Viewing 40 posts - 17,681 through 17,720 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yep, anyone that listens to LBC is in the same camp as a Daily Mail reader.

I suppose that inicludes anyone that listens to that Owen Jones when he is on there, or the well-know right winger Maajid Nawaz.

perhaps it is anyone that makes comments like that that deserves comparison with a daily mail reader…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s not propoganda when it is just pointing out acttons Corbyn made, can’t get past that.

It’s a full on opinion piece not referencing any facts though isn’t it. Sorry it’s filed along with the crackpots in the mail, Jeremy Vine and Jambys Brexit Bulletin lot. Bring facts to debate, it’s better that way.

tjagain

Has anyone actually found any evidence of anything anti semitic corbyn has done?  So far I have seen nothing that meets the description.

Junkyard
    Free Member

of course not for its all BS , smear and innuendo.

I don’t come on the forum so often now as it is so sh1t slow and the useless bunch of 9 to 5ers that are responsible clearly don’t have the competance to do anything about it…

Every cloud 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

If anything good comes out of this sorry debacle it might be that more people understand the difference between anti-semitism and criticism of the Israeli state’s reprehensible behaviour.

grum
    Free Member

TurnerGuy, do you genuinely think that racism/bigotry is a bigger problem among the left than among the right-wing? And that they receive a proportionate amount of media coverage?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I doubt that,  the whole agenda is to make the two terms synonymous so they can shout racist at anyone who suggests Israel should behave better than it does.

chestrockwell

Yep, anyone that listens to LBC is in the same camp as a Daily Mail reader.

For the most part maybe but I think you’d be hard pushed to lump James O’Brien’s mid morning slot as that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

True but yet to see anything that resembles serious journalism on their site or links, keeps coming up with thin substance less opinion bits rather than anything researched.

chestrockwell

Yeah but ultimately they consider themselves to ‘Lead Britain’s Conversation’ so it could be argued that it’s a station solely about opinion, not actual fact.

Anyway, I sound like a fan but I am not. I occasionally tune in when not in the mood for music in the car when O’Brien is on as I don’t care for Jim White on talksport

mefty
    Free Member

of course not for its all BS , smear and innuendo.

When Momentum recognize its not a smear, it is likely that you occupy a very narrow position.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Let’s ha e some quotes meaty. What’s your thoughts on the inherent racism in the tory party ?

mefty
    Free Member

acknowledges the anger, upset and despair within the British Jewish community at the numerous cases of antisemitism in the Labour party

Accusations of antisemitism should not and cannot be dismissed simply as rightwing smears nor as the result of conspiracies.

Current examples of antisemitism within the Labour party are not only a problem of a few, extreme ‘bad apples’, but also of unconscious bias, which manifests itself in varied, nuanced and subtle ways and is more widespread in the Labour party than many of us had understood even a few months ago

Each paragraph is a quote from their widely reported statement

DrJ

There is a widespread resurgence of anti-semitism in many countries across Europe just now, as jamba is keen to remind us. Inevitably that means that people within the Labour party are affected. I’d have imagined that recognising this and doing something about it was a good thing, but apparently not. Same as meeting a spectrum of Jewish groups – it’s clearly only acceptable to meet the Jewish groups who slavishly follow the Isreali party line.

kerley
    Free Member

perhaps it is anyone that makes comments like that that deserves comparison with a daily mail reader…

Did you hear that on LBC ?

johnx2
    Free Member

the Tories are far more racist than Labour, however you want to define that (electors, members, elected representatives up to foreign **** minister) but to say that therefore any ‘minor instances of racism in labour (party of which I’m a member) should be overlooked is pure whataboutery.

Regardless, what disheartens me is the shambolic way Corb and those around him address the situation. With a government in the state that it is, the opposition should be on the front foot ensuring we’re not dumped into some isolating version of brexit, not getting tied up in knots over issues of antisemitism. Sure it’s ‘not fair’ of the righwing press to exploit this. What do you expect them to do? I would hope for a bit of strategy and competence in meeting this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but to say that therefore any ‘minor instances of racism in labour (party of which I’m a member) should be overlooked is pure whataboutery.

I don’t think anyone has said don’t do anything, more take some perspective, work out what is what, separate criticism of Israel from antisemitism and move forward. While as the press seem to want to to shine a very bright light on the way others in politics behave.

tjagain

I am still waiting to see any Evidence of corbyns anti semitism.  Its a simple orchestrated smear campaign

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“Its a simple orchestrated smear campaign”

Its not really is it though, it’s not fictional. Momentum themselves have admitted theirs an issue with anti-semitism within Labour.

Whether JC is anti-Semite is hard to say, innocent till proven guilty, but the party he leads does have a problem. Then there’s the association of his particular brand of politics which has anti-colonial/imperialism overtones & you can see how the connection is being made.

