Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • led gurus!!!! give me a hand…..
  • renton
    Free Member

right ive got this hid light ……

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-solstice-50-hid-li-ion-light-2

and i want to convert it to leds as the bulb is failing a bit!!

what do i need and will it be easy to do??

i think the battery is in quite good shape so can possibly use it.

is it cost effecient to do or should i run it untill it breaks and then get a dx light??

cheers

steve

z1ppy

take the lense off the lamp very carefully (there not an air seal unit so don't panic) and give it a wipe and stick it back on, be as good as new. A misted HID is not the end of the world, it only needs a clean.

Though I'd be interested in being pointing towards some simple DIY LED info

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if its 13 v a triple is the best bet – so you need a triple led and the power supply – the taskled bflex is the best IMO

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut757

You need to check that you have the physical room for the 35 mm pcb (MR11) andd that the pcb is mounted in such a way as to transmit the heat to the casing.

renton
    Free Member

tried taking lense cap off but bulb is sealed unit!!

renton
    Free Member

will the cutter kit give me any more light out put??

z1ppy

But HID lamps are not air sealed, apparently you cut off the lense with a craft knife, though not sure how you can 'glue' it back on as some-one used superglue and it damaged the reflector, would it just sit in place when back together?

IIRC Lumicycle used to offer this as a service…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cutter triple will be around the same light and the same battery life as a hid I think – depending of course on what the HID is

renton
    Free Member

arent the bulbs full of gas??

renton
    Free Member

so how do i go about getting over a 1000 lumen then?? i want a light better than my mates hope visonled thing

smudge
    Free Member

I have cleaned my old Hope Hid a few times now. just re-sealing it with a dab of silicone sealant. The rubber overall seal keeps it all together.

Cleaning the lense and reflector does improve the light to how it was.

renton
    Free Member

i think there are bits of reflector peeling off tbh

Jason
    Free Member

The bulb is full of gas, but it is the lense of the reflector that will have misted up. I have cleaned mine up in the past, I think I used some sort of clear high temp sealant I got from Halfords to re-seal.

z1ppy

arghh! 8)

renton
    Free Member

doh the bulb is sealed !! you are just on about the reflector

kinda666
    Free Member

renton – Member
    so how do i go about getting over a 1000 lumen then?? i want a light better than my mates hope visonled thing

You want the triple xpg led then! 35mm if it'll fit, with the SS cute optic (narrow)

renton
    Free Member

kinda666 have you got any links on what i need to order exactly for that lot then??

cheers

steve

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Renton – a quad of the latest crees will be approaching 1000 lumen in theory – in practice it will be less.

I am not sure if you can run a quad from that battery – a quad needs 14.8 v ish – a buck driver needs at least one more so needs almost 16 v minimum from the battery. A boost driver needs one less v – so must be under 13.5 volt maximum- so it depends on the battery voltage.

I am sure the triple will work as that with a buck driver only needs12.1 volt minimum

the other option would be to use a MCE kit – that needs different drivers depending how the dies are wired up.

Have a look on candlepower forums for more info.

You will do well to beat an HID with homemade LED conversions – but a quad should do it if you can get it to run.

Read up on the cutter site as well.

renton
    Free Member

cheers tj!!

renton
    Free Member

Just an update……

ive managed to take the bulb out of my light and then the lense off the bulb .

you would not believe how much shit come off the reflector!!! it looks new again 😀

cant wait to try it out and see how much light it has give me back

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘led gurus!!!! give me a hand…..’ is closed to new replies.