Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Kyle Strait pad users that moved to better pads help!
  • mrplow
    Free Member

I have been using Kyle Strait knee pads for over 2 years and they have been very good. I’m now looking for new knee pads and want to know if there is anything else I should consider from people who also got on very well with Kyle Straits.

One requirement is that they must be machine washable. I know that this may not be recommended for Kyle Straits but mine were fine in the whole and my skin can not tolerate unwashed garments.

I will happily buy another pair but want to know if something else may be better. :mrgreen: Cheers for the help.

fishandchips
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of raceface ambush pads, bit more supple as they’re d30 padding and can remove them with shoes on. Not sure if they’re machine washable, haven’t tried it. Overall, as comfortable as my old 661 evos, except lighter, more features and cheaper too!

thegman67

I can’t see past Kyle Strait pads

Liftman

Fox launch pro

mrplow
    Free Member

Can anyone confirm if the Raceface d30 stuff is happy in the washing machine, I thought all D30 was no no?

Liftman – have you stuck the launch pros in the machine?

Liftman

Yup and there fine, I found that the launch pro was a better fit than the straits

v10
    Free Member

Used them for years and then switched to the TroyLee KG 5400 – probably don’t provide quite as much side protection (but they do have a solid cup) but are less than half the weight and super comfy

Coyote
    Free Member

Race Face Digs have served me well when needed.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

+1 for Raceface Ambush pads, prefer them to both pairs of Kyle Straits that I’ve had. Haven’t put them in the washing machine, so can’t comment on that…

jedi

scott grenades. rip off of straits but with an actual hard shell cap

mrplow
    Free Member

I can try the Fox Pros locally so will.

Jedi – do the Scotts go through a wash cycle OK?

I have read many places that D30 does not like washing machines but not heard of the actual results. I don’t have time to hand wash etc so this is a deal breaker. The Raceface do look nice as well.

Need equivalent side protection as my frame likes to hit me during normal riding.

AndyA
    Free Member

+1 Fox launch

jedi

yeah. as with all pads. dont let the velcro flap about in the washing machine as it tears the pad material

Boardstupid
    Free Member

+ 1 Launch pro, great knee pads

climbingkev
    Free Member

Race Face ambush again (the d30 ones with shin protection). Been through the wash a few times as per instructions/website so far so good.

cookeaa

I’m in a similar boat to the OP I’ll need a new set of knee pads soon, my 661 Evos have done a grand job but they’re starting to fall apart and as I managed to pay just £25 for them a fair old while back, I won’t be able to get another pair for under £50 now it seems, Most of the other recommended pads seem to be ~£45 or more.

So looking at all the others out there the KS start to seem like the best priced pads available, is there any compelling reason to spend twice as much for a D30 pad or other features Vs paying a shade under £30 for some plain old Kyle Straights?

I do like my EVOs but I’m just not sure its £50+ worth of like, despite having used them for a shade over 2 years now and found the D30 does seem to work in a tumble, it’s not like the KS are Bad pads… Right?

mrplow
    Free Member

Depends how hard you hit your knee. My KSs has got a little softer on the knee protection after 2 years of washing. The Scott would not do this. I will try on Fox locally first and take it from there. May order the Scotts to try the fit.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

mrplow
    Free Member

Thank you for the advice on this thread. Tried the Fox Launch on today and it is a step more comfortable than the Kyle Strait on me and has a nice amount of extra padding just above the knee. :mrgreen: Nice knowing they will go through the machine wash happy enough.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Kyle Strait pad users that moved to better pads help!’ is closed to new replies.