JC hasn’t done himself any favours by then spending Passover with who he did – a more astute politician would have seen the trouble that move was going to cause & not made it..

DrJ

JC hasn’t done himself any favours by then spending Passover with who he did

Which part of this do you consider reprihensable?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/03/jeremy-corbyn-passover-jewdas-good-news

Then there’s the association of his particular brand of politics which has anti-colonial/imperialism overtones & you can see how the connection is being made.

Not really, no I don’t. Unless you are conflating criticism of the Israeli occupation with criticism of Jews. are you doing that?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Sadly Corbyn is not an astute politician.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“Which part of this do you consider reprihensable?”

I read that & I’ve also read up on Jewdas. The failure is to understand that associating with a group who’ve a reputation for being anti-zionists, where there’s an existing issue with anti-semitism within in his own party & the press are on the hunt, was going to be a bad idea.

I know anti-Zionism & anti-Semitism are 2 different things but, this is the important bit, some conflate the 2. I am not, but some do. JC should have been aware of this..

As I said – not the smartest move.

FWIW Jewdas seem to say something’s that need to be said – I’ve no problem with criticism of Israel where appropriate.

johnx2
    Free Member

Hadley Freeman in the Guardian:

I can’t believe this even needs saying, but apparently it does. The latest Corbyn anti-Semitism furore (pt 372940) isn’t about him hanging out with The Wrong Jews – it’s about him hanging out, again, with people who are in his comfort zone and say what he likes to hear

Instead of reaching across the aisle to some of the Jewish groups who attended the Enough is Enough protest last week, he opted for people who dismissed the protest and have described some of the anti-Semitism criticisms as “smears”

And that’s totally fine for them! Each to their own opinion. But might this not have been a good time for Corbyn to extend a hand to those who feel angry and ignored, instead of running to those who don’t?

What makes this even more infuriating is we are repeatedly told that Corbyn *does* reach across the aisle. That’s why he said those kind words to Hamas and Hezbollah, we’re told! But this strikingly doesn’t seem to be the case when it comes to Jewish groups who disagree with him

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TurnerGuy, do you genuinely think that racism/bigotry is a bigger problem among the left than among the right-wing?

never said I did, I was just linking to some commentry from Maajid whom I think has a pretty well balanced view on racism and religious issues.

imo Corbyn deserves as much stick as possible as he has a perverse idea of who he should associate with, although I am not sure that mural warrants the flack it has caused. But if he were any form of a leader he would have come out and said that he is anti what israel are doing and not anti-semitic, which is fair-enough. Or perhaps he is anti-semitic after all…

dissonance

But this strikingly doesn’t seem to be the case when it comes to Jewish groups who disagree with him

It would be striking if it wasnt bollocks.

He had proposed meeting them but they initially declined.

piha
    Free Member

Is JC actually being accused of anti semitism by anyone of note or is he simply being asked to address anti semitism quicker and better within the Labour party and associated organisations?

Both JC and Momentum have said there are issues within their organisations. When people from within his own party have called him out on what action is being taken then surely there are questions to be asked.

I agree that other political organisations have more issues with ‘ism’s’ but when JC takes the moral high ground (and rightly so) and is then to be seen by some to be not doing enough, well that is disappointing. I totally disregard the shouty right wing bluster but Labour supporters constantly saying that the Torys are bad terrible people instead of addressing the questions being asked of JC isn’t doing Labour any favours. IMO.

RustySpanner

Or perhaps he’s said it hundreds of times, but people are determined not to listen…..

Last week:

Jeremy Corbyn (JC): I’m not an anti-Semite in any way, never have been, never will be. I’ve opposed racism in any form all my life. It’s the way I was brought up, it’s the way I’ve lived my life. I recognise the hurt that’s felt within the community and that’s why I responded immediately with an invitation to the Jewish Leadership Council and the Board of Deputies to come and meet me. I did say that processes in our party had to be speeded up and that all of the recommendations of the Chakrabarti report had to be carried out so that we could address the issue. Let me say this very bluntly: anti-Semitism is a cancer in our society and it has resurfaced across Europe and in Britain in recent years. It has to be challenged at every single stage.

How often would he have to say it before you believed him?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

imo Corbyn deserves as much stick as possible as he has a perverse idea of who he should associate with, although I am not sure that mural warrants the flack it has caused.

How much stick does the actually racist foreign sec deserve on the turnerguy scale of things?

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you are quoting Hadley you really are desperate and perhaps they should have invited him – was he meant to turn up uninvited to show how much he represents Jews? Now I cannot speak for other folk but i tend to not turn up at special religious feast of people who are attacking me and have not invited me. He will literally be attacked fr anything

Whether JC is anti-Semite is hard to say,

That must be why you posted all the evidence to support your view – its not hard  at all to tell its complete BS.

