Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • I've just joined the RSPB, what organisations are you members of??
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Yup.

isitafox
    Free Member

RMT and Dennis The Menace Fan Club.
    RMT is a joke though and I don’t agree with 99% of what goes on.

anagallis_arvensis

What point are you attempting to make ninfan?

julianwilson
    Free Member

National trust.
    Unison
    Green party.
    And from what the mail i get tells me it would seem that having a loyalty card from the co-op makes me more of a ‘member’ than a tesco clubcard does. 😕

Ninfan, go on what are you a member of then?
    Can we guess?

[edit] also remembered local cycling campaign group, local little arts theatre/centre, and lapsed membership of the mighty Gawton Gravity Hub.

andytherocketeer

Have been a member of RSPB in the past.
    Have been a member of BCF in the past.
    Think I might have been a member of CTC once upon a time too.
    Used to be a member of the Scouting Association.

Now only a member of the Tripoli Rocketry Association, until I get around to renewing other memberships. And that is because most renew in January, except one which is in August.

On the whole, I’m more for informal meetups of like minded individuals with none of that committee nonsense, but I’d probably cough up to something like NT if I ever go back home, just for the parking access.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I wouldn’t join any club that would have me as a member.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Read Ian Mitchell’s book ‘Isles of the West’ for an interesting view of the RSPB.

munrobiker
    Free Member

British Geological Society, MX5 owner’s club, National Trust And RSPB for me. Would swap RSPB for the Wildlife Trust if they weren’t such backward stick in the muds with regards to access.

Going back to crows at lambing time, they peck out the eyes of lambs while the mother is sleeping. The lamb will then die and the crows eat them. I don’t object to a few crows being killed to stop that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

crows at lambing time, they peck out the eyes of lambs while the mother is sleeping. The lamb will then die and the crows eat them

Now that’s what I call a carefully thought out plan. I wouldn’t put it past them to make gentle cooing sounds just to encourage the mothers to fall asleep. Clever feckers.

Klunk
    Free Member

NIMBY and FOYC

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ernie, you may say no animal is evil but pecking out eyeballs certainly isn’t a nice way to get a dinner 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But it’s clever and very tricky. What happens if the lamb makes a noise while it’s having its eyes pecked out and wakes up his/her mother? What happens if the farmer doesn’t leave a blind lamb in a field to
    die ? That’s a lot of wasted effort by the crow.

And how long does it take for a blind lamb to die ? Bearing in mind that it only needs to find its mother’s nipple to survive, and many young blind mammals can do that without any problem, it could take a very long time I imagine.

Yep, crows certainly like to play a long game, it’s a bit like shopping – buy now eat later. But then crows are very clever indeed. And some humans are a bit daft.

jimw
    Free Member

At present, the SVAS. Not convinced that the Shuttleworth Trust are going in the right direction any more so this may well be the last year. I used to volunteer monthly in the winter until the distance I had to travel and the percieved lack of interest in the work we were doing made me decide to stop.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Higher Education Academy
    University and College Union
    Dennis the Menace Fan Club

cinnamon_girl

Can those who’ve quoted initials of organisations please expand for the benefit of us who, er, haven’t a clue.

Thanks. 🙂

jimw
    Free Member

Sorry. Shuttleworth Veteran Aviation Society (SVAS). The Shuttleworth Trust owns and operates the largest UK airworthy collection of veteran and vintage aircraft. My first main area of interest as a kid, before bikes even.

The oldest is a 1909 Bleriot, the newest is a 1965 Piper Super Cub, but most are in the 1910-1945 era

cinnamon_girl

Thanks jim, very helpful, and that sounds terrific. I guess you get to take to the skies?

I belong to the CTC as well as the Churches Conservation Trust.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll open this out a bit, I’m a member of other clubs too but I posted the RSPB membership in part because we had a garden full of birds last night, and tonight as it happens.

I do wonder about the National Trust. Is it really worth it? I’m not a massive fan of dusty stately homes and gingham, but surely there’s more to them than that ? Is there ? I did read somewhere they offer Hotels and Guest Houses of some quality and in nice places, that appeals.. But are these full of Chinz? That would put me off, and the gingham 😆

So, worth it or bin the idea ?

jimw
    Free Member

I wish one could get to fly in them, unfortunately unless you are a “celebrity” or an historian , or preferably both (e.g Dan Snow) you have no chance, CIvil Aviation Authority rules.

cinnamon_girl

jim – oh, bad luck. Not sure what part of the country you’re in but this starts tomorrow and Dan Snow will be there amongst other well-known people.

Chalke Valley History Festival, Wiltshire

Homepage – Pre and during Ticket Sales

cinnamon_girl

bb – to my mind the NT has always been for the braying middle classes as certainly poor people couldn’t afford to visit these places, let alone getting fleeced in the cafe and gift shop. Their ‘protection’ is not for the benefit of the nation, only those with disposable income.

bearnecessities

CG – I made a post earlier to a similar effect, but tongue in cheek.

