Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Kielder tyre choice advice
  • ace_sparky
    Free Member

Shortly I will be making my first visit up to Kielder to ride a few of the trails there as part of my prep for my first Kielder 100 and I am looking for some tyre advice from local riders and those that have rode the trails & raced up there so I can get a good fast rolling combination. My bike is a 2008 Anthem, a light weight(around 23lb), short travel(85/90mm) full sus and currently run a tubed set up (although I may change to a new set of lighter stans tubeless wheels before the race, dependent upon funds available)

The tyres I have at the moment in the garage are :

x2 Schwalbe 2.1 Nobby Nic Evos, part worn
    x2 Schwalbe 2.0 Racing Ralph Evos, very worn
    x1 Panaracer Razer 2.1, as new pending repair to small tear in center of tread
    x1 Schwalbe 2.1 Racing Ralph Evo Pacestar, as new (500g)
    x1 Schwalbe 2.0 Furious Fred Evo, as new (315g)
    x1 Continental 2.0 Race King Supersonic (420g)

(also some winter mud tyres, but not looking at running any of those :?)

My race day tubes are Continental supersonic <100g ea

I have tried the race king on the front around my local trails and I found that I had to run it at a very high pressure >38psi otherwise it felt very squirmy when riding out of the saddle, when normally I can run a ralph on the front at about 24psi.

Any advice on a race day tyre combination using what I have already have or anything else i.e. Schwalbe Rocket Rons would be great.

Thanks for taking to time to read this, cheers.

uplink
    Free Member

Not much in the way of sharp rock
    It’s mainly hard pack so the fastest rolling ones you have

ac282

Racing Ralphs run tubless worked OK for me.
    There were a few people who had trouble with Freds last year.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Noby nic on front and racing ralph on rear normally what I ride there. depends on the trails there using if they stop to the manmade its a good setup. If there is natural stages it may be a little muddy as the ground holds the water

Jeffus
    Free Member

I ran maxxis Advantage front 2.25 and Crossmark rear 2.25 , tubless stans kit on Flows, I managed to burp the rear on a heavy landing,but they performed really well ..

fasthaggis

I am going to take two tyres.
    One for the front,one for the back.
    They are the same brand that I have been using for everywhere that I ride.
    No point saying which brand ,as I never think it matters that much (to anyone but me)
    I will not align any logos with valves, but may take some care making sure that they are on the right way round ,and at a pressure that my bike and I both enjoy.
    I will turn up at Kielder in Sept and just ‘get on with it’.
    I am sure I will be fine after a few small adjustments along the way .
    This is my plan on the tyre thingie ,I am just glad you didn’t ask about which backpack to use 🙂

Northwind

I’ve only ridden the deadwater side, it’s pretty sandy in places so can be loose- their idea of hardpack is a lot less hard than most armoured trails, which is very nice but can catch people out. Quite a bit of rock too. I just use whatever’s on the bike tbh but something with a bit of bite on the front does help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kielder tyre choice advice’ is closed to new replies.