Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Kielder 100 Survey….
  • Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

As the K100 will soon be upon us, I'm still unsure about what bike to use. Do I:-

1. Use a light (ish, 23lbs) HT as a 100 miles is a loooonnnnnggggg way but it will be harder on the backside / back etc..

or

2. Use a full Suss (just under 30lbs) as it will be a little easier on the backside / back etc….

So what are you lot planning to use? 🙄

warton
    Free Member

On One 456,
    prob with my Talas's at 120mm and quite firm,
    1.95 small block 8s

MrSparkle

Did it last year on a 'medium' weighted SS hardtail. I wouldn't say there's owt that required full sus from a terrain point of view. Like you say 100 miles is a long way but you'll be training loads, right?

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Rocl Lobster Tig Team SL with 80mm recons on the front on SS.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Yeh, I agree a FS is over kill but I'm just thinking of the comfort factor..

Training….Starting tomorrow. 😉

fatboyjon

Ti 29er hardtail. Spot on I hope.

ac282

I'll use my full sus since its lighter than my hardtail anyway.
    I didn't ride the 100 last year but I ride around kielder about 2 or 3 times a year and I have had a look at last year's route. There was a lot of forest road where a 30lb bike will be making your life harder than necessary

njee20
    Free Member

Light HT fo sho.

jonb
    Free Member

I've got a choice between a 456 or stumpy. I'm taking the stumpy because even though I won't need full suss it's actually a lighter build and more comfortable for 10-12 hours riding.

The easiest way to tell would be a couple of long rides on each to see which you prefer. The difference in the amount of fatigue i feel between the two was a clincher.

phyncra
    Free Member

Scott Spark RC

Ti29er
    Free Member

Ti29er – but I may not make it due to an injury (where the L lat' quad muscle ties into its tendon down by the knee is strained (?) )that is not healing (physio has had 3x sessions with me and can't understand why it's not healing, so next Thursday she's having a 2nd physio in with her to suggest other options 😥 ).
    I may habve a place up for grabs.

glenncampbell

Crikey Tim – if it's not a dodgy pedal it's a dodgy knee! Hope it gets better soon!

p.s. Am riding on a hard tail – full sus not needed unless the course has changed massively 🙂

ciron
    Free Member

A reminder to those that are camping that you need to book your pitches. I've just done mine, taking it to 84 out of the maximum of 100.

There is a second field if more need it but there's no showers in that one.

I'll be on my plastic hard tail.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Rode an epic last year – was perfect. With your options i'd stick a suspension seatpost on your hardtail and run highish volume tyres.

njee20
    Free Member

I wouldn't do anything you're not used to frankly. Just ride it!

dickydutch

Road an Ali hardtail last year. Not uber light. Didnt feel too broken after finishing it. As has been said, theres nothing on the route that I'd say would be a heap easier on a full sus.

jonb
    Free Member

camping now at 85!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I do have an adjustable seat post on my full sus that would fit on my HT. That could be the way forward……. 😕

ac282

How will an adjustable seatpost help?

njee20
    Free Member

Great idea, force yourself to stand up on the descents and make yourself even more tired!

Mistral
    Free Member

Guys, where on their site do you book camping or am I being stupid.

sofatester
    Free Member

How will an adjustable seatpost help?

Some of those forest track are pretty steep 😉

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

it has a bit of "bounce" over the bumps or is using that seat post a bad idea??

Camping, stuff that, we are staying here. 😆

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/Webpages/UKPark/ProductDetailPage.aspx?ISDLNK=1&SCODE=KIEL&ACODE=LP2516&TIDPDUKPARK=accommodationInfo&bid=97&aid=CD760&pid=140&Source=APIXMLFEED&opt=&isPKMD=true

NewRetroTom

Did it on a rigid singlespeed last year, which was very comfortable. Most of the fireroad is pretty smooth, and there isn't all that much that isn't fireroad.

Mistral
    Free Member

Very nice that Whos_Daddy its put my T5 for the night to shame.

You have to ring the campsite direct to book a place. Ive just rang her now and managed to get a place on the nicer field.

Camp Site

Mistral
    Free Member

Meant to say I'm on 29er HT circa 24lbs

phildowling
    Free Member

Rigid Singlespeed, 100 miles has enough time to break anything, i'm hoping it will just be my spirit not my bike!

Done way over 100miles in 12 hr Solo's before so feeling ok for it but wondering on the actual conditions problems if the weather sucks etc

phildowling
    Free Member

Accomodation issues for non campers!
    I'm in Newcastleton but nice hotel. Thought about the four poster option but need sleep on the friday and no chance on the saturday night! 😳 🙄

postierich
    Free Member

SS 16:32 tyres @ around 25psi for a bit of travel.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Finished it on a HT last year and will probably start it again this year on the same bike. Reason being it's comfortable and reliable and I'm very used to riding it.

Toying with a light FS but I've not spent nearly as much time on it so not sure I can rely on it for 100 miles.

TOP TIP – carry two or three sets of bedded-in brake pads…

ferrit
    Free Member

I'll most likely be doing this on a Nicolai full-bouncer that weighs in about 30lbs…

Only other option is a V-braked hardtail with only a big ring… No chance.

forge197
    Free Member

Planning to use a HT with 2.1's, though my training has gone to pot so be lucky to reach the first checkpoint!!

trusslebabes
    Free Member

I'm doing it on my Soul, probably running Racing Ralphs and just pushing through. Been training for a while now and spent Wednesday doing three laps of Dalby's red route with a mate who is also doing K100, felt pretty good after it with no major aches etc so on schedule for the 4th of Sept. Should be a good ride if not a little bit long 😀

vdubber67
    Free Member

100mm XC hardtail for me.

phildowling
    Free Member

What is it with the brake pads? I can get 6 months of riding normally but 2-3 sets in 100miles?

Did 2 24solos and transwales on the same set last year. Is it just horribly gritty?

Kahurangi

456 with revs for me. Not tooo heavy and pretty comfy. I thought about a suspension seatpost but might just work on my bore strength instead.

jonb
    Free Member

If it's dry then pads won't be an issue. I've worn through pads front and rear in 3 hours in the wet. I'll be taking 3-4 pairs. They weigh nowt, but if you run out it's race over.

Kahurangi

p.s. 12 camping places left!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 Survey….’ is closed to new replies.