Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • It's a long shot, but any car wizards about?
  • MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve just gone out in my car (an 07 Vauxhall Vectra, don’t laugh), and the dashboard has stopped working. When I start up the engine, the engine light appears briefly then goes away, but none of the other usual lights that come on appear. The speedo is dead. The fuel gauge is dead. The mileometer is dead. Dead! Dead I tell thee!

The radio and lights are fine, and it drives and brakes fine, but I think the power steering might have gone too. That might just be me being paranoid though, as it’s always had the turning circle of a rusty piano.

I’ve tried doing a reset by turning the key into the ignition position, pressing the brake and the speedo trip button, but it doesn’t seem to do anything except make a click and short whirring sounds. Admittedly, I think I heard the whirring and clicking a few weeks back. I should probably pay more attention to random noises. :/

Any ideas? This morning I coincidentally booked it in for a full service for tomorrow at Kwik Fit, I’m wondering if it’s trying to throw a sickie and skive out of it…. I’m hoping they can fix it but… yeah, not a huge amount of faith. /o\

Jamie
    Free Member

Checked the fuses?

Edit: I should add, I am not a wizard, but a lowly level 3 mage.

benji
    Free Member

Power steering on a vectra, is it electic power steering some are, and when the alternator starts going it drops this out quiet quickly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A fuse like Jamie says- I assume that thread says which one though I prefer the one by one removal technique till you find out which on is broken..this was followed by cursing when I realised I had no idea what the radio code was 😳

MrsToast
    Free Member

Hmmm, some other car wizards have suggested it might be the alternator, or the CIM module. Which is apparently the “column integrated module” module.

I did have a weird problem a few months back which was caused by a faulty battery – car intermittently wouldn’t start, battery was tested and was fine in 3/5 tests. Apparently one of the cells in the battery was duff, sometimes working, sometimes not. A new battery seemed to have fixed that problem though. Wonder if the previous problems or the new battery have caused the current one, or if we’re just doomed to have cars that explode once we’ve owned them for nearly five years.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cabt see how a dodgy alternator would affect the dash though I have no experience of a CIM

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I once had this problem on a early Vauxhall Astra, it turned out to be the CIM (column interface module) its fitted under the steering column and on some models its not uncommon for the plug to come loose/unclipped /fail or the unit itself failing causing the symptoms you describe.

I remember it was an expensive part to replace so your probably gonna need to source a local scrap yard for replacement.
    hth..

ps make sure theres enough slack in the loom to allow re-positioning of the steering wheel column.. 😉

MrsToast
    Free Member

Try this.

Oooh, that seems promising, a lot of the other threads I’d googled had slightly different variations on the dead Vectra dashboard, but that one sounds identical.

All I have to do is figure out how to remove the plastic cowling and what’s suitable for cleaning a CIM module! 😛

TO THE USER’S MANUAL!

Nothing can possibly go wrong.

ps make sure theres enough slack in the loom to allow re-positioning of the steering wheel column

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eUxpCG2n7o[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

Option B.

singletrackmind

Could be a multi plug into the back of the dashboard.
    With the engine running and the lights on try pushing the binacle ( the bit with the dials inside ) back toward the bonnet.
    Push on each corner fairly firmly and see if anything flickers into life.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Could be a multi plug into the back of the dashboard.
    With the engine running and the lights on try pushing the binacle ( the bit with the dials inside ) back toward the bonnet.
    Push on each corner fairly firmly and see if anything flickers into life.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Cheers everyone, especially singletrackmind. Prodding the dashboard was all that was needed! \o/

My dog can now go to dog school!

singletrackmind

Your welcome.
    Hope your dog enjoys dog school.

molgrips
    Free Member

I once had an annoying rattle in my Polo. I thumped the dashboard so much and so hard that I dislodged the connector and all the dash lights went out.

The rattle in fact turned out to be a squeaky bearing in the fan.

RustySpanner

This morning I coincidentally booked it in for a full service for tomorrow at Kwik Fit,

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please. please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please. please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please. please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please don’t take it to Kwik Fit.

Linky to my own personal Kwik Fit Hell.

Please.
    You seem like a nice person.
    Don’t do it.

Not joking at all. Just don’t.

Ok?

hora
    Free Member

Dont take it to kwikfit. Honestly.

Look in servicebook guide. Take book to halfords, show and ask for fuse.

Where are you mrstoast? I can swap fuses around from lights (or similar wattage) to check if its the fuse.

Kwikfit will tell you its the ECU and needs a new one and new discs/pads alround.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve sorted the dashboard problem (thanks to singletrackmind’s patented ‘poke it firmly’ technique), the service is something separate.

I would take it to another garage, but the other garages that will a) let me drop off my car first thing in the morning and pick it up at 5.30pm) and b) are within walking distance of work are all known for being a bit shady and unreliable. Yes, more unreliable than Kwik Fit. O_O Even the official Nissan dealership when I had my Micra was nigh on bloody useless.

If there was a decent garage locally, then I’d take it there, but sadly choice is a bit limited. Every time I’ve taken my car there they’ve been really friendly and hardworking, if a little clueless about anything other than the most basic issues. I guess they’re a bit like Halfords – it probably varies a lot from branch to branch.

Although I do find it funny that the past couple of times I’ve booked it in there, the car has coincidentally started playing up the night before. As I’ve said, it’s like it’s trying to skive out of the appointment!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘It's a long shot, but any car wizards about?’ is closed to new replies.