Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • I've treated myself to a 1993 Amiga – what do you think?
  • somafunk

My Atari spent most of the early to mid 90’s producing obscure bleeps and playing about with samples that folk (me included i admit) freaked out to on doves and pink champagne 😉 , I’ve still got it in the attic…one of these days i’ll get it back out along with the 303.

samuri
    Free Member

No mention of Arcadia?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I only recently sold my a1200 with an 030 accelerator and 32mb card. Had a 4gb flash HDD too, very quick. I still play a few games with UAE, superfrog and alien breed are great.

My cd32 and dreamcast will be up for sale if anyone is interested.

Pook

Just for the record, I have NOT bought an Amiga. I already have one.

Cougar

Speaking as an ST boy,

You can get an Amiga > SCART lead for not much money. Old girl never looked so good.

prettygreenparrot

Had an Amiga. 120MB HDD + CPU upgrade. It was neat. Modern computers are so much better for actually doing stuff though.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I had an Amiga 500+ (the cartoon pack with Lemmings, Bart Vs The Space Mutants, Captain Planet and Deluxe Paint III). I loved the Speccy and the C64, but the Amiga was something else entirely, made me the woman I am today!

toastandtea
    Free Member

Amiga 500 , now that brings back some memories . Syndicate and Cannon Fodder , two of my favorite games.

” war , what’s is it good for ……… ”

Pook

Mrs Toast – I must admit I did see a bit of deluxe paint III heritage in your work

Toast and tea – the lyrics for the theme tune for cannon fodder were

“War, never been so much fun
    War, never been so much fun
    War never been so much fun
    War never been so much fun
    Go to your brother
    Kill him with your gun
    Leave him lying in his uniform
    Lying in the sun
    War <poing>
    Do do de do do doooo”

piemonster

http://www.oric.org/software/zorgon_s_revenge-545.html

I don’t know whether to smile or cry at the vanished years 🙂 😐 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I always wanted a Jupiter Ace though as I wanted to learn Forth

I had forth for the Oric.

I think the mouse is broken for my Atari. Going to be tricky finding a replacement !

dlr

Very nice OP, I had a 500 back in the day then a 1200 in various states for years, oh and a 3000 briefly. These days I mostly stick to emulating one, below is a screenshot of my current setup, not bad for 20+ yrs old (you can run a “real” one like this although needs a bit of grunt for the browser)

If you need any advice then a couple of the best sites/forums are http://amiga.org/ and http://amigaworld.net/

codybrennan
    Free Member

What’s that set-up then dlr, care to share the details with us?

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

500. 500+ then the 1200 for me. I had a an upgraded processor that was I think another 14mhz giving 28mhz and I think it had 4mb of additional ram. And I think it was a 256mb hard drive that snapped on the side making it even longer.
    Chaos Engine co op was ace
    Sensible soccer
    Deluxe paint started me of on graphics & the. Something better

Had a frame grabber that snapped on the back that was huge. Gen lock for overlaying graphics on video. A sampler that connected externally. My ex wife an I stopped spending money going out and spent loads on Amiga upgrades. Not software though, The Barras market had every bit of software you wanted for about £1 a disk. Left more cash for all the solid that was smoked ( no skunk in Edinburgh when I lived there)

dlr

That’s Amikit with a few changes. I mostly use that for general faffing. For games I use ClassicWB the UAE one as it’s lighter, for both you need the kickstart roms and the Workbench 3.1 disks

Both run on top of Winuae which is an excellent emulator. If it wasn’t for the blue skies outside I would fire up the Chaos Engine for a blast, wired USB box 360 gamepad works perfectly with the emu 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thats cool, cheers- I’ll check that out. I was a paid-up member of the Amiga Forever project well over a decade ago, so will get into this!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Syndicate, UFO, Gunship 2000 etc. Those were the days. That and a copy of x-copy plus loads of blank discs and loads of mates with Amigas = a massive game collection!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hulkamania will never die!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – I must admit I did see a bit of deluxe paint III heritage in your work

I had 48 floppy disks of drawings and animations, I used to get really upset when my brother would nick one to be a filthy pirate. He wouldn’t even get good games, he’d get stuff like Sensible Soccer and Kick Off 2. 🙁

I used to get frustrated because I wanted to do 24 frames per second, like Disney did with The Little Mermaid, but I’d get about 2-3 seconds in and it’d run out memory. 🙁

Euro
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Always an ST man myself – the far superior of the two machines…

That is fighting talk! The Amiga was easily the superior machine technically. The Atari was a hastily cobbled together mess in comparison.

iamtheresurrection

Stunt Car Racer and F18 Interceptor. Many school mornings suffered as a result…

dlr

codybrennan: See what free updates you can get for it, I bought the 2012 edition which comes with legal roms and lots of base images including an amikit one

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure the Amiga was far superior technically. It had a blitter, but I dunno what else. I’d read that the OS wasn’t up to much but I never worked with it. The ST’s OS was really cool to program with.

not bad for 20+ yrs old

I used to surf the net on my actual 1040ST, in about 1997, on a 19.2 kbps modem. It took far longer to render/scale the graphics than it did to load them, but it did work technically 🙂

dlr

Workbench was far better than TOS, proper preemptive multitasking etc. The ST had it’s place though and did well in the music field due to being midi ready out of the box. One of my Uni assignments was 68000 assembly on a TT. Sadly both parent companies were run really badly and despite once being ahead of the game, then failed completely to keep up with the emerging PC (and console) market

Cougar

It had a blitter,

So did the STe.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes but that came really late, so by then the majority of ST owners had plain STs, so games had to be written without blitter features.

Workbench was far better than TOS, proper preemptive multitasking etc

I’d heard that this was a bit too ambitious for the architecture, so was problematic and not reliable.. of course I used to read ST magazines…

dlr

The OS itself was fine, the issue was the lack of memory protection so if a process went mad it could overwrite address space and take it all down. Only some of the later models and accelerators had MMU’s but most programs would ignore them so not much help.

ST was still quite good at games, iirc its 68000 was marginally faster. A lot of Amiga games were straight ports due to cost reasons when they could have been made a bit better gfx wise.

Falcons are a nice bit of kit still worth a lot. They had the rather bad bug of a 16bit bus so once you left the cache of the 32bit 68030 they were comparatively crippled. Probably done like this to cut costs and/or rush it out for release.

andytherocketeer

ST was still quite good at games, iirc its 68000 was marginally faster

ca. 7.1 MHz on the Amiga, which I always assumed was related to a frequency used by the gfx chip (PAL and NTSC machines had different CPU speeds).
    ST was 8MHz.

unnoticable difference in most cases tbh, although some Amiga owners reluctantly had to agree that some games like Elite ran fractionally smoother on the Atari.

Still got my STe. And 464.

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r10DQXYXhs[/video]

organic355
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o4rsHjI11A[/video]

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Wish you could still get Sensible World of Soccer without emulators!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘I've treated myself to a 1993 Amiga – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.