Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)
  • Kevin Spacey – why is he allowed the I’m sorry card…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…why is it some Hollywood stars are allowed the I’m sorry card ?? He miraculously doesn’t remember!

Quinton T knew of antics that went on with HW but yet nothing is said about him.

Seems the rules or lack of are made up

Thoughts

wwaswas

Who says he’s allowed it?

nickhit3
    Free Member

especially as he killed Gwineth Paltrow too. Thought we’d finally nailed him with this..

jam-bo

weinstein tried the same approach at the start of this. didn’t work for him.

NewRetroTom

I’m telling you he’s Keyser Söze!

km79
    Free Member

Because he is the president.

Drac

He’s openly apologised not denying it or admitting it, he says he can’t recall the event.

That’s not the same as being allowed to happen.

johndoh
    Free Member

And of course now someone has spoken out about Spacey, you can be sure others will too.

I think there are going to be a great number of people in the public eye now looking over their shoulders now the floodgates appear to be opening.

wwaswas

he says he can’t recall the event.

but he also said he distinctly remembers being so drunk he can’t recall what he did.

GrahamS

Surely everyone is allowed to be sorry?

Whether that is enough to satisfy the press, public and law remains to be seen.

kimbers

johndoh – Member
    And of course now someone has spoken out about Spacey, you can be sure others will too.

I think there are going to be a great number of people in the public eye now looking over their shoulders now the floodgates appear to be opening.

This

Im not convinced this hasnt finished his career, no idea what the chances of him being charged over this, but youd hope it is fully investigated.

There are apparently serious allegations against a number of MPs from all parties, of various levels of sexual assault, I can see this snowballing

thecaptain
    Free Member

First, a one-off drunken pass (ok, assault) isn’t quite the same level as what some others have been accused of (would change if multiple others came out of the woodwork, but not yet AFAIK). Second, he wasn’t in the same sort of position of power. Third, a nice bit of distraction with “I’m gay”!

GrahamS

but he also said he distinctly remembers being so drunk he can’t recall what he did.

Not quite how I read his statement on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/KevinSpacey/status/924848412842971136/

jimjam
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member

…why is it some Hollywood stars are allowed the I’m sorry card ?? He miraculously doesn’t remember!

Quinton T knew of antics that went on with HW but yet nothing is said about him.

Seems the rules or lack of are made up

Thoughts

My first thought is I wish I didn’t have to google everything in your OP to understand what the hell you are talking about but now that I have I will attempt to answer.

First of all, is Spacey outed by this? there’s that to consider. Then there’s probably the soft bigotry of low expectations – ie perhaps some people just assume that’s how gay men in Hollywood act.

As for Tarantino, everyone in Hollywood knew about Weinstein. There’s speculation that several famous actresses are keeping silent because they slept with him for parts. There’s no point singling out one guy if everyone was complicit in what looks like rampant serial sexual harassment.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oddly enough I remember something about his behaviour appearing on some gossip mailing list back in the 90s or early 2000s.

My second thought is WTF were the parents doing? I don’t think my parents would have let me be invited to a nightclub by a man (or woman) twice my age. Course I’ve not ended up as an actor so perhaps in those sorts of circles this stuff is normal.

Drac

I recall being drunk at my 21st but not every event. That was a long time ago.

I think it was the alleged victim who claimed Spacey was drunk though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Third, a nice bit of distraction with “I’m gay”!

and in other news….

woodster

It was a long time ago and he was drunk and if rumours are to be believed, it might be difficult for him to remember this one specific incident over all the others.

I think coming out is pretty low, it’s got to have been done to try to distract the press.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m not defending anyone here, but does an accusation now mean guilty? Is trial by media a valid court?

Just something to consider.

vinnyeh

What I suspect we’re about to find out, is that just about everybody with some power over others has abused that power in some way.
    Sometimes, sexually, sometimes not, but I think that the number of accusations is going to be so high that most of it is going to be brushed under the carpet in some way- I’m sure I saw somewhere earlier that 30 something Tory MP’s were up fro investigation. And that’s only one side of one house.

Going forward, a different story- at least in the short term people are going to be a lot more careful in their behaviours, maybe it’ll stick, maybe not, but it’s hard to get rid of ingrained privileged behaviours.

vinnyeh

I think coming out is pretty low, it’s got to have been done to try to distract the press.

TBH, I thought he’d either come out years ago, or it was so widely known that he was gay that nobody gave it two thoughts.

