Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lake DistrictVirgin – Suggestions?
  • gregsticle
    Free Member

Hiya all

I have just found out that I’m being whisked away for three nights by girlfriend to the Lake District (Ambleside) for my Birthday tomorrow.

Technically I’m fine on the bike, but my GF is a true novice, so any big hills or downs will not be enjoyable for her. She has suggested that we take the bikes, but never having been there myself, I don’t want to commit her to riding something that she will not enjoy.

Does anybody know if there are any really easy trails of say 1 – 2 hours that are fairly flat that we could ride together? The most she has coped with so far is the red route @ Thetford, and I think that was pushing her comfort zone.

Thanks all

Greg

P20

From memory, Biketreks used to do maps of varying grades. They’ll probably be able to suggest something.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Grizedale Forest could be the best bet – you can link together bits of natural trail with bits of fireroad and make something pretty easy going, or have a play on The North Face trail if you fancy the manmade stuff. It isn’t too far from Ambleside either.

Another option would be to ride up past the Drunken Duck, follow the green lane up over Ironkeld and drop off down the bridleway that brings you down to Arnside (from memory) – technically easy by Lakes standards, but a lot of fun! Could probably drop down from there to Langdale and loop around Loughrigg Terrace which is also pretty good fun, especially on a hot day.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes I’d agree, Grizedale forest for your partners sake. It’s near Ambleside, nice views, nice setting, not too hilly if you chose the right routes. If you go to the bike shop at the visitor centre they might have some easy trails or if you have a map you could work out a forest road route that keeps you on reasonably level contoured ground.

slimtubing
    Free Member

you might find one in clappersgate but she’ll be younger than you would expect!

IGMC and sex offender register.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

nope i dont know of any…. sorry
    good luck with your search though 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

From Ambleside I’d say Claife or Kentmere for a novice – much nearer than Grizedale

JxL
    Free Member

altura is a nice and smooth trail, thought granted it a bit further (IMO worth the travel).

Good blue route, and south loop is doable for beginners (north is a bit more tricky with lots of roots).

bwakel
    Free Member

The Lakes and easy riding are a bit incompatible! However, there’s a nice loop that you can start from either Near Sawrey or Red Nab (parking here) on the west side of Windermere that takes in Claife Heights. It’s a really nice area to ride of a summer’s eveing with beautiful views.

If you start at Red Nab you can cycle down the side of Windermere to Belt Ash Coppice and then up the bridleway to Far Sawrey then up the road to Near Sawrey and up onto Claife Heights on the bridleway. There are several routes down from Long Height. It’s not a long ride and you could extend it by taking in Grizedale Forest as already mentioned but it’s nice to do as a short evening ride. It’s still hilly and some of the hills are steep but it’s about the easiest access to decent views that I can think of.

The ride over Loughrigg Fell from Brow Head Farm, just outside Ambleside, to Tarn Foot is superb but the climb is pretty steep. None of it’s technical, just steep and relatively long. You can carry on up to Arnside and Sunny Brow (which is a lot more challenging on loose rocks) and down to Knipe Fold (great descent) and back round over Claife Heights.

Barry

grumm
    Free Member

I reckon going up to Whinlatter wouldn’t be a bad idea – blue route is easy but fun. Tis a little way to travel.

There is a some nice easy bits you can do from keswick too like out along the old railway line.

Loughrigg Fell/Terrace is nice with great views, handy for Ambleside and relatively easy. It’s a fairly sustained climb to get up for a novice possibly though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s a fairly sustained climb to get up for a novice possibly though.

it doesn’t get much easier than Loughrigg!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lake DistrictVirgin – Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.