Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • I've just joined the RSPB, what organisations are you members of??
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve always had a passion for all things nature and seeing many birds on my travels its lead me to join, at this late stage, the RSPB.

I have some binoculars already however I don’t own any camo’ garments 😆

This was all spiked by me renovating my Garden. I’ve put a real amount of effort into it and filled it with all sorts of Bird feeders and habitat for them to florish. It’s paying off hugely.

I’m not turning into Bill Oddie just yet and feel more Machala Stachan TBH.

So, what other organisations are you members of ?

And Why ?

PiknMix
    Free Member

The Micropaleontology Society, because microfossils are frigging amazing.

allthepies
    Free Member

Having seen the devastation the RSPB have wreaked on the local forests around my area in the name of ground nesting birds they would be last on my list.

cloudnine
    Free Member

AA, SAS and RSPB

bearnecessities

BCS – because work pays for it.
    National Trust – because the car sticker immediately promotes me to middle-class.
    Dennis the Menace Fan Cub, but I think this may have lapsed.

Leku
    Free Member

Labour Party. Joined the day after the election..

RustySpanner

Karabiner Mountaineering Club.
    Nice people.

Ex Sons of the Desert, CAMRA, Oldham Motorcycle Club, Labour Party, 53rd Manchester Scouts, Brittania Music Club and Dennis The Menace fan club.

D.I.N.G, indeed.

bloodynora
    Free Member

What sort of ‘devastation’ is this then allthepies? Do tell…

Rubber_Buccaneer

CTC though I don’t do any cycle touring. On the other hand I’m not a member of the RSPB but do have a set of binoculars.

Rubber_Buccaneer

What sort of ‘devastation’ is this then allthepies?

Don’t know about allthepies but around here nice little bits of woods get wiped out to create moorland. Maybe ecologically sound but nowhere near as nice to go for a walk or ride. Don’t appear to hold as much wildlife either but maybe we didn’t have the right kind of wildlife.

GrahamS

RSPB
    Sustrans
    CTC
    British Cycling
    Newcastle Cycle Campaign
    National Trust
    Gourmet Society
    RAC
    Snowboard Club UK

allthepies
    Free Member

Mature woodland, which happened to contain lovely singletrack, completely felled. Now resembles a lunar landscape.

bloodynora
    Free Member

RB I don’t think the RSPB’s remit is to provide you with ‘nice walks or rides’ is it? They are there to protect habitats and wildlife (specifically bird species) or create new habitats where endangered native species are at risk. In general they are a force for good as regards British wildlife.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, I don’t doubt they are doing the right thing. It just feels like a bit of a shame when the woods go all the same.

bloodynora
    Free Member

So allthepies the RSPB destroyed your lovely singletrack? Aw my heart bleeds for you. The lunar landscape you describe may have been done to promote native woodland/shrub to get a foothold where they couldn’t before and encourage wildlife not used to tree cover in that particular woodland.

ninfan
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

CTC
    Audax UK
    Cyclo Monster CC
    Derby Cycling
    Civil Service Sports Club which gives me English Heritage as well.
    Scouts, though I seem to spend just as much time running round after my wife’s Guides stuff!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So the RSPB didn’t cull any parakeets in 2013/14, shame on them.

allthepies
    Free Member

They’ve got ’em marked down for a big hit in 2015

timber

RSPB can be a bit focussed on saving one species at the detriment of all others around them. They are starting to think outside the box in places though and of whole ecosystems rather than key species numbers.

CADW member because I love castles.
    RFS through my work.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Honorary Life Member of the National Trust for Scotland.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They’ve got ’em marked down for a big hit in 2015

Well the big hit for 2015 doesn’t appear to be having much effect on Croydon – their numbers seem to be increasing significantly on a daily basis.

I’m immensely proud of Croydon’s multicultural character but the ring-necked parakeet population really is completely out of control 😐

EDIT : Unless they’re all finding refuge in Croydon……..bleeding asylum seekers !

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I am convinced the National Trust own every car park in the South West within a mile of the coast so membership is essential.

kcal

National Trust (Scotland); Greenpeace; John Muir Trust; local MTB club, local mountaineering club; Historic Scotland; Woodland Trust.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

RSPB.
    National Trust. (not my idea but we only need to go to Fountains Abbey 4 times in a year & It’s paid for itself)
    UKIP. Joined the day after the election.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

NTS
    Historic Scotland
    Whatever the Scottish Kayakerists/Canoeists club is called
    Mountain Bothies Association (really do need to do a work party)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Mature woodland, which happened to contain lovely singletrack, completely felled. Now resembles a lunar landscape.

Bourne Woods?

Cougar

I’m – sorry, we’re – National Trust members. As Pablo says, it almost pays for itself in parking savings. But it’s great for the “we’ve no money and want to go out” days, and of course it’s a good thing to support (IMHO).

matt_outandabout

John Muir Trust

chakaping
    Free Member

NUJ
    National Trust (I think)
    The Self-Preservation Society

And this thread has reminded me to rejoin CTC

mattsccm
    Free Member

NT
    Tricycle association
    Rough Stuff Fellowship
    Local m/c club, West Glos and Dean Forest
    Local cycling club, Royal Dean Forest
    BC

Rubber_Buccaneer

NINFAN I’m amazed the UK had 20 feral goats for the RSPB to kill. Of course the clue is in the name, the RSPB ain’t going to be preserving no goats are they 🙂

Edit to add; the anti fox hunting folks may be a little upset too though personally I think the foxes had it coming.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They killed 13 crows for “animal welfare during lambing” which suggests that they are not always biased in favour of birds.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m a member of the NIMBA, and FAPNLM.

What’s most important, I’m active. Not like the badge wearing saddos, buying a name with an annual subscription, but no actual contribution or pushing of the boundaries.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Always something to learn. I’ve been involved in lambing in the past and have no idea what threat crows are at lambing time. They are evil little bastards though so nothing will surprise me that much.

GrahamS

Of course the clue is in the name, the RSPB ain’t going to be preserving no goats are they

To be fair they do a bit for other animals too (according to their bumph), but yeah birds is their main gig, obviously.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They are evil little bastards …..

No animal is evil and crows are right cool clever little feckers, imo.

Btw I’m not a member of the RSPB but I am an associate member of this lot :

http://beddingtonfarmlands.org.uk/

I’m going bird watching with them tomorrow morning as it happens.

GrahamS

I’m a member of the NAMBLA.
    What’s most important, I’m active. Not like the badge wearing saddos, buying a name with an annual subscription, but no actual contribution or pushing of the boundaries.

😯

JulianA
    Free Member

RSPB
    National Trust
    Hampshire and Isle of Wight Naturalist Trust

Would like to join

Historic Houses Association – and probably will sometime soon

thegreatape
    Free Member

feel more Machala Stachan TBH.

That brings back a teenage years dream…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘I've just joined the RSPB, what organisations are you members of??’ is closed to new replies.