties have more seats combined.

backhander
    Free Member

If the tories get thirsk and malton, they and the DUP equal the LD and Labour.
    Alone they will only have 9 less seats than the other 2 combined.
    On top of the, there's the fact that Clegg actually has some morals and has stated that the party with the most should get first crack at forming a govt.
    Personally, I'd quite like to see a tory/LD alliance, they might moderate each other. And, going by your rules, it would be FAR more representative of the UKs votes than a lab/LD govt.

Waderider
    Free Member

Never mind Brown, I feel like posting a celebratory thread about getting Mandelson out of office.

I always tell folk you can't know someone you don't actually know, but I make an exception with him.

The embodiment in one toady man of all that is wrong with British politics.

porterclough
    Free Member

If the LibDems agree not to vote down a Conservative Queen's Speech, then Cameron goes to the Queen to ask permission to form a government. If Gordon doesn't vacate number 10 forthwith, the Queen sends the army in.

I suspect the last part won't be necessary though.

luked2
    Free Member

Listening to him droning away on the radio.

GO NOW GORDON!

CAN'T YOU TAKE A HINT!

He's like that guest you invite to a party who just won't go home when it's over, and keeps boring you to tears with his dull anecdotes even though he's the only person left and you just want to go to bed.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Gordon Brown will hang on until grim death, he was not elected to become PM in the last election and got the job by accident not by the ballot box. It was quite amusing to see him trying to act like a statesman outside No 10 this morning, get the hint Gordon time to fall on your sword!

aracer
    Free Member

Last time this happened Labour had the most seats but the Tory [Ted Heath] didn't resign either

By about 4 seats – not exactly the same situation as today!

Labour/Lib Dem coalition simply won't be a workable government – even with SDLP and Alliance they're still 7 seats short of a majority (though in reality given the terrorists don't take their seats you only really need 324, so they're only 5 seats short). They'd need the support of the SNP to get anything through (as no other coalition gives them enough seats).

zaskar
    Free Member

The conservatives got the majority but not the legal amount.

Few options and it is based on the Lib Dems and Tory negotiations.

Lib Dems will Back Tory Dave if they can agree.

Shock would be if Lib dems backed labour or choose to be independant which nobody can see but you never know.

How long will it be until we know?

aracer
    Free Member

The thing is, Gordon knows he's a goner whatever happens (even if Labour/Lib Dem do try to form a minority coalition it will be without him), so he might as well hang on for a few more days to give him time to pack his stuff. The constitutional question here is, if the current incumbent can't form a government behind him (I don't believe there's any way he can) does somebody else from the same party still have priority?

Talkemada
    Free Member

though in reality given the terrorists don't take their seats

Who are you talking about?

mattsccm
    Free Member

1. What the hell. Nothing will really change. Well nothing that will make a difference to the normal man in the street.
    2. Whats pissing me of is this pact thingy. Call it ignorance if you like but absolutley no where have i seen the idea that a governemnet can be anything but the party with the most seats. Ie Tories have the PM. Theyhave the most seats. Agreed they may not win the various votes within parliament. ONLY Now do I hear that its possible that 2 parties can get together and because they have more seats in total do they have the PM. Am I confuse/dim or totally effing furious. Lets say I voted LL. Its because I want them in. Not one of the others. If my LL vote went, say to labour, which put them back in I would be furious.
    Have I got this straight or not? Admit to ignorance partly because I disaprove of party politics. Too many MPs back their party when they should back their constituency that put them in place. Even and especially if it differs from what their party wants. Ditto personal preference.

porterclough
    Free Member

Who are you talking about?

Sinn Fein.

grumm
    Free Member

WTF? They've taken 90 odd seats off them. FFS are you suggesting that we let the most unpopular party rule?

I'm suggesting there should be a Lib/Labour/SNP coalition 😉 – which would be more popular than the Tories were. Honestly – the tories couldn't even manage to convincingly beat one of the most unpopular prime ministers in history, in the middle of a financial crisis.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Are Sinn Fein terrorists?

mattsccm
    Free Member

From above"Tories haven't won anything yet. And honestly, would anyone want Cameron as PM when he couldn't even garner enough seats to get his party first past the post and beat Brown?"
    But he has. He has more seats so he has beaten him. Like it or not he should be the Pm.
    Anyway back to the original post.
    Brown was C of E? hadn't noticed. Even so he has **** me up. I work,pay taxes, drive, live I the countryside, respect the law and occasionally use the NHS. In every case I am worse of now than 20 years ago. If he was C of E it his fault. He wasn't even voted in.

porterclough
    Free Member

Are Sinn Fein terrorists?

