Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Kona 2+2 xc
  • baseta26
    Free Member

Anyone got any opinions on this bike?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64991

Looking at upgrading from my hardtail. Or has anyone got any other options for about £1500.

Would I be better going for a bike with more travel?

Please help

gaffney
    Free Member

I have a 2+2. I got it about 6 months ago, I couldn’t find better value at the time, and it suited my riding style.

I’m happier with XC, climbing and tackling nice flowy single track than I am going hard at downhill sections, and this bike really suits that kind of riding. I’m doing the Bucks Off-road Sportive with it in a couple of weeks, I think it should be pretty good for a long day in the saddle.

Here’s mine:

Here’s a quick brain dump

Good Stuff:
    * It climbs super well. Feels really solid when climbing tech stuff or fire road. It doesn’t really feel like it’s moving at the rear at all when climbing.
    * Descending and rough terrain activates the rear. It’s a very active ride, not floaty. Maybe it’s the way I have it set up, but it’s not plush at all, so don’t expect to floating over obstacles like on an AM bike. But it takes the sting out of the trail, and you get really good traction through the rough stuff.

Stuff I changed:
    * The ardents it comes with are not suitable for UK trails. I put nobby nics on it over winter and was much better. I don’t think the ardents are going to be much good for summer either so looking for summer options.
    * I hate the Elixir 5s with a passion. SUPER hard to set up. Once you do get them set up it takes about 5 mins for them to get clogged up with shit. Swapped them for the cheap Deores from CRC a few months back and they’re much better for setup, not as good for stopping power.
    * 1×10 is no problem at all. Bike feels better without all that extra shit up front 🙂
    * It didn’t come with a QR seat clamp
    * Upgraded to wider riser bars

Stuff I want to change:
    * Will eventually swap the seat/seatpost/stem for lighter stuff
    * Short cage clutch mech at the back
    * XT brakes

Bad stuff:
    * Setting up the rear shock is hard as it only really activates properly when you’re riding it through tricky stuff. So you have to take a shock pump out on the trail and noodle with it
    * Tape up the headtube, the hoses and cables have worn-off the paint in a couple of spots.

Tom83

I was down to a 2+2 or an Anthem, went for the 2011 x3 Anthem in the end from Pauls cycles. Might be worth a look.

baseta26
    Free Member

what size is your 2+2?

baseta26
    Free Member

also any more opinions would be great.

when does this bike get out of its depth?

baseta26
    Free Member

Bump

gaffney
    Free Member

when does this bike get out of its depth?

When the terrain gets too rough for it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kona 2+2 xc’ is closed to new replies.