Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • is your bike tip top…or just functional?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Do you keep your bike 100%? I.e. replace cartridge bearings as soon as they develop play? Replace the whole hub’s worth whether needed or not?

If so, why?

I tend to run stuff into the ground, even damaged cup and cone bearings, I see no benefit in mechanical perfection…maximum miles and smiles per £

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sorry Al, complete opposite. Love having it all optimised.

tazzymtb

tip top for me. I get really twitchy and quite OCD if anything gets too ratty

Stoner
    Free Member

^ Im with taz.

Jumped on one of the bikes last night and managed about 500 yrds before a creak was driving me nuts. SO spun around and grabbed a different bike and went out.

This evening have just swapped the NDS SQT BB cup out for a new plastic one as the alloy one I had was so old and worn it wasnt tightening onto the BB shell properly.

Shall be going out on it in half an hour much happier.

crikey
    Free Member

Functional; it’s just a tool and has a job to do, no points for shiny blingy, it’s about the ride, not the carpark.

philfive
    Free Member

Ride it into the ground, I had damaged stantions on my forks and just rode them into the ground over 12 months, they where so goosed the stanchion had worn down to the cartridge 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

As op,everything is ridden into the ground,everytime.Wheel bearings are gone at the mo,still survived the Dyfi yesterday…….

rOcKeTdOg

ride it, break it, replace it

PiknMix
    Free Member

My bikes cost me a fortune, a few hours spent tinkering to keep them tip top is not only satisfying when on the next ride but strangely enjoyable at the same time.
    Plus it gives you a good excuse to buy all those one time only use tools you could never justify buying.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I can’t abide creaks, squeaks and wobbles. I mostly ride big remote loops, so ignoring maintenance can be at least inconvenient, at worst downright dangerous.

shortcut

Tip top – I don’t like mechanicals & a worn drive train just sucks way sooner fore than for many!

emac65
    Free Member

Hardly ever wash mine so wouldn’t want to get my hands dirty messing with them………….

Bregante

I appear to have got mine in such finely tuned working order that I’ve stopped riding it for fear of messing it up 😕

boltonjon

I’m certainly not into bling, but everything is checked thoroughly on a Sunday night after a hard weeks riding and if something is worn out/broken/suspect, then its gets changed

I hate riding and hearing creaks or groans from bearings, or gears not working perfectly

Moreover – i’m so not OCD as my car is a shit heap and i’m not tidy in any way possible at home or work

There is nothing worse than mechanical’s when out riding. Yes, it does happen, but i get so embarrassed when its me and i’m holding the group up

Or worst still, when its non-repairable and there is a long walk home

I done a big check on Saturday night in preparation for the Gorrick 100 and found a huge crack in my frame. Several hours of manic bike building of spare play bike allowed me to enter

I would have been gutted if had the frame failed catastrophically during the race

Biking is my passion so it must be right!!

sambob
    Free Member

All works, nothing more. Although I think I may have finally trashed a Shimano BB after almost 18 months in the Peak District. Shock bushes are fairly sloppy too, but I’m not going to bother replacing them until I can afford to get my shock serviced too, no point in having it unridable twice when I could delay it a bit and just have it out of commission for a week or so. Would probably be different if I had another bike.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Though tip top is nice, entropy is always going to win in the end~ todays bike is tomorrows mineral deposit~ I battle where I can, but the war is not for winning.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

everything mechanically tip top, but not fancy. It is of course much easier to keep this way when hardly using the bike 🙁

Cant be riding with worn wobbly bearings – drives me crazy but potential for much more expensive problems. I also find that even if i am not going to ride it, i cannot stand having a bike ‘non-functional’!

perhaps a little OCD…

Suggsey
    Free Member

I am of the ride it so long as the play in the wheel bearings aint going to cause the whole race to collapse or wear out a new set of front pads. Check the frame over every good clean and mainly pick worst of crud from round jockey wheels and derailleurs and clean and lube the chain and also clean any mud from stanchions of forks and little bit of fork lube/grease every now and again. BB get attention when its stiff as does the headset.
    Obviously if its going to be a big day in wilderness I check every nut, bolt and bearing the day before as I would hate to ruin a long drive and full days riding by reducing it to a long walk.

Stoner
    Free Member

Oddly, Ive never had wobbly bearings. dunno why.

I dont have wobbly sus bearings/bushes as I dont have a FS, but also no wheel has ever gone flakey on me.

I did have the chain off for a petrol clean and re-lube this afternoon. Isnt it always the way, you have the chain all clean, half way through applying the wallet-puckeringly expensive “Brazilian Virgins’ Quim Juice” lube to the chain and you find a twisted link. And no spare 1/8″ links to mend it with. New chain out of the box time… 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tip-Top (ish)

They cost enough to start with so no point riding a £2000 bike around and having the ride spoilt by a 50p bearing. The flip side of that is I don’t ride my ‘nice’ bikes if it’s muddy, that’s what the rigid SS 29er’s for and that’s just kept functional, mainly because all it takes is new brake pads every few weeks, CK BB and hope hubs seem to roll on indefinitely.

honourablegeorge

Enjoy the fettling and tweaking (not as much as the riding, mind), and I’m a serial part buyer/seller who tends to replace things when something lighter/better becomes available.