Not currently. But they never take up their seats in Westminster, it being the belly of the beast and all. So it affects the number of seats a coalition would need.

backhander
    Free Member

I'm suggesting there should be a Lib/Labour/SNP coalition

Oh god no. Headed by who? That's quite possibly the worst idea I've heard today. If any party should have the right to be part of a govt, it should be one with the most votes/seats (whichever) BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES THAT THE MOST PEOPLE WANT.

the tories couldn't even manage to convincingly beat one of the most unpopular prime minister blah blah

I'd say it was convincing personally. 2.1million others would as well.

luked2
    Free Member

Lib/Labour/SNP coalition

Gordon will love that. He's never managed to be prime minister by winning an election before, why should he start now?

El-bent
    Free Member

But he has. He has more seats so he has beaten him. Like it or not he should be the Pm.

Does anyone understand first past the post? Or are you all crying foul because it hasn't delivered the right result for you?

ElvisPresley
    Free Member

I like Gordon Brown and want him to stay. Are people not better of now than they were 2 years ago??

ThankYouVeryMuch

zaskar
    Free Member

breatheeasy – Member

Doom mongers again…
    Goodbye NHS if Dave gets in and unless you're on £150K min you will lose out.

Can no one else see the irony in those statements.

Doh! will read my posts before posting lol

Talkemada
    Free Member

Sinn Fein members would refuse to swear allegiance to the Queen, meaning they would therefore forfeit the right to vote in Parliament. Meaning that being there would be a waste of time. I see.

So Aracer's just being a bit inflammatory by calling them 'terrorists' then? Ok.

For a horrible moment, I thought Al-Quaeda had infiltrated British Politics…

Talkemada
    Free Member

In every case I am worse of now than 20 years ago

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Care to explain how?

Junkyard
    Free Member

it's plain for everyone to see that the tories won. No majority, but have still won

Backhander you need to run that by me again they won an election without gaining a majority…didnt all the parties win then by that standard? 😯

They got 2.1 MILLION more votes and 48 more seats

that is not even a majority of those who could be @rsed to vote let alone the electorate

. Ie Tories have the PM. Theyhave the most seats. Agreed they may not win the various votes within parliament. ONLY Now do I hear that its possible that 2 parties can get together and because they have more seats in total do they have the PM. Am I confuse/dim or totally effing furious. Lets say I voted LL. Its because I want them in. Not one of the others. If my LL vote went, say to labour, which put them back in I would be furious.

you cant be PM if you cant win votes in parliamnet hence why GB is PM untill he resigns or a no confidence vote. By convention the PM then resigns and/or an election is called. Cameron alone cannot win a vote of confidence so he is fecked basically. I don't really get your LL point = which party are they?- I go for you are confused personally

If any party should have the right to be part of a govt, it should be one with the most votes/seats (whichever) BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES THAT THE MOST PEOPLE WANT.

the problem is that MANY more people dont want them to rule than do want them …you seem to overlook that little inconvenient truth and the fact that combined lab/lib have more. We areall guessing as to whether lib dems voters would rather have a lab or a con government

Dont get me wrong here I think all parties have some sort of moral claim here but Dave is the best initally. He wont pay the price the Lib Dems ask for so I cant really see how this will pan out.

grumm
    Free Member

I'd say it was convincing personally. 2.1million others would as well.

Electoral system understanding fail once again.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is correct as, like your grasp. Dave has a simple majority not an absolute majority so his moral authority is not absolute

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Electoral system understanding fail once again.

yyyup 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

So Aracer's just being a bit inflammatory by calling them 'terrorists' then?

Maybe. I suppose I could have called them "ex-terrorists", but we're splitting hairs here, after all they're also Catholics, and you know what they say about Catholics? Once a Catholic terrorist…

Apologies for worrying you though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Time for Gordon Brown to go’ is closed to new replies.