• This topic has 61 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Leeds/Liverpool canal……………start point?
  • ton

just wondering if anyone has ridden it recently.
    and where in liverpool is the best place to start.
    would it be near trafalgar dock at vauxhall?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d start up around Maghull, miss out the urban bit.

voodoo_chile

Loddrik, spot on start around melling/maghull area also less fisherman up that end

ton

just looking at maps, thought maghull looked a good start point.

next question…………..good pub idea’s (real ale) around the 50/60 mile mark.

voodoo_chile

come off at parbold though not 50/60 mark and have a sly one up the wiggin tree

crispo
    Free Member

Can recommend the Top Lock at Wheelton, just past Chorley. Its one of my locals and always has some cracking ales on.

voodoo_chile

or the waters edge at appley bridge which is right on the canal

ourmaninthenorth

Don’t bother. View is great, but the replacement (“Miller & Carter” is like a bernie steakhouse).

Instead, off the canal at Parbold. Then to Bispham Green and the Eagle and Child. That is a proper pub – the ale is fantastic and always changing. Food good too (but pricey).

Let me know when you’re planning on doing this – I now live in the general area and would happily tag along if you fancy some company for a stretch.

Tom

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, and you could start at Southport and follow the Trans Pennine Trail before getting on the canal (there’s a traffic free stretch to Maghull).

voodoo_chile

ourman, not been there for a few years so apologies for my bum info ,also good info in including the cheshire lines as a nice starting point for traffic free miles

voodoo_chile

if you need any bits get off at shaw hall caravan park in scarisbrick and do a left out the main gate and HIGHON BIKES is just there great prices good stock ,guy who runs it worked for years at MERLIN so knows his stuff ,think his name is Mike !! topguy

CHB

Count me in on this plan!

ton

cheers fella’s.
    keep the idea’s coming……..especially the pub idea’s. 😉

meandyuk

I’ve been thinking of doing this for a while but I don’t think my group will manage the full slog in one go – is there anywhere decent half way to stay for the night?

takisawa2

How long is it if starting from Maghull ?
    Is it do-able in a day ?

crispo
    Free Member

How long is it if starting from Maghull ?

I think its about 115 miles. Ive never ridden it though so cant tell you how do-able it is in a day.

traildog
    Free Member

Leeds Liverpool canal and Trans Pennine Trial as a loop is supposed to be very good. It’s become a popular adventure for our club and we’re even thinking of organising an reliability type ride based on this route.

For the full route, they generally do Trans pennine to leeds in a day and Back via leeds liverpool in a day. They usually do it in late winter and it get’s slow going on the canal at some points but it’s good going in summer.

I’ve often ridden from my house in Chorley to just beyond Burnley and then back in a morning and a bit. So the full canal is certainly do-able in a day trip, but you’ll be tired! 🙂

ton

i will be doing this over 2 long slow steady days, with a good old night of beverages inbetween.

ourmaninthenorth

Didn’t realise highonbikes was a real shop – always thought it was an online only retailer. That’s another local source for extracting money from my wallet….

Yes, Mike is very helpful.

jimnicho
    Free Member

I’m doing the opposite direction in September to raise money for “Help for Heroes”.

I actually live at almost exactly the half-way point, in Clayton-le-moors, so I’ll be kipping in my own bed at the end of day 1. Let me know your budget for B&B and I can probably recommend somewhere.

There are a couple of tricky bits where there’s either no towpath or a tunnel. The most notable being Foulridge, where there’s a mile-long tunnel.

takisawa2

Quite intrested in this.
    Some good info HERE

voodoo_chile

yes ,bricks and mortar shop our man

Gary_C

I live about 200m from the canal in Blackburn, imho no pubs worth visiting on the Blackburn stretch.

Good call for the Top Lock at Wheelton, always has a good selection of ales on there.

project
    Free Member

The urban bit from the tobacco warehouse in Lpool to Maghull is quite well surfaced except the bit atround bootle, which is clad with glass, avoid the time from about 15.00 to 17.00 as the kids are coming out of school.
    For the TPT TRY http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk for maps etc.

carlosg
    Free Member

End to end the canal is 127.5 miles , a mate and me did it in just short of 15 hours 3 years ago for charity.

I was very tired (read absolutely shagged out) at the end and wore away skin in a very delicate place , my legs were sore for about a week . Looking back actually doing some training would have been a good idea 🙄

jimnicho
    Free Member

I can recommend a good indian restaurant within spitting distance of the canal, but I’m not sure how that would pan out on the 2nd day 😉

timc
    Free Member

Starting from Maghull, bit like cheating no? if you wanted to start from city, you would start from Liver Buildings, through Princes dock to Vauxhaul, they have just extended teh canal, not sure what access is like though!

Avoid Southport & the TPT though, mind numbingly boring, & pretty poitnless if your not a local!

If your still in bootle when the kids are coming home, your going to need about 3 months to get to leeds haha!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

voodoo_chile – Member

That’s a nice flat ride from the canal to the Wiggin Tree isn’t it?

Ton If you need to leave your car somewhere you can leave it at mine I’m right on the canal in the start area.

But I’d say the best place to start is here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=333117&y=397950&z=120&sv=333117,397950&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=707&ax=333117&ay=397950&lm=0
    You could roadie it from mine in about 15 mins

timc
    Free Member

Where are you Johnclimber? Im in crosby / City Center 🙂

Fairness rimrose valley is a good starting point, id still say city centre outside liver buildings though 🙂

voodoo_chile

dont wanna start by the redlion pub not a nice start ,i would start after bootle IMHO ,the air pistol boys were out today by the new bridge by the new tescos

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m tempted by this myself now, I haven’t ridden it since 1993. I’d probably do maghull to Wigan and back though. Nearly 7″ at the rear, a perfect towpath bike…

voodoo_chile

very winding past maghull ,you do develop tunnel vision after a bit looking at a 7 inch clearing of mud for hours
    john c climber ..wiggin tree ,yes bit of a climb out 🙂

normally on the canal anyone on a nice bike is doing about 25mph around Bootle !

JohnClimber
    Free Member

timc – email on route

voodoo_chile

Loddrik , no full body armour allowed between Vauxhall and Melling !

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ll save the armour for the loop line south through Norris Green!

voodoo_chile

handy on the norris green bridge ,very technical avoiding the burnt out mopeds ,drunks and scallies !

Junkyard
    Free Member

ton there is a pub about every 5-10 miles on canal so i would not be overly concerned about that
    Area from Blackburn to burnley is rough /bit of a shit hole and you need to detour at the tunnel after Barrowford locks but all signed.
    Surface can be variable as not all is proper footpath and some is mud- very hard work if it has been wet. Church is the half way point – there is a sign there. Depending on dates I will be up for this as well Forget maps get the Nicholson guide – may actually still have mine will route it out – but tbh you cant get lost !!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Count me in on this Tony… Sounds like a great plan 🙂

markgraylish
    Free Member

Pub crawls along the Leeds-Liverpool canal – ah, that brings back fond memories.
    I used to join the canal at Appley Bridge and there were pubs every couple of hundred meters in either direction.
    As per OMITN, would recommend the Eagle and Child in Bispham particularly if their beer festival is in full-flow… 😆

catfood
    Free Member

All this talk of Parbold makes me homesick, me mam lives about a hundred yards from the canal as it passes through the village.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Leeds/Liverpool canal……………start point?’ is closed to new replies.