Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • IT Boffins – What is Enterprise Content Management (ECM)?
  • jimmy

Applying for a job (Lotus Notes Admin) but on the side it says ECM is an essential skill… I've dealt with Content Management Systems (CMS) in Notes before – is ECM just a 'brand' of CMS? Excuse my non-technical talk, its been a while. (And I've seen the ECM Wikipedia page – its not saying a lot of sense to me).

soma_rich
    Free Member

Enterprise usually just means its a big implementation over a large or many sites.

I would guess its just a big Intranet you have to manage…

Tiger6791

Enterprise CMS systems cost a lot more than normal systems. Thats the main difference.

Don't also assume that because it's a CMS it's for websites or intranet a CMS can be used to manage internal data.

See here http://www.cmswatch.com/ECM/Vendors/

xc-steve
    Free Member

I might be way off the mark here, but I think it falls in a similar bracket to a VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) in Education, I work for Plymouth Uni and we use Microsoft Sharepoint for our VLE which even though sharepoint was designed with businesses in mind rather than education.

My mate did mention a PHP alternative other than Moodle shall try and find out what it was…

Essentially yes it is a CMS system but is a little bit more than that. (Hope my random mutterings shed some light!)

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I think the key part of the definition is:

content and documents related to an organization and its _processes_

So it's not just the end content that is managed, but also the transient process related content. That's my reading of it anyway.

jimmy

I think the key part of the definition is:

content and documents related to an organization and its _processes_

That'll do for me. Its just been over 2 years since I messed about with CMS but that is ringing bells all over the place.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Good luck with the application.

I

scuttler

even though sharepoint was designed with businesses in mind

Sharepoint was designed? Biggest pile of crap on the planet. Worse even than Continental Mountain Kings.

hels
    Free Member

"Enterprise Content Management" is IT salesman speak for "solutions" that supposedly combine document management with workflows with business processes etc etc its all lies. Run, keep running.

(p.s from a management point of view I quite like Sharepoint, as long as you keep it simple any numpty can add content, and if you are prepared to pay can design it to look nice although most people use it our of the box cos it's free and it looks god-awful, users hate it, dead donkey)

clubber
    Free Member

Our users love Sharepoint. We keep simple installations by department and it works very well. Not really sure what it is about it that people don't like.

As above, suspect that ECM is DMS with the bells and whistles (workflow, etc).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘IT Boffins – What is Enterprise Content Management (ECM)?’ is closed to new replies.