Their politics aside, NT membership is well worth it if you live in a reasonable distance from some of the locations.

You’re not forced to get buggered for a slice of £5 lemon drizzle & tea, served by a well-meaning but frazzled student; grab a flask and just enjoy what’s on offer from the membership – fabulous outdoor locations and free parking 😉

FWIW walking around stately homes bores me to tears!

nickc

Not convinced that the Shuttleworth Trust are going in the right direction any more

I’ve had some lovely times at over there with my dad 😀 , could you say a bit more about why you think they’re going in the wrong direction?

mogrim

Spanish mountain sports and climbing federation. Mainly as it gets me cheaper (running) race entry, although I do sort of support their aims.

jimw
    Free Member

Nickc, there have been a few strange purchasing decisons that seemed, from the outside at least, to have been made for reasons that don’t necessarily fit the Trust’s stated aims, to be more on personal whims. Sorry, can’t be more specific than that. Also the relationship between some members of the SVAS, which historically provides a substantial portion of the operational and spares cost and the Trust,which actually owns and operate the aircraft and the Swiss Gardens etc. is a tad strained at the moment as a result.
    They are currently advertising for a chief executive to run the trust , at a £90,000 salary which has also raised a few eyebrows, but their argument this is the going rate to attract a suitably experienced person.
    In the perhaps understandable aim to make the Trust financially secure, the concessions for SVAS members and volunteers are less generous, and the rules underwhich the volunteers work are less flexible. This is what I am refering to.

As a visitor to the collection, none of the above is likely to be apparent, and indeed the Trust does need to be run on a more professional basis to survive, and many of the changes are likely to improve the visitor experience, but inevitably it will be more expensive.

cinnamon_girl

bear – just found your comment! If you’re <shock horror> parking in the grounds of a stately home, does usage of that parking space actually give you the right to just bu$$er off somewhere else, perhaps with your bike? Sorry, just being a bit pedantic!

The best ‘stately’ homes are the non-NT ones in my experience. 🙂

Edit: £60 a year membership!!! No reductions for seniors either as reported in the press recently.

nickc

thanks jimw, sounds like it’s a painful experience for you, I hope it’s resolved soon.

jimw
    Free Member

Cinnamon_girl, that festival looks facinating, and the aircraft due to attend look good as well.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’m a member of the Coordination of United New Teachers and Students.

Membership is automatically renewed each year, decent organization to be part of if you are in education.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs just joined us in the NT for £99 for 2 of us for a year.
    We live near Fountains Abbey & non members pay £12.50 each to get in! (no way I’d even pay that) So it’s a cheap membership AFAIC.

andermt
    Free Member

Wrong thread.

ninfan
    Free Member

Don’t forget that those with close foreign ties may choose to support the national trust of their own country of origin or emotional connection, in which case there is often a reciprocal agreement with UK national trust sites while they are visiting…

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m a member of Hinckley Canoe Club and the BCU. That’s it.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Geol Soc London, NTScot, two steam railway socs. The NT membership gets me free car parking lots of places, and the Cornwall coast footpaths are superb, over land that the NT protects. I have little interest in the big houses, but like the gardens and grounds.

Someone commented on the NT’s acquisition policy – Tyntesfield seemed yet another Victorian country house, one too many to me, but they did have help. They do have a legacy of big country houses taken over in the fifties and sixties.

And someone else commented about the RSPB and other wildlife. The latest Brit Wildlife mag has an article about the re-introduction of lost bumblebees on the south coast, supported by the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, the RSPB and others.

GrahamS

to my mind the NT has always been for the braying middle classes as certainly poor people couldn’t afford to visit these places

What are you comparing it to as a day out though?

I wouldn’t say the cinema is only for “the braying middle classes” and that’s more expensive than most NT places – so I think there may be something more at play than just price.

mefty
    Free Member

Don’t forget that those with close foreign ties may choose to support the national trust of their own country of origin or emotional connection, in which case there is often a reciprocal agreement with UK national trust sites while they are visiting…

It’s cheaper too!

timber

National Trust are quite a bit more than posh houses, they just happen to be more obvious. The property I work at looks after a bit over 40,000 acres and not a single big house / tea shop / gift shop in it. Large areas of land are held and managed for conservation and access.

CADW = no idea what the letters are, Welsh equivalent of English Heritage
    RFS = Royal Forestry Society

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’m with Groucho on this one

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t see the issue with the Parakeets in Greater London, they add a bit of colour to an otherwise grey, drab, giant steaming shitheap.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Workwise:

IMechE (student, institute of choice)
    NI (student, relevant industrial institute)
    GMB (unwilling participant, if Unite decide to stop supporting Labour I’ll probably switch)

Outside of work:

Hmm, looks like I’m a sad **** and have no memberships outside of work. Oh well.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘I've just joined the RSPB, what organisations are you members of??’ is closed to new replies.