Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Knackered Hope Mini Dilemma
  • chamley
    Free Member

Hello, I’m looking for some ideas about repairing or scrapping my hope mini rear brake…

Somes years ago I managed to round off the bolt that holds the pads in my caliper, only now this has become a problem as they need a really good bleed and the pads are also getting a bit close to the end of their life.

What are my options for getting this bolt out/getting this brake running properly? I’ve come up with either mashing the caliper to get the bolt out and hoping a new one will go in, getting a new caliper (if thats even possible nowadays?) or getting a totally new brake.

If anyone has any better ideas i’m all ears, i’m uneasy about scrapping an almost functional (and expensive) bit of kit

relliott6879
    Free Member

If you send your brake back to Hope, they will strip it, clean it, fit new seals and oil (I think pads may be extra, you’d have to check), bleed it and send it back to you in near enough brand-new condition for £45 an end. I’m sure they’d replace your rounded bolt for pence whilst they were at it, if they even charged you any extra at all.

rickk

Split the caliper which will then give you good access to the long pin part of the retaining ‘bolt’ – I would think at that point yo will be able to get it moving and remove and replace.
    Ideally you should buy a service kit to let you replace the O ring once you’ve split the capliper, you ‘may’ manage without replacing this but probably a bit of a false economy.

Gribs

The Hope service is excellent value as it includes new pads and the brake will come back as good as new.

nbt

I’ve had the same issue a couple of times.
    If you’re handy with a spanner, then splitting and bleeding the brakes is not that hard – I’ve done it without issue. However, I’ve also used Hope’s services and they are fantastic

chamley
    Free Member

Ah great, all top advice, thanks for that. Hope may or may not be getting a call depending how successful I am splitting it open!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Knackered Hope Mini Dilemma’ is closed to new replies.