Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Is this your typical London cyclist?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve just seen this on bikeradar: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/photography-exhibition-shows-londons-most-stylish-cyclists-31781

Is this what cycling is all about in London? They look like **** tools.

“Londons most stylish cyclists” – They cant seriously be considered cyclists can they? Pootling around in their fancy clothes on some retro chic bike just to enhance their cool/hip/leftfield image.

Cycling is about freedom, pushing your comfort zone, getting away from it all – not being bogged down by style/fashion/consumerism and the fact you cant pedal properly due to wearing rediculous shoes.

They arent even wearing bike helmets ffs.

Idiots.

globalti
    Free Member

I saw that and had exactly the same thought. They look like this lot:

simon_g

Dorks in stained yellow jackets are the “typical” London cyclist, as with elsewhere. The idea of just getting around the city in your regular clothes on a bike isn’t as common as the one where you have to dress in bright colours and wear a polystyrene hat because otherwise YOU WILL DIE OUT THERE.

mossimus
    Free Member

If ‘typical London’ is Shoreditch/Hoxton on a sunny day then yes this is typical. Otherwise no.

sl2000

I (vaguely) know Jonathan Kelsey. He is undeniably way more stylish than most; and he does ride a bike – so I’d agree with the “Londons most stylish cyclists”. Unfortunately I think I’m more typical of a London cyclist in geeky flouro yellow and panniers / mudguards.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

8 pictures, not one helmet! Great role models……Bike radar should know better!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hey, at least they’re out riding bikes as transport. That has to be a good thing, even with all the sneering…! 😉

emsz
    Free Member

Is this what cycling is all about in London? They look like **** tools. To me fixed it for you 😉

Cycling is about freedom, pushing your comfort zone, getting away from it all – not being bogged down by style/fashion/consumerism and the fact you cant pedal properly due to wearing rediculous shoes.

You know something? people are free to do whatever they like. Sometimes I ride in a skirt (on my chameleon LOL) and sometimes I wear flip flops I sometimes don’t even wear a helmet. As for being “bogged down by style” oh please 🙄 people are free to dress exactly how they want, last time I went to Cymcarn, i pissed myself watching all the middle aged blokes trying to look all rad and hardcore, all beer bellies and hairy white legs…

lets all be happy that different opinions and life views exist, shall we?

D0NK

Utility and fashionista cyclist aren’t bothered about freedom comfort zones or getting away from it. Neither are they bothered about heart rate, flow or sweet trails (dude) Still cyclists.

clubber
    Free Member

Cycling is about freedom, pushing your comfort zone, getting away from it all – not being bogged down by style/fashion/consumerism

Which is ironic considering that you seem to be trying to impose your own code on people rather than allowing them freedom… If they want to dress like that, who cares?

allthepies
    Free Member

CFH spotted ?

grievoustim
    Free Member

I haven’t looked at all the photos, but the couple I saw seemed to show people riding practical bikes as a form of transport, wearing the regular clothes they wear day to day. IMO this is “a good thing”. I wear a helmet/ Lycra etc if I’m “going for a ride” – but I also use my bike as a convenient way of getting around the city I live in. I just jump on wearing what I’m wearing. I don’t feel the need to cover myself in hi viz and helmets when I do this. More people should do this – more people should ride bikes. More people riding = safer roads, rather than a few people riding in dirty yellow macs and funny hats

allthepies
    Free Member

Or….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Errmmmm – urban cycling is about transport. Nothing more and nothing less. It does amuse me that to you cycling is about freedom – but you have to wear the right clothes and helmet.

stumpy01

emsz – Member

You know something? people are free to do whatever they like. Sometimes I ride in a skirt (on my chameleon LOL) and sometimes I wear flip flops I sometimes don’t even wear a helmet. As for being “bogged down by style” oh please people are free to dress exactly how they want, last time I went to Cymcarn, i pissed myself watching all the middle aged blokes trying to look all rad and hardcore, all beer bellies and hairy white legs…

lets all be happy that different opinions and life views exist, shall we?

This was my first thought but you put it better than me (although I have never ridden in a skirt or pee-peed myself at Cwm Carn), so I thought I’d repeat it.

emsz
    Free Member

Allthepipes, it is London Fashion Week after all….

or maybe she/(he? Is that stubble?) just wants to look **** cool. 😆

honourablegeorge

I rode to work this morning in a high vis vest. Any pretensions I might have about looking stylish go out the window as soon as that goes on. Wouldn’t be without it, though – it seems to have stopped drivers pulling out in front of me on roundabouts.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

not being bogged down by style/fashion/consumerism

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

funniest thing in a while. you perhaps should have chosen a different forum to vent such spleenage.

wwaswas

At least it’s North Face hi-viz and not RonHill, though 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think you can call them cyclists (or at least not real cyclists), thats all. I mean how can you ride a bike wearing shoes like these. All she does is fill the basket with fancy designer shopping bags, and push it round london, makes her look the height of “cool”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

And this guy, whats does he use his bike for? Cycling round his huge mansion?

