• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Just got some new glasses, is this normal?
  • grumm
    Free Member

I have been having vision trouble for a while, used to wear glasses ago but lost them and never bothered getting them replaced until now.

I tried them on in the shop and they seemed to help with reading and focusing, but now I've got home and looking at the laptop – it appears to taper inwards quite a bit on the right hand side. Things looks normal from a distance but when I get up close the perspective is all wonky. Seems ok if I close either eye.

The glasses are mainly to correct astigmatism in one eye. Obviously I will go back to the opticians if this persists, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Will my eyes get used to the glasses and the effect go away – or is the prescription wrong?

roper
    Free Member

I normally find they improve your vision. If it's worse then maybe there is something wrong. 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

astigmatism is tricky, close one eye and rotate your head, if things look better with your head tilted at a slight angle then they have got the angle wrong. This happened with my last pair of (somewhat expensive) glasses, if i tilted my head slightly one way everything got clearer. They made me new lenses with a tweaked prescription and all is now good. They may have also measured you up worng and got your pupil centre measurement worng, this is also important for correction of astigmatism i believe

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

Hmm, tilting my head doesn't seem to really make any difference – but closing one eye or the other does seem to sort it out.

tegski
    Free Member

You would have to tilt your head but leave the glasses still otherwise the glasses would be still on your face at the same angle… 8)

the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

tegski – Member
    You would have to tilt your head but leave the glasses still otherwise the glasses would be still on you face at the same angle…

genius! 😆

I was going to point that out as well.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

wrong

this would only be the case if you tilted what you were looking at as well. Spectacle lenses are a complex 3D structure unlike round camera lenses that are in general a simple concave/vex circle

roper
    Free Member

but what if you were on a conveyor belt?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you could just use the tilt/hill setting instead of having to move your head

tron
    Free Member

What the other bloke said. Astigmatism correction. Freaks me out when I change from glasses to contacts (glasses correct astigmatism, bog standard contacts don't), despite hardly having any astigmatism. Everything seems out of perspective for a while.

And they do get the prescriptions wrong sometimes. Some opticians cock up very rarely, some places cock up much more. Often the big nationals employing locums.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks folks – well I guess I will give it a few days to see if I get used to them and if it's still weird then back to the opticians.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

It does take a while for your brain to get used to new glasses but your eyes should be balanced so things should look broadly similar through either eye.. Makes me feel travel sick if the lenses arent set up properly

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you'll probably just get used to it. Modern high index lenses and minimalist frames are great but you sometimes pay the price by having to compromise on distortion and chromatic aberrations around the perimeters of the lens.

thehustler
    Free Member

basically yes it is normal, you might also find that you try to take a "giant" step up or down steps or kerbs for a day or soo as these will either seem closer or further away than normal, its just a case of leting your brain adjust to the prescription.

GrahamS

Yeah I notice exactly the same thing as the OP with my new glasses.
    Didn't get it with my old glasses bizarrely and I don't think my prescription changed.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Specsavers?

DrP

My eyes generally aren't that bad, but i still prefer glasses on….
    However I take them off for cycling, and the first few minutes make me feel like the bike is either 2 feet high or 10 feet high – kerazy!

DrP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Just got some new glasses, is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.