Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Kris Holm FR 29er or Nimbus Dominator 29er Unicylce rims
  • ferrit32
    Free Member

Calling Tazz or any other free thinking non conformists niche whores.

I am looking for some rims for my Fisher Ferrous 29er but am toying with having an interchangeable fat front set up. To match up with the fat front I wanted to build the widest set of 29er wheels I can.

Has anyone used the Kris Holm 47mm drilled out unicycle rim? Unicycle UK is currently only showing one in stock but would it be worth waiting for a special order. The alternative is the Dominator at 42mm wide which is in stock but the weight difference over the KH is significant. (903g as opposed to 780g)

Anyone informed enough care to comment?

peanut
    Free Member

I too have often thought of this route so would be very interested to hear your experiences. The widest rim on the rear for me is a P35, but I am limited by frame clearance as to the biggest volume tyres I can get in there- currently a Panaracer Rampage 2.35. Would love to get a frame that can handle a wider tyre/rim, but would also love a wider/fatter 29er tyre in general. Why are they not available?

ontor
    Free Member

I know the KH rim and they’re exactly what they seem. strong, wide and Roger over at unicycle.com is a star.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

long term kris holm rim user here.
    very strong, pretty hefty, never buckled on a rigid/htail/full sus 29r.
    and i was pretty heavy on them in every sense.

ferrit32
    Free Member

cheers guys, are they worth the extra moola over the dominator? I appreciate there is a weight saving with the KH

tazzymtb

dominators are ace and double skinned, you can either drill lots of holes in the inner skin and knock a lot of weight off or run them ghetto tubeless with no worries at all.

you can get a monster 29er frontage with a wtb dissent 2.55 on it and they rock at about 8psi.

the weight saving of the KH sort of falls apart by the time you’ve factored in a big ol’ inner tube

ferrit32
    Free Member

Perfect no downs for either then, looks like it’s down to a coin toss!

The Doninators are in stock so they have that going in their favour and they also dont have a machined sidewall which is a pet hate of mine when running disks.

cheers again chaps

tazzymtb

Calling Tazz or any other free thinking non conformists niche whores.

actually I’m not sure about that statement, have I been dreadfully insulted and should I have my second call upon this young ferrity chap and demand satisfaction?

coastkid
    Free Member

KH 47mm rims here, 2.55 WTB tyres, on Pro 2 hubs, cannot bend them 🙂

Semi fat, Regular fat, Extra fat by coastkid71, on Flickr

ferrit32
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

actually I’m not sure about that statement, have I been dreadfully insulted and should I have my second call upon this young ferrity chap and demand satisfaction?

No insult intended Tazz, unless of course you have recently bought a Five. I was merely refering to your ability to see past the norm’, the status quo, the run of t’mill etc

However if satisfaction is required, the choice of weapon lies with me and I therefore intend to recreate the fabled duel between Otto Von Bismark and Rudolf Virchow of the 1860s. The weapons being pork sausauges, one laced with roundworm!

tazzymtb

LOL, buffoon, I knew I liked you for a reason!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Quick question. Is Semi-Fat version built with standard 29er forks or something wider? I’m toying with idea of trying out such set up…

Cheers!
    I.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Kris Holm FR 29er or Nimbus Dominator 29er Unicylce rims’ is closed to new replies.