“Fashion victim” is the term, probably.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If its not noisy it doesnt worry me but a noisy bike annoys the hell out of me ( noises it shouldnt be making)

My ragley needs bb stripping out and ti preped as its groaning

All my other bikes are sweet.

Not clean but running aweet 🙂

tazzymtb

wallet-puckeringly expensive “Brazilian Virgins’ Quim Juice”

what you need is some “dirty stokey scutter juice” much cheaper, works just as well but smells of warm fish yoghurt

CHB

Mechanically tip top when it comes to bearings, gears brakes and cables. Not too fussy with chain and frame.
    I cant stand having worn bits, and for the few quid it costs to keep them in fine fettlle I can be more confident that they wont let me down in use.
    Well maintained is not the same as bling. Well maintained is knowing how to use allen keys, spanners and grease.

Stoner
    Free Member

You know when people wax lyrical about using chainsaw oil on their bikes?

“scutter juice” is what Im thinking.

Doity, doity people.

Pieface

Bit of both – ride it in to the ground then spend money sorting it out and replace with relatively good quality replacements.

Anybody else noticed that the people with mechanicals are those that are constant fettlers? My theory is that every time you adjust something you’re introducing a change and therefore something is more likely to fail.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Interestingly enough its my front Pro2 hub bearing on the brake side that has died twice in a year and the last one was an SKF- but i will admit to some over zealous jet washing over the winter. Resorted to £1.87 replacements from local bearing suppliers now as they last the same length of time as SKF when abused. 😉

tazzymtb

Anybody else noticed that the people with mechanicals are those that are constant fettlers

funnily enough all the guys I ride with that have catastrophic bike fails when in the middle of nowhere are those that eke out every last bit of wear from their kit and then act all surprised when it lets go. (they are also the ones who never bring a decent tool kit either) 😆

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m a tip topper. My ride time is limited and the last thing I want is to lose it due to a preventable mechanical. Staying on top of the little things mean you get better performance and life from most stuff too. With forks heading towards 1K for decent ones, I’m quite happy to mitigate replacement costs as much as I can.

That said, I’m running my SS with greater than 1% chain wear – but its an SS so I don’t have to worry about shifting or chainsuck.

Also, Tazzy +1. Mostly I don’t ride with people like that anymore.

Pieface

I guess its finding the balance of keeping everything in a good enough state that its reliable but not having the maintenance being the main focus of your hobby.

Generally buying good quality kit and knowing how worn it is goes a long way.

matt_outandabout

I will fix it, as soon as I can usually, unless it is not *needed*.
    e.g. I have a rear brake with some air in at present and it *sometimes* needs a few pumps of the lever after being on the car or a long climb to work tip top.
    I do fix, repair and use stuff as long as possible though – £’s per mile count…

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

tip top-ish. i like to have my gears tuned and my suspension plush if there is a worn bearing then i will replace it (in time)

So if i can fix it for free (tune up) i will.

transapp
    Free Member

Everything works, and works perfectly. Gears simply can’t rub (and why would they with barrel adjusters on the bars) no wear in the bearings and brakes obviously must work. I tend to keep it fairly clean as well as Ive found that clean bikes tend to work better and you can spot what’s going wrong before it explodes mid ride.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Transapp +1

jam-bo

I really should get around to replacing those spokes in my back wheel. Been nearly three years now…

JRTG
    Free Member

Mine gets soo bad and makes such a racket before I fix it. At least you can hear where I am on the trail with my creaky bb…..

boltonjon

transapp – Member
    I tend to keep it fairly clean as well as Ive found that clean bikes tend to work better and you can spot what’s going wrong before it explodes mid ride

Spot on

I do notice that people who tinker for the sake of tinkering (e.g. hiding from the wife) generally have more minor mechanicals when out riding

The people who do not take care of their bikes have the dreaded ‘ride killers’ more often!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mc – maintenance couldn’t have prevented those mechanicals?

Stoner – twisted links can be straightened.

My bikes all work pretty well, but I don’t mind a bit of overshifting to get a bit more life out of a mech, and I’m happy to re fit say a re packed but imperfect headset or BB bearing.

Seems environmentally sound to do so, a big part of cycling for me.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Only got one bike, which has been built to be as simple and reliable as possible, minimum maintenance, maximum mileage, minimum cost – works for me.

lindsay73
    Free Member

Your pride and joy should be a pleasure to ride, not a chore. So im a tip topper.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘is your bike tip top…or just functional?’ is closed to new replies.