• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by beej.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is "Treme" worth sticking with?
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

I loved “The Wire” like everyone else – I have just watched the 1st 2 episodes of Treme (via Lovefilm) and it’s not really grabbed me yet.

So anyone watched the whole thing? Is it worth my time?

Ta

Jamie
    Free Member

I struggled with it, as I am really not a fan of the music. Unfortunately this is a massive part of the programme. Also the characters seemed a bit obvious/2 dimensional and the whole depiction of the New Orleans residents seems a bit nostalgia tinged to a degree.

Anyway, watched the first 2 seasons and will probably watch the third when it comes out, as there is just enough there to make me stick with it. I think that despite Mr Simon being behind it, I just loves me a good crime drama. Hence Breaking Bad being my viewing du jour at the moment.

grievoustim
    Free Member

The music is fine – but I agree with the 2 dimensional characters. But it is early days. I might watch disc 2 and see how i feel after that

I had no idea it had got to season 3 – I thought it was a single season thing!

Breaking Bad is ace – have you seen season 3 or 4? I have never used torrents but may have to resort to them as there is no sign of them coming to UK TV or DVD

uplink
    Free Member

I watched all of season 1 – and was still undecided if I liked it or not 🙂

I only watched the 1st episode of season 2 and half the 2nd episode before throwing the towel in

grum
    Free Member

Only watched one episode of Treme and found it very slow but will probably give it another go.

I’m also currently hooked on Breaking Bad.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Yes, it gets into all sorts of political stuff, and how some of the characters aren’t coping quite as well as you’d thought….

timnwild

Yeah, keep going – it gets incredibly moving as the characters develop.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a character driven show, and I think it is superb. I can see why it’s not for everyone as most programmes are less ‘talky’ these days, and treme is not afraid to take its time, which is a rare thing. And I suspect, had it not been for the wire, David Simon wouldn’t have had it commissioned, let alone for a second series.

Treme and Boardwalk Empire started at around the same time in the uk and for me Treme won hands down.

uplink
    Free Member

Treme and Boardwalk Empire started at around the same time in the uk and for me Treme won hands down

Opposite for me
    2nd season of Boardwalk Empire started in the US last night – looks good

chakaping
    Free Member

I think so yes, bits of it annoyed me but overall I enjoyed it.

Not sure if it was co-incidence or deliberate that all the white, male characters were irritating losers.

The music is amazing.

loddrik
    Free Member

Not sure if I’d agree that say, John Goodmans, steve zahns or david morse’s characters are irritating losers…

chakaping
    Free Member

I was thinking specifically of John Goodman and Steve Zahn! And the long-haired musician with the violin-playing GF.

We better not give away the plot though.

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I had no idea it had got to season 3 – I thought it was a single season thing!

It has only been recommissioned, so getting ahead of myself a little bit.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it. But it is slow moving.

And the music is a big part. If you don’t enjoy that then I think it would be hard to get into.

Series 2 has just started on Sky.

I much preferred it to Boardwalk Empire.

toby1

I might have to revisit Breaking Bad, I watched series 1 and only thought it was ok – not worth digging into 2, but it does seem to have a good rep on here.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

the characters seemed a bit obvious/2 dimensional

Watching the ‘making of’ doc DVD extras on the last disc most of the characters are supposedly heavily based on real people and there’s a lot of people in it (esp the musicians, playing themselves).

It’s more of a slow burner than The Wire but the music made it for me. Looking forward to S2.

beej

It is slow, but that’s part of the charm for me; maybe I’m slow too. It is set in the Big Easy…

The music is a huge part of it, if you don’t like that sort of thing then it may not grab you.

Second series feels like it might have a bit more plot.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is "Treme" worth sticking with?’ is closed to new replies.