JC hasn’t done himself any favours by then spending Passover with who he did

Wrong kind of Jews and he is the anti semite….this is where we are in the world he spends its with Jews and this proves he  hates Jews.  Somedays I feel like i have fallen into an alternative reality where the morons are in charge of everything and i have to debate at their level- not aimed at you as what you say is probably the majority view.

FWIW had he met the right[ wing] jews they would have  still criticised him afterwards  so it was never going to happen .  If Boris, Gove May etc came  to my house for tea  its nto goign to change my opinion of them. To be fair i would let May in as she is misguided rather than reprehensible

piha
    Free Member

How about Ken Livingstone’s suspension and investigation was concluded? How long has that been rumbling on for?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/01/labour-extends-ken-livingstones-suspension-over-antisemitism-claims

DrJ

when JC takes the moral high ground (and rightly so) and is then to be seen by some to be not doing enough, well that is disappointing

Some people like who? Like the Board of Deputies, who criticise JC and the same day blame the shooting of civilians in Gaza on the victims themselves? Do you really think there is anything to say or do that would satisfy such people?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“That must be why you posted all the evidence to support your view – its not hard at all to tell its complete BS.”

Selective quoting JY? Why not include my words where I said he was innocent till proven guilty? I’m hardly damning him..

As for the evidence I posted? All I posted was a link to a press release from Momentum themselves…again hardly BS as it’s ffom the horses mouth. Admittedly not JC, but Momentum nonetheless. They openly admit anti-semitism is more widespread than they thought.

And who he met? It’s all about the timing & in this instance his timing is shite.

The press are on the hunt & he goes & meets a group who are bound, by their very nature, to add fuel to the fire.

My main criticism of him is he appears to lack the tactical nouse of a good politician. His ability to engage in damage limitation seems fing abysmal.

BillMC

Only an anecdote but I frequently have a pint with a local Jewish bloke who is a fanatic Zionist, always banging on about antisemitism and he’s also the biggest and loudest racist that I know. This kind of exceptionalism is nothing new, Marx wrote about it 150 years ago, but it certainly helps me understand all their references to tribes etc. and the visceral hatred for Corbyn. Desmond Tutu said the treatment of Palestinians by Israel is worse than what blacks endured under apartheid. It can’t last.

tjagain

I am still waiting to see any evidence of Corbyns anti semitism.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“I am still waiting to see any evidence of Corbyns anti semitism.”

I don’t think there is any TJ, but his poor judgement & inaction have stirred up a sh1tstorm & he’s only got himself to blame.

For the record I’d be amazed if it turned out he was.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Selective quoting JY?

Yes its true i did not quote your entire post well spotted. I think that why its a quote and not the whole thing. HTH

As for the evidence I posted? All I posted was a link to a press release from Momentum themselves

Yes my point was, how did you miss it?, that you had no evidence  to support the view he was an anti semite but you still seem unsure as to whether he is…its hard to tell

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I have no evidence you are an anti semite, but i have  a quote to show its prevalent in society,  should i say its hard to tel if you are one or not ? . is that a reasonable position for me to take?</span>

Admittedly not JC, but Momentum nonetheless.

So they never said he was  an anti semite but its hard to tell if he is. they never said you were either so its hard to tell if you are etc

Are you getting how daft your argument is yet?

Corbyn has campaigned all his life against racism unlike many of those attacking him [ not aimed at you I dont think you are racist I am just using it as an example of how muddled the thinking is]

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“Are you getting how daft your argument is yet?”

What exactly do you think my argument is?

I’ll tell you what, I’ll save you the time.

I don’t think he’s anti-semitic, I think he’s a sh1t politician. Someone with a bit more tactical acumen would have headed off this mess, of his own creation, long ago. He made it easy for the press to go after him.

I’m off – gym & a job interview.

Later.

piha
    Free Member

“Some people like who”

Labour members, including Yvette Cooper, Harriet Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Ian Austin, Stephen Doughty, Liz Kendal and John Woodcock who joined the Westminster protest.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think he’s anti-semitic

what started this

Whether JC is anti-Semite is hard to say,

Good luck with the job interview

airtragic
    Free Member

But tj, nobody (nutters aside) is saying JC is personally an anti-Semite, they are (opportunistically and hypocritically in many cases) saying the party has a problem with it and the leadership hasn’t done enough to address it.

Junkyard, regarding the hypocrisy charge, I heard someone say the Tory party has at least as much of a problem with “isms” on the Spectator podcast of all places! It seems to me the rapid expansion has hoovered up a lunatic fringe, unsurprisingly!

Viewing 40 posts - 17,681 through 17,720 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.