Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 621 total)
  • Royal mail have binned my rear shock!
  • PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Got a new frame recently and the Fox Float CTD Kashima had a minor fault where the CTD lever made no difference, seemed to always be in descend mode.

Spoke to Mojo who advised I send it to them for inspection/repair.

Sent it by Royal mail recorded over a week ago and have just found out that RM have disposed of the item as it was considered dangerous!

The note on the file was that it was an air cannister and was a dangerous item.

Have been told there is little chance of me getting it back! No compensation as it breached their policies.

Anyone else heard of this happening?

Simon

What did you tell the post office was in the package when you sent it?

wwaswas

😯

bloody hell.

I’d be taking legal advice.

surely, any sealed container is an ‘air canister’?

clubber
    Free Member

Wow! Have you actually checked what their Ts & Cs say?

Was it pressurised when you sent it?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Did you send it pressurised? I suspect they wont take too kindly to that if you did. A quick look suggests that no gases can be posted. I imagine you fell foul of number 3.

Gases
    Gases that are compressed, liquefied or dissolved under pressure, permanent gases which cannot be liquefied at ambient temperatures, liquefied gases which become liquid under pressure at ambient temperatures, dissolved gases which are dissolved under pressure in a solvent.
    1. All flammable compressed gases are prohibited e.g. blowlamps; butane; lighters and refills containing flammable liquid or gas; ethane; gas cylinders for camping stoves; hydrogen; methane and propane.
    2. All toxic compressed gases are prohibited e.g. chlorine; fluorine etc.
    3. All non-flammable compressed gases are prohibited e.g. air bags; scuba tanks, carbon dioxide; fire extinguishers; neon and nitrogen.

theocb
    Free Member

Nightmare 😯
    Even if you get compo. Isn’t Royalmail signed for only £50 odd quid max?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Royal Mail have so many things they won’t deliver now. Just a joke delivery service. Maybe worth checking eBay to see if Royal Mail have a shop flogging all the stuff they refused to deliver

clubber
    Free Member

RM prohibited goods:

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

The nearest I can find are:

– Gases that are compressed”

– All non-flammable compressed gases are prohibited e.g. air bags; scuba tanks, carbon dioxide; fire extinguishers; neon and nitrogen.

Hopefully you had de-pressurised it in which case you wouldn’t fall foul of that.

What did they actually state because cannisters aren’t banned as such.

richc
    Free Member

I went into the post office yesterday, and noted that the shipping controls are very tight now, and have similar restrictions to what you can carry in your hand luggage on a plane.

I was wondering if this was an insurance knock on effect, after being privatized.

Essential, no liquids, no food, not alcohol , no batteries, no flammable materials.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Good god. Think how many bikes, shocks and forks they deliver! I must have sent/received in excess of 20 ‘pressurised’ suspension items over the years.

stumpy01

Even if you de-pressurise the air chamber, isn’t there a pressurised nitrogen chamber in them for the damping?
    Seems a bit mental to just chuck it away!

clubber
    Free Member

That’s a good point – hadn’t considered the nitrogen charge…

12fifty
    Free Member

Just had a pair of dual air forks delivered no problem.

Did you perhaps put on the insurance ticket/value bit a bit too much info about it being a shock absorber or something that would indicate it was a pressurised device?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Looking at clubbers post, I’d be suing their sorry asses.

wwaswas

So if I order a rear shock or bike from CRC who will they use to deliver it?

Northwind

Here is the “comprehensive guide to all restrictions”

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

Nothing in there about gases or otherwise pressurised items, other than balloons, aerosols and lighters anyway.

andytherocketeer

Given that CRC use exclusively RM, I wonder how many of their shock and lube stuff ends up in the bin?

I’d be suing.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Looking at clubbers post, I’d be suing their sorry asses.

Even though nitrogen is prohibited?