Lifer
    Free Member

(or at least not real cyclists)

Real Cyclists League – ACTIVATE!

FFS

wwaswas

real cyclists

anyone who’s prepared to get on a bike in London (or anywhere really) is a ‘real’ cyclist, in my book.

If it’s one less car journey and one more slightly healthier person then it’s all good, no?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anyone else wonder how on earth Paul Smith is still relevant in design circles? Every time I see one of his ‘limited editions’ it’s either all black or covered in stripes and ridiculously expensive. Is that all he’s got?

D0NK

David I dunno who he is but judging from the bloody awful decor it’s an old mahoosive mansion the like of which I used to get dragged round on family holidays, to be fair I’d much rather have ridden round them than walked. Kudios to the man for doing what I couldn’t.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Emzs – perfectly said. People get way to snobby about what a bike rider is or should be. Wear whatever you want to wear and accept that if you see a rider wearing something different, they are still a bike rider. Suit, cool. Yellow vest, also cool. Take chill pills guys. It’s all just people riding bikes!

PJM1974
    Free Member

8 pictures, not one helmet! Great role models……Bike radar should know better!!

I dunno, a few of them looked like colossal helmets to me.

crikey
    Free Member

Is this what cycling is all about in London off road? They look like **** tools.

Londons UKs most stylish cyclists” – They cant seriously be considered cyclists can they? Pootling around in their fancy clothes on some retro chic hugely over suspended bike just to enhance their cool/hip/leftfield image.

Cycling is about freedom, pushing your comfort zone, getting away from it all – not being bogged down by style/fashion/consumerism being a chubby middle aged dad who wears skate shoes and baggy shorts because that’s what the magazines told me to wear to look cool in the car park, and don’t forget all those pads in case I fall off and hurt my knee/elbow/ego.

Lifer
    Free Member

anyone who’s prepared to get on a bike in London (or anywhere really) is a ‘real’ cyclist, in my book

Sorry but the First Edict of Taylforth says:

“Thou art not a cyclist lest ye be wearing disco slippers and protection of the cranium”

D0NK

real cyclists

owning a car makes you a motorist, it doesn’t make you a “petrolhead”.
    Owning a bike makes you a cyclist (well riding a bike actually), it doesn’t make you a cyclist….
    nah don’t really work does it, we need a cycle enthusiast alternative name

I suggest bikespod.

crikey
    Free Member

I dont think you can call them cyclists (or at least not real cyclists), thats all. I mean how can you ride a bike wearing shoes like these. All she does is fill the basket Camelbak with fancy designer shopping bags stuff, and push it round london up every hill she comes too, makes her look the height of “cool”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My dutch nephew asked me where all the normal cyclists were in Edinburgh as all he saw was lycrad and helmeted folk.

Seriously – If you are using your bike for urban transport ordinary clothes and shoes are fine. Its the lycra clad / special shoe / helmet wearing folk that are out of step with wider trends

smell_it
    Free Member

Errmmmm – urban cycling is about transport. Nothing more and nothing less.

Only if you want to make it a dour experience, but that’s your choice. Granted, for me through the worst of a wet manchester winter it’s about transport and training miles. But in finer weather, I choose routes/ bikes to make things as much fun as possible, I don’t see why the trip to and from work should just be ‘getting to work’.

wwaswas

bikespod

perhaps ‘CycleNerd’ would be better 😉

simon_g

I mean how can you ride a bike wearing shoes like these.

Slowly. Which is still a hell of a lot quicker than walking, and cheaper than a cab. Going a bit slower means not turning up dripping with sweat too, thus not needing to change at the other end.

You really need to take a trip to Amsterdam or Copenhagen, I’ve seen ladies cycling to evening events in ballgowns and the like, way less practical than what she’s wearing. Cycling is a means of transport in cities, you don’t need to conform to the “urban commute warrior” uniform and get dressed in special clothes just to go a mile or two down the road.

D0NK

Now come on TJ the lass with the shiny aviators aint wearing normal shoes. I’m guessing they are just for the photo shoot but maybe you can pedal to the shops in them…?

Can any ladies (or gents it’s a free world) comment on the ability to pedal in those type of heels?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Donk – commonplace in cities where cycling is the usual form of transport. go to Amsterdam or copenhagan and see.

crikey
    Free Member

I can ride SPDs in flip flops, she’s just more talented than that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“Fashion designer and cycling enthusiast Paul Smith”

He doesnt look very enthusiastic, infact he looks **** gutted. Probably because he’s wearing daft clothes and trying to ride a bike with one brake and a fixed gear. A great advert for cycling. He should have taken that taxi.

simon_g

Why wouldn’t she be able to pedal in them? Only the part under the ball of your foot needs to be on the pedal, and for going along the flat in a low gear, you don’t even need to apply much pressure.

A friend cycles in heels most of the time, it’s fine. Traditional-type rubber pedals give plenty of grip for the job and don’t damage the shoes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Is this your typical London cyclist?’ is closed to new replies.