Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Kitchen taps… High pressure? Low pressure?
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

So, the kitchen really needs to get done in the next few days so we can move in, the whole water into a sink thing needs to be sorted out though and as I was perusing the taps on the Wicks website I chose a relatively inexpensive looking tap and then noticed it said “low pressure only”.
    Surely a kitchen tap is designed to work off mains pressure?
    So, how do I find out/work out if it is high or low pressure? It comes out at an impressive rate so does that make it high pressure?

tonto
    Free Member

If it feeds from the mains supply ( which it probably will as it is a kitchen tap) it will be high pressure.
    If it feeds from a header tank in the loft which is less than 3 meters above the tap,( as in many upstairs bathrooms) it will be low pressure.
    Ymmv I am in no way an expert.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

A lot of Mono mixers these days tend to be sourced from Europe which have high pressure supplies. Sometimes UK houses struggle for enough water pressure, most houses in the UK don’t struggle with too much pressure. You can fit restrictors to the taps or supplies to reduce the pressure if need be.

I’d buy the ones you like the look of.

spooky_b329

I did the opposite and accidentally ordered a bath mixer tap for high pressure only, result was 15 minutes to fill the bath 🙁 Annoyingly I had already discounted it due to this but then changed my mind at the last minute and forgot. Bath fills super quick from a low pressure tap from the same range, so you can’t rely on flow rate as an indicator of pressure.

chiefgrooveguru

One thing I learnt from having a kitchen installed is that with combo boilers you need a minimum back-pressure to operate properly. In our case the boiler is very close to the kitchen tap and it demands a minimum flowrate to fire and stayed fired, whilst the bathroom taps, which have much more back-pressure due to the height difference and pipe lengths, will provide low flowrates of hot water, without the boiler cycling on and off confusingly.

Kitchen taps only work off mains pressure if you don’t have a header tank, and many houses do.

spooky_b329

Kitchen taps always run off the rising main, as the cold water tank is not drinking quality water.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Right, straight from the mains, so I want a high pressure one then… I think…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes

waynekerr
    Free Member

It’s your hot water supply you want to be concerned with, not your cold, do you have a combi/pressurised system or is it gravity fed? if so is your tank high enough to provide enough pressure, 1m =.1bar

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It is a combi boiler so mains pressure. The kitchen tap currently spews out hot water at a similar rate to the cold if you open it right up. So still thinking high pressure then…
    Might even be forced to ask someone in a shop…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen taps… High pressure? Low pressure?’ is closed to new replies.