Im not saying its right but thems the rules now. Were you questioned when posting it as to what it was? If they told you yeah no worries then Id be pretty angry.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I had an RP2 sent away and returned recently by Royal Mail Special Delivery. No problem at all.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I removed all air from the chamber, it was clean and well packaged in a sturdy box. Don’t think i was asked what it was when I posted it.

Not sure what else I could have done other than hand deliver it! Spoke to Mojo who have never heard of this happening and they use RM for a lot of their shock deliveries.

Have emailed the dangerous goods dept (no phone no) to see if they still have it. Been told not to hold my breath…

😥

chip
    Free Member

Had new air forks delivered by parcel force(are they the same people) from CRC.
    Who I believe are a good customer.
    Can’t see them binning all there shock orders.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

That prohibited materials list is so wishy washy, and then they have a catch all at the bottom anyway.

They do have a twitter account – I’m sure there will be a few folks out there willing to give it a retweet – the MTB community and Mojo customers need to know about this.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Was told if the item was in original manufacturers packaging and sealed/un-opened then it goes through fine.

peterich
    Free Member

I might be wrong but I don’t think float air cans have any nitrogen charge I think it was only used to charge the piggy back on shocks such as van dhx etc
    id be contacting them and saying if you told them it was a shock and wrote that on the description then why were you aloud to send it. or that it was depressurised so not at all dangerous

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Compressed Nitrogen in there, so no royal mail wont deliver. So who are the shock mending people using.
    Batteries cant send the unless they are in an electronic device. Well that is unless they meet what appears to be conditions for packaging.

wwaswas

how can they tell whether it’s in original, unopened, packaging unless they open every parcel with a rear shock in it and reseal?

cp

RM really seem to be going for the approach of ‘how can we tear apart this business as much as possible’ at the moment.

Collect plus, MyHermes etc… must be having a field day.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Sounds like a tip top job if youre in charge of disposal.. “ooh a new shock” disposed…

chakaping
    Free Member

Was told if the item was in original manufacturers packaging and sealed/un-opened then it goes through fine.

So you can buy a shock from their very good custiomers at CRC, but you better not need to send it back.

TPTcruiser

What made them open it?
    Why are they tampering with packages to start a fight? Seems like the brave new privatised service has greater liability issues/awareness than before.

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty sure that float shocks do have a nitrogen charge.

The questions about, CRC, etc, I expect that there are different terms for businesses and maybe conditions about parts being ‘new’ or unused.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They x-ray was the impression i got

clubber
    Free Member

I seem to recall that they x-ray a sample of parcels too.

clubber
    Free Member

Same terms (at least as far as pressurised items) for business users it seems. So how are CRC allowed?

http://www.royalmail.com/business/help-and-support/tell-me-about-prohibited-goods

plyphon
    Free Member

i would be flipping my shit.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

i would be flipping my shit.

This.

Northwind

I’d be working the contradictory advice angle, since one set of advice on their website suggests it’s fine while another doesn’t. So “If your advice was consistent this wouldn’t have happened, but I followed the very clear list on the website which says it’s “comprehensive” and there’s nothing in there that caused concern”, sort of thing.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Saying i’m miffed is an understatement! RM complaints just kept saying that it breached their terms.

I think Mojo and others do a collection service, i’d recommend this from now on. Alternatively if sending a rear shock, remove the air can? looks less shock-like.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I’d get Mojo to write you a quick testimonial on their experience, seems to me like someone has been overzealous. Does Mojo use RM or someone else?

stumpy01

Weird. It must be very random as to what gets through. i have ordered loads of batteries online from eBay and proper ‘stores’ and not had any issue with them being delivered by Royal Mail.
    I sent my battery to Lumicycle, they sent it back to me, I then sent it onto mtbbatteries and he sent me a new battery without issue.

I have sent of rear shocks on several occasions without issue.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 621 total)

The topic ‘Royal mail have binned my rear shock!’ is closed to new replies.