Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • lake garda
  • stavaigan
    Free Member

Going on a family holiday at end of June without bike, however hoping to sneak away for a day and wondered if anyone has any recommends on where to hire a decent bike (plus helmet) or perhaps one of the holiday/guiding companies who might take me out (with a bike) for just a day? Also any reommendations on non mtb stuff to do in the area/good guide book?
    Thanks

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi, try summitdown http://www.summitdown.com/

lucien

Where in Garda are you going?

AJames
    Free Member

Went there last summer with family and bike, stayed in south west area, had a fantastic time with loads of great riding. Saw several bike shops, dare say they do hire. Have maps and guid books if you want them for free – wont be using them again.

Head to Torbole at the top of the lake and hire a bike from Carpentari bike shop or the greatly titled “Mecki’s Fu****g Perfect Bike Shop (honestly!).

Carpentaris bike shop are closely linked with Luca’s Bike Shuttle uplift service – suggest if you are only riding for a day you do the Mt Tremalzo classic. – van uplift for 45 mins, climbing on the bike for 200metres then downhill most of the way back in to Garda, probably takes between 2-4 hrs depending how fast you go and how many stops you make. Excellent views.

Book the bike and shuttle in advance as they get booked up in the high season.

It’s a fantastic place to ride. Go enjoy.

stuarty
    Free Member

Or if your near. MALCESINE
    You can hire bikes and then cable car them up mount baldo

Git
    Wished I was there now
    Favourite place
    Plenty of paragliding up there as well

stavaigan
    Free Member

Many thanks people, much appreciated. Sounds like plenty scope. I’m staying on caravan site close to Sirmione at the south of the lake. Have a hire car. Marin your suggestion sounds spot on. Will also have a look at Malcesine. A James if youre sure maps/books would be great, would be happy to make a contribution. What do you need me to do?
    Thanks again.

hh45
    Free Member

Bike shop by Lake in Riva del Garda, at the northern tip of the lake hires Cannondale Prophets (in 2008 at any rate) and connected to someone doing uplifts and guiding. Probably Carpentari judging from description above. Didn’t speak a lot of English (Austro – Italian) but well equipped, business like sort of place. Obsessed with having the tyres at 50 psi!

stuarty
    Free Member

Sirmione is absolutely georgous.
    Well worth a wander and the bestest icescream shop

Doent forget gardaland
    Bus services plenty n frequent

Preggo
    Did I say how much fun gardaland was 🙂

footflaps

There are some great trails there – did a week’s riding last year with Saddle Skedaddle. Their local guide was called Luca – he can arrange guiding / bike hire etc for you – really nice chap – contact via FB: https://www.facebook.com/bortolotti.l

Luca Bortolotti by brf, on Flickr

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Was up in Riva last summer – Prophets still available for hire, also lots of decent cube bikes. and go to Meckis, its great – older italian roadie rocked up while i was having a coffee there, stripped down to just his bibs and then sat smoking a cigar and drinking espresso corretto before heading back off on the bike. Cool place.

AJames
    Free Member

Strava… We stayed in salo so think what I have might be useful, yours for free my man, recycle and all that. Email me your details and I’ll send em over. andyjames2@me.com. Enjoy

chickenman

Marin: 200m uphill at Tremalzo?
    This is a great ride if you can get a lift to the top (you WILL die if you ride up the road in June!). Fantastic techy shortcuts down to Pregasina and if you follow the old road down from there (ie, not through the tunnel) you can follow a hard descent down to the mainroad (signposted Riva in red paint on the road.
    Rode a circuitous descent that avoids route 661 down from Altissimo; rather too much road..you can join the bottom half of 661 later on but it’s very rough and not much fun unless you’re on a long travel rig.
    The Vittoriale half an hour up the west side of the lake from Simione is worth seeing; make sure to see the collection of D’Annucio’s wardrobe..you’ve never seen shoes or dressing gowns like this before (not for under 18’s!)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘lake garda’ is closed to new replies.