Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lapierre or Ghost – What's the consensus
  • maxbee
    Free Member

Hi,

Ok so this is a slightly boring ‘which bike shall I buy’ question, but I don’t actually know any people who have ridden a Ghost and only one mate with a Lapierre Zesty so it’s hard to gain reviews.

I am currently deciding between a Lapierre Zesty 314 and a Ghost AMR 5900. The Ghost has a slightly steeper head angle and 120 travel rather than 140. Not sure how much you really notice this. Spec is much of a muchness, bit better on the ghost. Both are down specced compared to the current xc bike but finance prevails, so I shall just have to cope with it!

I finally want a bike that goes uphill well. My current 5 inch bike is a commencal meta 5.5 which is a bit of a pig to ride. On the other hand, I am a downhiller at heart and ride xc with that in mind. I somehow need to find the bike that stikes the balance.

Anyone got any particularly strong feelings about either the Zesty or the Ghost based on experience?

Thanks! 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Zesty all the way or why not a Spicy then you can DH too??

dhrider
    Free Member

Lapierre everytime!! Much nicer bikes. Not really many Ghost bikes around.

Kato

Zesty climbs pretty well for 140 out back

IamSam
    Free Member

Hey,

I’ve been ridding my Zesty for two years now and really love it. Climbs well as long as your willing to shift your weight ‘properly’ forwards which gives it loads of grip out back. The bike really starts to work properly when it gets a bit of speed up on the downs though it becomes a lot more agile and responsive the quicker it goes so really encourages a bit of bravery.

It suits my style of ridding which tends to be a bit point and shoot, not even sure if that couts as a style but they are really confidence inspiring bikes.

I have no experience at all of any Ghost bikes and my Zesty’s an older model so my advice may be a bit poor.

Ho hum

popstar
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call Zesty XC, as it’s more hooligan. But then struggle to justify of getting a Spicy, unless you do a lot of air (over 5 foot etc) then Zesty will serve you well.

Can’t comment of Ghost though, but looking into it you will have to push real hard in order to use all that 140mm of travel constantly. So guess 120 for UK is sweet spot.

Some people call -Downhilling- rad, but do you ride real fast and fly into skies? If not, then you ride XC and most 100mm or so bikes will do fine.

HTH

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both and I’m a dealer for Lapierre but chose not to take Ghost! I found the Ghost quite heavy for what it was and the suspension more bobby than I like. While it took out every slight bump, it had a really low bottom bracket.

All of it opinion, both from me and my colleague but someone else may find them amazing…

Philby

Saw a Ghost road bike in the LBS and the welding stood out a mile and looked like an amateur had done it – obviously not as important on an MTB, but looks matter IMO. So may be worth looking at the welds if you want a smooth looking bike.

maxbee
    Free Member

Hey,
    Thanks. I am thinking Lapierre for sure now.

True true that 140 is a lot of travel for xc. In many ways I was thinking my xc bike should be a hardtail with good angles as it would do my riding goodto get one again. But then there are those days you really want your 5 inch travel bike and you think sod what’s good for my riding, just want to have the most fun. It’s basically when you are out on an xc ride in the woods and find some DH style trails.

I do a lot of donwhilling already and race DH every other weekend during summer, I have a new session 88 and was riding a turner DHR for the last few years. I therefore really don’t think I need a spicy, other than the mega avalanche, it’s just too big. I also have a hardtail jump bike and a road bike, so most ground is covered.

I have heard one very good review of the ghost and that is it.

But I reckon the decision is made – zesty, done, ordering it this morning, it is probably the most popular bike out there and no one has ever slagged it off, why wouldn’t I get it.

Thanks. Never been on here, it’s useful!

beanum

Surely the equivalent LaPierre is the X-Control, that’s got to be a better climber than the Zesty?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve just got a Lapierre Zesty 514 from the awesome people at The Bike Chain in Edinburgh.

It has inspired me to get out on my bike every day for the last week when I had been in the cycling doldrums.

I am an all round mountainbiker and enjoy DH as much as XC and have found the Lapierre the most versatile of all the bikes I have ridden. It climbs almost as well as my super light Hei Hei with no perceptible bob and descends better than my Titus Motolite (which it replaces). It’s more lively than the Titus, but still plush and assured.

I am amazed to find a bike that is so good all round for climbing and descending.
    I can’t comment on the Ghost.

rewski
    Free Member

2010 514 here, amazing bike. Have you looked at the Cubes?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zesty 714 it just delivers. Fast down and up and great through anything you throw at it. I havent found any vices in it in over 18 months of riding, trail centres, Atlas mountains and Sierra Nevada in Spain.

chakaping
    Free Member

He’s considering the 314 though, which is certainly a good bike but does come with a number of compromises IMO (as a 214 owner).

The QR fork is a bit rubbish on a £2,300 bike in 2011, the shock is not up to the job and the frame is a bit heavier than some rivals.

For that money I’d have a look at the Canyon Nerve AM myself, looks very promising in terms of geometry and VFM.

maxbee
    Free Member

Ha ha, it’s more like ‘she’ is considering the 314. Don’tget confused by the name.

Only considering lapierre, ghost, orange, commencal, saracen as I get a good price on them.

I was never that bothered by the Orange Five to be honest, and I am too much of a snob for the rest.

Forks – I have a set of Pike Air 454’s and set of new Sektor’s top spec. I’ll put the sektors on the lapierre. Sektors are, quite frankly, amazing. I have come to the conclusion that all air forks are rubbish, the pikes and the fox’s from the lapierre will shortly be on ebay.

Order placed anyway so no need for other bikes to be considered. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Order placed anyway so no need for other bikes to be considered.

Was going to say if you own (and presumably like) a Trek session 88 already, why not look at the Trek Fuel EX? Probably better all round trail bike than anything else you listed, just not quite as in vogue any more. Certainly majors in the VFM stakes compared to a Lapierre anyway.

But enjoy the new bike anyway, I’ve still not ridden a Zesty, would like to find out what the hype is about.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Jeez – did you actually ride either of the bikes?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lapierre or Ghost – What's the consensus’ is closed to new replies.