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s certainly an element in some of these mea culpa which is “Don’t remember this at all/like described but I’m sorry”. Depending on your viewpoint this is either:

1, Admitting it
    2, Trying to defuse things rather than attack a victim
    3, Denying it

It’s too much to hope that any celeb where there’s no proof will come out and say “Yep, I did it. sorry” so we’re left with nebulous statements that can mean whatever the reader wants (until loads of people come out and say that they were also assaulted).

gobuchul
    Free Member

Powerful people in Hollywood sexually exploiting young actors.

Who’d of thought it?

jimjam
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

I just had a look at Kevin Spacey’s filmography and it looks like his career in film and tv only really starts around 1986. Now he was acting in theatre before that and might have amassed a reputation as a future star but he couldn’t really have had that much “power”.

As an aside, it’s worth looking at the careers of Bryan Singer and Victor Salva in order to gauge the complete lack of morality, or the tolerance for immorality in Hollywood. Singer has repeatedly been accused of sexual misconduct with young teenage boys and Salva is a convicted pedophile. You would imagine such a thing would ruin careers – nope.

Drac

I see it as ‘you know what I’m going to tell my sexuality while I’m on as so many have been obsessed by it for years even though it has **** all to do with anyone and this story will just fuel the speculation.’

woodster

TBH, I thought he’d either come out years ago, or it was so widely known that he was gay that nobody gave it two thoughts.

Absolutely. It didn’t need to be said before and it doesn’t need to be said now.

theboatman
    Free Member

Certainly not sure he has got away with the sorry card?

But if the details of the story are accurate, I’m pretty sure I would start with saying sorry. But I wouldn’t expect that would make it all go away.

I don’t think blurring the situation by coming out acts as anything but a diversion, possible cynical attempt to garner support.

GrahamS

I just had a look at Kevin Spacey’s filmography and it looks like his career in film and tv only really starts around 1986. Now he was acting in theatre before that and might have amassed a reputation as a future star but he couldn’t really have had that much “power”.

Quite – Spacey was 26 when this alleged incident happened in 1986.

That’s also where his Filmography starts on IMDB. In 1987 he had a bit part in “The Equaliser” series and a part in a TV Movie. Not exactly a big star at that point.

geoffj

I didn’t know he was gay.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have you heard about Joe Cocker?

Drac

Or me not that it would matter if I did. Seems some on STW have a gaydar that reaches all the way to Hollywood.

DezB
    Free Member

How is “nothing said” about Tarantino??

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/19/entertainment/quentin-tarantino-harvey-weinstein/index.html

And to me, it’s pretty obvious why Tarantino kept quiet, the same way the women kept quiet, until now.

Spacey’s gay? *shrug*

kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtjdbHG96k[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

Spacey would have been 28 at the time and had a handful of tv roles by then.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think we need to know what he actually did and put things into some perspective, if it was a drunken pass that’s one thing.If it was an assault or abuse that’s another.
    There seems to be a ripple effect [ like after the Saville revelations] whereby having let the bigger villains off the press we round up a pathetic entourage of relatively lesser offenders to satisfy the public wish to see something done.
    I’m not minimising what may have been serious behaviour, just saying we need a bit of objectivity or we’ll have to arrest every male in Hollywood over a certain age .

Drac

Spacey keep talking and walking babies in his basement?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Spacey would have been 28 at the time and had a handful of tv roles by then.

That’s also where his Filmography starts on IMDB. In 1987 he had a bit part in “The Equaliser” series and a part in a TV Movie. Not exactly a big star at that point.

However, he was quite a theatre actor by then, probably very well connected, starring alongside the likes of Jack Lemmon according to wiki.

GrahamS

I think we need to know what he actually did and put things into some perspective..

Fairly clear description of the alleged events in The Guardian article:
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/30/kevin-spacey-anthony-rapp-apologises-accused-sexual-advance-14-year-old-boy

And even more in the original BuzzFeed article:
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/anthony-rapp-kevin-spacey-made-sexual-advance-when-i-was-14

Klunk
    Free Member

However, he was quite a theatre actor by then, probably very well connected, starring alongside the likes of Jack Lemmon according to wiki.

hardly stellar

jimjam
    Free Member

gobuchul – Member

Still a nobody in Hollywood terms though. That being said, it could turn out that Spacey is into young(ish) boys, not unlike his good friend Bryan Singer.

This might be just be the start.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 334 total)

The topic ‘Kevin Spacey – why is he allowed the I’m sorry card…’ is closed to new replies.