• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Max.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lake Distrinct Route Advice
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Planning a ride in the Lakes this weekend, and just wanted to know if the planned route is rideable.

We’re heading over Stakes Pass down to Langstrath, then hoping to head south east down the next valley from Rossthwaite, and onto Grassmere Common before heading back south to Grassmere.

Can anyone tell me how rideable this route is, we’ve checked the maps and there seems to be plenty of bridle way. I’m prepared for a bit of hiking, but not too much!

Thanks in advance.

elliptic
    Free Member

You’ll be pushing all the way up to Stake Pass from the head of Mickleden and on the upper section of the climb to Greenup Edge. Crossing the head of Wythburn (just after Greenup Edge) will be boggy.

Otherwise it’s all pretty rideable and good value with a couple of tasty descents – Langstrath is a lovely quiet flowing valley, and the path threading down Far Easedale is a very under-rated trail IMHO.

Oh and if the sun comes out and you feel like a bracing dip then Black Moss Pot in Langstrath is the Lakes premier natural plunge pool 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks Elliptic, we’re ready for a bit of pushing where you’ve mentioned, and if the rain holds off a bit this week, the ground shouldn’t be too bad.

Really looking forward to the Easedale descent, but I think I’ll skip the Black Moss Pot!

Cheers!

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Descent from the top of Stake Pass into the valley has just been ‘fixed’ – it’s now a smooth, raised zigzag then you follow the beck down to the bridge. Don’t follow the bridleway on the map, sticking to the right hand side of the beck – it’s more fun to cross the bridge and follow the (unmarked) path on the left side. It’s a techie rock garden before you drop down to Stonethwaite.

Not ridden the second half of your planned route over Greenup Edge I’m afraid (keeping meaning to) – I know Lining Crag is a steep carry though.

Less interesting alternate route if you need it – Rosthwaite up to Watendlath, up by Blea Tarn, down to Thirlmere is the bridleway; the cheeky / quicker route is over High Tove. Then it’s tarmac from Dunmail Raise to Grasmere.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Cheers Tiger, we’ll be pouring over maps tomorrow in the pub, so I’ll suggest your alternatives. Thanks a lot!

elliptic
    Free Member

Descent from the top of Stake Pass into the valley has just been ‘fixed’

Ah – that’s a shame.

Agree about taking the paths along the west side of Langstrath, not the actual bridleway as marked – I’ve always ridden it that way and it’s never been an issue.

(I was just about to come back and mention that but PT got in first!)

crazy-legs

Less interesting alternate route if you need it – Rosthwaite up to Watendlath, up by Blea Tarn, down to Thirlmere is the bridleway; the cheeky / quicker route is over High Tove. Then it’s tarmac from Dunmail Raise to Grasmere.

Rosthwaite UP??!!
    That’s one of the best technical descents in the Lakes going Watendlath -> Rosthwaite, it’d be a horrible carry going the other way for almost no reward on the short drop into Watendlath…

anc
    Free Member

and if the rain holds off a bit this week

Hehehe have you seen this weeks forecast for the lakes!!! Wednesday and Friday look like washouts….Not that that’ll make much difference as we’ve had significant rain in the last few weeks anyway. Greenups ok, you’ll carry most of the way up and it’ll be boggy in places on the way down. Stakes descent is very average IMO as PT says its been fixed!!! The valley is excellent however.

grumm
    Free Member

Rosthwaite UP??!!
    That’s one of the best technical descents in the Lakes going Watendlath -> Rosthwaite

Agree.

I stayed in a camping barn in Rosthwaite recently right at the bottom of it – and pushed up just to do it, great fun. 🙂

parkedtiger
    Free Member

If you’re on the top of Stake Pass – it’s a bit of a detour, but you could always take a left and head over to Angle Tarn. It’s a boggy slog to the highest point (behind Great End) but the descent down to Styhead, and then on to Seathwaite, is excellent.

Rosthwaite UP??!!

If the weather’s bad (which from the forecast it could be), heading up to Watendlath, High Tove, Thirlmere would be good alternative to fall back on (although it’s VERY wet up on High Tove !), rather than heading up over Greenup Edge. Otherwise, it’s a long way on the tarmac 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

Man up and hike a bike Rosset Ghyll, then down past Angle Tarn etc 😛

weather looks awful for the next week. We are coming up from Shandy land on the 9th so hoping it breaks by then.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thanks again for the input chaps!

Max
    Free Member

Don’t completely write off the bridleway on the right hand side of the river as you go down Langstrath – it’s a great challenge and well worth a look, just of a different character to the track on the left.

The return descent of Far Easedale to Grasmere is just sublime. You’ll pretty quickly forget the pain of the carry past Lining Crag…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lake Distrinct Route Advice’ is closed to new replies.