Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Kit that goes on and on
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

9 years, ridden all over the world. Still smooth and have never even opened them up for a regrease.

959’s

rob-jackson
    Free Member

pretty impressive

jedi

hadley hubs too

yesiamtom
    Free Member

they look like 540 equivalents?

I have the XTRs and one year on no problems.

_tom_
    Free Member

Trailstar + Pikes. Battered by my clumsy riding and still going strong. Both bought 2nd hand and pretty old as well.

peakmonster
    Free Member

Oh dear here we go
    pulls up chair and waits for Children to start squabbling

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Fox Hi-Frequency shorts that are at least 11 years old, they’re just starting to die now 🙁

igm

Standard for a decent pedal I would have thought – certainly the original Time ATACs (the £30 ones) last that long (and much longer).

kevj
    Free Member

Hi-Frequency shorts

Use them often?

rp16v
    Free Member

i have a wheel off one of my first mtbs back in early mid 90’s unbranded hub and rim from gt palomar u can spin it go for a pint and itl still be going when come back never been serviced and buttery smooth.
    also have a needle bearing headset thats lasted a good 8 years or so
    old stuff is great

el_boufador

You know, when I saw that thread title I instantly thought ‘SPDs’. All my sets still work with absolutely no problems ever. Outstanding.

RealMan
    Free Member

I bought a dodgy set of carbon “ritchey” wcs rizer bars off ebay for like £45 2 years ago. They’ve been crashed so many times, and still haven’t gone.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

yesiamtom – Member

they look like 540 equivalents?

I have the XTRs and one year on no problems.

These were the ‘XTR’s’ back in 2002.

honourablegeorge

Opened up a set of Pikes after six years of abuse, never serviced, hardly a speck of dirt in them.

Changed the oil, and they’re still going strong.

peakmonster
    Free Member

Lol
    thought as much

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have front mech that must be 15 years old and still works fine

angryratio
    Free Member

hope xc hubs tend to be long lasting.

samuri
    Free Member

Most oldest thing is a shimano XT front hub. It weighs more than the sun though.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Almost everything* on my KHS Montana Pro is from 1993/4 and still working

It gets regular outings and has racked up plenty of miles with just a bit of grease/oil here & there every so often to keep it running smooth

*chainrings, chain, cassette, brake pads, tyres and tubes are not from ’93/4 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

some of my spd pedals are wearing. some of them are tighter than others with eh same shoes. Not just the release tension.

Mind you – all bought second hand hears ago so might be fairly lod

benjamins11
    Free Member

spds do last forever. I am on my second pair and I have been riding for about 15 years now. First pair I upgraded after about 8 because they were single sided, this pair going strong with no attention for last 7 ish!!

takisawa2

Was going to suggest Thomson, but suppose a stem doesn’t really wear out. 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Before I opened this thread I was going to say exactly the same: my 959s have been faultless, year in, year out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Buffalo windshirt. Must be 20.

Aidan
    Free Member

Thomson seatpost: I bought one in 2005 and it has been on my most used bikes pretty much the whole time since.

I tried a couple of FSA carbon posts and they snapped after a few months, so back to the Thomson.

It’s even withstood monster saddlebags on the Iditarod 350 and 1000, and on the Tour Divide twice.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just installed a 1989 Deore mech on a road bike with Campag ergo’s Still working fine. Not had tons of use in last 5 years but its always been on a bike thats ridden. Rollers been replaced .

Harry_the_Spider

Shimano DXs from 1997.

Can’t kill ’em.

j_me
    Free Member

Paramo cusco jacket. Must be at least 12 years old. Sent I baack to get a zip repair last year and it came back with a new zip, cleaned and treated FOC.

nedrapier

UN72 BB, Suntour XC Pro Thumb shifters, LX front Mech. The only things left over from ’99 bar the frame.

The LX front hub still good but it’s needed occasional attention unlike the others. Now on the bench, replaced by a disc hub.

xiphon
    Free Member

Patriot LT ’00 frame…. still going strong..

ericemel
    Free Member

Just replaced my 8 year old carbon monkeylites over the weekend. There was actually nothing wrong with them at all….just felt dubious about 8 year old plastic 🙂

trailmonkey

more shim spuds for me, 520’s bought about 2005 still going strong and they are totally battered from granite/pedal strikes.

DezB
    Free Member

Pair of cheapo Nike baggy shorts. Can’t remember how old they are, but I’ve used them for commuting at least twice a week. Had them in my last job and been in this one for 8 years! The inner was long since dumped, but the outers are indestructible.

squiff
    Free Member

My Gore bike wear windstopper jacket which I will have had 4 years this winter.

Dispite the hammer it’s had it still in great condition and still does the job.

Best £105 I have ever spent. 😀

TN
    Free Member

I have a Paramo Velez smock that I have had for so long I can’t remember and it is still fantastic. It gets a lot of abuse and I just wash and reproof it every so often and it just keeps on going. I would love a newer, lighter, prettier one but I just can’t justify it while this is still going strong.

Also, I have a panasonic TZ1 camera (they’re on to TZ20 currently) and the same applies. It has been dropped on various hard surfaces, ridden over, got wet and still it takes brilliant photos.

I am one of these tight people who has to have justification to buy something and while kit is still doing what it is supposed to, I can’t buy replacements. So I just have to find other shiny stuff to buy instead. 🙂

13thfloormonk

Think we should keep mum about any kit which lasts well, the manufacturers will only notice the thread and immediately ‘upgrade’ the design so its 5g lighter and coincidentally barely lasts a year… 🙄

MrKmkII
    Free Member

marzocchi bomber z1s! the originals! if only i could fine a formula-IS or formula-post mount adaptor, i’d have them on my inbred in a flash 🙁

xiphon
    Free Member

MrK mk11

I think I might have a Hope C2 brake which would fit?

_tom_
    Free Member

hope xc hubs tend to be long lasting.

Forgot about this, I’ve had a front QR model for years (I think I maybe bought it in 2005 or 2006) and it’s still spinning very smoothly with no play. Mind you it doesn’t exactly get abused any more as it’s on my “road”/bridleway bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

Assos shorts. Tens of thousands of miles, five years, still look unfeasibly new!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Kit that goes on and on’ is closed to new replies.