Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Leaving roof bars on?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I have decided i would like to just leave the new Thule roof bars i just fitted to my 1.3 Fiesta and just snap on the ProRide 591 when i want to take the bike out. Is this going to sting me in economy/noise?

Oh and i have passed my test/had car less than a week so have no idea what my current mpg is anyways 😉

Anyone else just leave them on?

BoardinBob

No difference at all for me. In fact I notice no decrease in MPG even with the bike on top

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When I used to do a lot of motorway miles, I noted the car did 1-2mpg less with the roofrack + bikeracks on top. That was a 2.0DTi Vecra estate. Adding bikes knocked off 4-5mpg

gonefishin
    Free Member

Is this going to sting me in economy/noise?

Yes it will affect both, just how badly will depend on the characteristics of your car. You could splash out an buy Aero bars but this will only reduce the effect rather than eliminate it. The best thing to do is to remove the roof bars when you're not carrying anything.

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

I tried leaving mine on for a month or so, I'd say there was a small difference but a difference all the same. I tend to take them off because my Fiesta looked ugly with them on, they didn't seem to suit such a narrow car.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

surprised they haven't been nicked. thieving chavs round here would have the bars off the top before you know what had happened

I'm surprised to hear that some people found little difference in mpg with bikes on top. My experience was horrendous

anyway, bikes are worth more than the car so inside they go!

mtbfix

If you are doing huge motorway miles it will be noticeable at the end of the month when the bill comes. If you are running about town and at lower speeds the difference will be negligible.

Jamie
    Free Member

I'd say there was a small difference but a difference all the same.

I assume there would be a small difference, but if i ended up using the bike carrier once a week then i reckon lining up and fitting the Thule 754s every time would be more annoying!

Guess time will tell.

neil853
    Free Member

I leave mine on top of my skoda octavia diesel all the time. It knocks off about 2-3mpg with just the roof bars and rack on (non aero bar type) and 5-10mpg with the bikes on the roof (3 bikes), but that depends on how many people i have in the car and how much kit too.

When i drove down to france last year with three people and all the kit for the week the car still did 40mpg which i was quite pleased with.

I don't really worry about the fuel econ, worth the little less for the convienience of the racks.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Undercover cops quite often leave the roof bars on their cars to hide the aerials and stuff. Not sure if it will affect you but you are less likely to meet 'serious' criminals

Jamie
    Free Member

Do most undercover cops drive crappy old Fiestas with a bike worth more than the car on top? If so then i reckon i can hold the disguise 😉

eckinspain
    Free Member

I noticed quite a big difference in mpg with the bikes on top. Tend to take off the bars if we're going on a long journey, but they're actually very usefull for quickly finding your car in the Decathlon car park!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I leave my bars and carriers on the top of my car all the time. But the car tends to stay home quite a lot so the mpg issue is not really an issue. Thule bars and carriers lock on so I am not worried about them disappearing.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I take mine off after i get back home but not for the mpg but for the fact that i think if you leave them on the feet will mark the roof

OmarLittle
    Free Member

i get slightly worse mpg but i use them at least once a week and i cant be arsed with half an hour (or more if there is a problem) of farting about getting them secure everytime i want to go somewhere with the bike. It takes long enough getting the bike and gear ready as it is without adding roof bar time in too

tinsy
    Free Member

I tried to leave mine on but the noise got to me, much quieter without them, and if you ever wash a car they get in the way too…

stumpy01

As already mentioned, if you are doing mainly 'pottering about town' type driving you probably won't notice any decrease in mpg. Motorway miles will dent your economy & on a smaller engine I would expect the dent to be larger than on something like a decent sized diesel.

I've never driven with just the roof bars on, but with bars/carriers & bikes I can easily see a 5-10mpg reduction.

My bars are Seat specific and the front ones located on the upper edge of the door aperture; this deforms the seal slightly and does lead to more wind noise.

WTF
    Free Member

I have a "fairing" fitted to front of roofbars and it may or may not help fuel consumption when bikes aren`t fitted but it almost cuts out wind noise especially when sunroof is open.

Jamie
    Free Member

@ WTF

Now that is a nice little touch.

Plus it is an excuse to bosh a spoiler on my fiesta to go with all the Halfords tat i am supposed to be blinging it up with :mrgreen:

Seriously tho, where you get it?

MrOvershoot

On my old WeeMobile© I left the bars & 3 carriers on all the time as it was a right arse to take on & off but with my estate car with roof rails it’s a 2 minute job.

Economic driving has never been my strong point but I did notice a "slight!" increase in consumption with 3 bikes on the roof on motorway trips.

Another thing to consider (and one reason I now take them off) is your car sat on the drive/outside your house with quality bike carriers fitted only advertises you probably have quality bikes on the premises?

Jamie
    Free Member

Another thing to consider (and one reason I now take them off) is your car sat on the drive/outside your house with quality bike carriers fitted only advertises you probably have quality bikes on the premises?

To be honest that is probably my main concern. The bars have locks and the carriers will always be taken off as its just three quick release jobbies so hopefully it should be ok.

psling
    Free Member

What I'd like to know is, why do people leave ski holders on their roof bars all through the summer..? 😕

Jamie
    Free Member

psling:
    What I'd like to know is, why do people leave ski holders on their roof bars all through the summer..?

To show they are better than the rest of us as they can afford to go skiing.

BoardinBob

I find that with the bike on the roof I drive a lot more coservatively through fear of losing it off the roof so on reality my mpg improves!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I leave mine on as it's a faff taking them on and off every other day.

i must admit the windnoise and whistling does piss me off

Jamie
    Free Member

valleydaddy:
    I leave mine on as it's a faff taking them on and off every other day.

i must admit the windnoise and whistling does piss me off

We need to do a group buy of these:

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Leaving roof bars on?’ is closed to new replies.