Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Jeez! (car insurance content)
  • Taff
    Free Member

Car insurance issue in just over a couple of weeks and have been waiting for my renewal to come through. Anyway it came today at the unbelievable price of £1032! I’m currently only paying 520 for myself and the mrs on a 206. Just started with other quotes including a few brokers and they’re coming in at about £700-1400. What is going on?! I know prices were set to rise but this is ridiculous! Anyone else finding this at the moment?

Mikkel
    Free Member

about everyone i know who have had to renew last few weeks are saying exactly the same.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Yep. Many posts around on here and elsewhere about this.

I scrapped my car six months ago because I wasn’t prepared to pay the arbitrary increase. The increase alone was more than my car was worth. Clean licence, mature, advanced driver, no claims. Shopped around, nobody got close. Total joke.

May I recommend sir tries the Yuba Mundo?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes and no. Our 3 car policy from admiral was cranked from about 800 to 1100 or similar. But shopping around we actually ended up paying less this year. Keep looking.

the-muffin-man

£350ish for mine – 12yr old Skoda Octavia Diesel – me and the wife (both early 40s), full no claims, business use – that’s with NFU Mutual done at end of Sept.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i thought i might move back to a reasonably large diesel auto box motor – but was soon put off when i found my insurance would be over 1500 quid ….

25 with 4 years ncb but no incidents !

crazy – stil 500 odd quid on an 80 bhp van !

andrewh
    Free Member

Just had my renewal letter, dropped from £330 to £290 and I haven’t even started shopping around yet.
    (30yrs old, 6yrs NCD, clean licence and a 2 litre petrol engined Hyundai)

Taff
    Free Member

It’s mixed bag in my work. About half have gone up but by a maximum of about 20%. Going to try NFU when I get my computer back off the other half. Will keep looking around but roadside is all being added on making it expensive too. Doesn’t help I have a chavvy hairdresser wagon

br
    Free Member

I think its also area specific, in that ‘bad’ areas are been fundementally hit.

Just insured a 50cc scooter for my son, at my house its £300 TP, but at his mum’s its £480 TP…, and I wouldn’t have said that they live in that worse an area. Comp was more than it cost, new 😯

uplink
    Free Member

my renewal with Admiral has come through about the same as last year
    I can get cover elsewhere for around 20% less though this time around

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mine with Admiral had gone up by about a tenner to 230ish, but was still cheaper than the alternatives that I briefly looked for. Maybe I should have looked for longer 🙂

spacemonkey

50% increase on my renewal this time! WTF is that all about? Am going to call them and have a go once I’ve got prices elsewhere. Yet another mechanism with which to **** over the average person in the street.

Taff
    Free Member

Area plays a lot with it so does storing it ie if you have the car in a garage it’s more than parking on the street. Ridiculous. May have a look at Martin Lewis’ cost saving exercises …

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Perhaps if the British didn’t have the weakest necks in Europe, with the second highest compensation payouts behind Ireland, and didn’t all insist on going to accident management companies at the slightest sniff of “not my fault”, your premiums would be 50% less…..

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I noticed it this year above any other. 15 years ncd, boring car, premiums are up by about 25% even after shopping around. Still it’s only about 3 tank fulls of diesel so it’s not as bad as Ireland.

Woody
    Free Member

if you have the car in a garage it’s more than parking on the street.

Really! How on earth can that be?

My renewal notice is due any day now. I’m not looking forward to it.

MoreCashThanDash

I was dreading my renewal last week.

My renewal came through at £333, including legal assistance and guaranteed courtesy car. Cheapest quote for identical cover was £285 with Aviva, think Hastings on one of the comparison website were quoting £215 without the courtesy car.

I must be getting old if my car insurance has gone down!

Taff
    Free Member

Re the garage it was something an insurance broker pointed out. He thought it was something to do with thieves braking in and being able to work on the car without being seen. It was cheaper for my workmate to insure his car on the drive rather than the garage

uplink
    Free Member

In my recent experience the comparison sites are far from the cheapest way
    doing the leg work yourself will reap benefits

andrewh
    Free Member

Still it’s only about 3 tank fulls of diesel so it’s not as bad as Ireland.

Actually, in Ireland it would be a lot worse, maybe 6 tanks of diesel.
    They do have cheaper diesel though….

andrewh
    Free Member

Area example from a few years ago.
    Me: 23yrs old, 3 points, 1.6 petrol car zero NCD. = £620ish
    Mate: 25yrs old, clean licence, 1.2 petrol car, 5yrs NCD = £1,200ish
    Both cars worth about the same (ie. nothing. £200 purchase price in my case)
    The difference? I had two addresses, rural Lincolnshire and rural Fife. He lived in Battersea.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

andrewh – ah yes. But how much is your road tax PA? Eh? eh?

I only mention that as my first job was with PMPA – if you remember them, and my first car (Fiat Uno D – not even a turbo D) cost £3000 to insure. Car tax was something like £1000.

IanW
    Free Member

Cant be arsed with them comparison websites, do my nappa in. Its an area thing anyway my renewal went down this year.

andyl
    Free Member

maybe the garage thing is because people have lots of expensive scrapes going in and out of garages – doors and rear quarter panels are expensive.

Always put someone more experienced and with a clean licence on your insurance as a second driver. Can halve the cost in some cases.

Oh and the comment about the £500 80hp van policy – vans are quite popular targets and a commercial vehicle so insurance is often higher than a similar car.

Oxboy
    Free Member

With the NFU at the minute, they sent the renewal quote and it had gone up £240!!!!! 😯

I then rang Adrian Flux insurance who came in cheaper but then said they wanted £90 interest for paying over 10 months!!! Taking them way over price. I said goodbye to them.

It seems to me the insurance companies have got together and agreed that we will pay upto 50% more each for insuring our cars.
    It’s a cartel and they know theres nothing we can do about it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah they are 100% more expensive;) …. the same vehicle with windows and 5 seats with an engine with 120bhp is 250 quid fully comp ….500 is for third party on the van ….

superdale
    Free Member

Taff – using the comparison websites think meercats I managed to reduce my premium by half. Check out Chaucer Direct I think you can get a quote direct off their website. Upto now I was paying £600 plus PA so the saving is welcome.

Gary_C

But how much is your road tax PA? Eh? eh?

Road tax ?? What’s that then ??

uplink
    Free Member

Road tax

It’s what most people and the gov call it, it’s probably only cyclists that think it doesn’t exist 🙂

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/index.htm

NZCol

Rs4 avant $340 fully comp inc windscreen, rental carbetc etc !!

TheFlyingOx

I really don’t understand everyone else’s insurance quotes 😕

Just done a quote with Admiral for a 4.5L TVR Cerbera (I wish – it’s the most stupid car I could think of for comparison with everyone else) and it comes in at £742 fully comprehensive, with 1 year NCB, 1 own fault write off and 3 points on my license. I’m 32, with a high risk job, and that’s for parking it on the road in a not-very-salubrious bit of Edinburgh.

The missus MX5 cost her about £300 a year.
    My Mitsubishi VR4 is about £530 a year.

I think the solution is to stop buying boring shopping cart cars, and move to Edinburgh.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I’m 20 and park my 1l corsa on the street – have insured with direct line 3 years in a row – went from £750 to £630 and then about £550 this year. Thats TPFT.

If you’re buying a “new” car, check insurance first – although some cars seem similar insurance will vary hugely!

allyharp

You find that type of car often isn’t the biggest factor and you can test it out by quoting on a 1l corsa then a much faster BMW or something. Which makes sense. Primarily you’re not being insured against damages to your car – the main risk is the damage you can do to other people in an accident. It’s not that hard to run up claims in the hundreds of thousands. And it’s just as possible in a 1l corsa as it is in a Ferrari. Even whiplash claims for more than 1 passenger in an accident will probably cost as much as your average car.

Area tends to have a much greater effect, with Scotland being cheap North-West England being expensive – mainly due to some differences in laws surrounding claims farming in Scotland.

Taff
    Free Member

I know factors are changing and costs are generally escalating but one person in work is already contemplating giving up his car which in architecture is never a good thing.

Gone onto Meerkats site and have a few good deals on there although still more expensive than what I’m paying now. Don’t really trust people like Octogon insurance especially when they only get 1.4 out of 5 in the reviews!

oldnpastit

FWIW, I went to the co-op and got my 17 year old son insured on a W-reg Renault Megane (1.6) for ~£1000 on this scheme where you have a GPS monitor put into your car reporting back to skynet

That was about about half the other quotes I found, but it’s a bit big-brotherish and you have to agree to drive “sensibly” (whatever that means).

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Flying Ox.

After reading your post I’ve just checked what my insurance is on a TVR Chimaera 4.0. Fully comprehensive 6000 miles, £281.

I always thought it was good value, reading the above confirms this.

TheFlyingOx

Exactly. It would be financially irresponsible not to get one. Now if I can just persuade the wife… 😆

fisha
    Free Member

dont tell the wife …

simples !

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Fisha,

That is not a good strategy, take it from me !

5lab

make sure you try the vendors who aren’t on comparison sites. moneysavingexpert has a good guide.

My mx5 was £280, my mondeo is £300. 29, with my 28 year old gf on them as well. Her ka is about £380

For what it’s worth, underwriters aren’t making any profit on their auto insurance portfolios. This is a combination of ‘weak necks’, ‘cash for smash’ schemes, and bad winters causing people to smack into each other.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Jeez! (car insurance content)’ is closed to new replies.