Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is this right in 2011?
  • alexathome
    Free Member

I work in an ‘intermediate’ school ages 11 – 13, only for 2 more weeks however, then i’m leaving! It’s a very multicultural school in New Zealand. Now for the end of term ‘talent show’ the teacher have informed me that we are to perform a rendition of ‘Melting pot’ by Blue Mink.

They pretty much stopped playing this in the UK years ago, it was fazed out with Gollywogs and flares. Here they don’t think anything of playing it on the radio as well as calling Pakistani’s ‘****’s’ when discussing the cricket on the radio, as well as calling Maori kids ‘darkies’.

I’ve been here 3 1/2 years now and still can’t get used to it. No one has called me a honky yet mind.

My problem is that I think that the song is just not really appropriate. However if I am to say anything I might appear to be racist as I don’t wish to sing a song about multiracial interbreeding.

I am not doing it anyway as I think it’s a crock of Sh1t, and i’m off anyway. I do however want to cause as much trouble as I can in the staff meeting when I kick off and say that I don’t want to be involved in their ‘performance’.

I think that this is a way better version

Any ideas of a great argument against involvement in this lameness?

😈

CaptJon
    Free Member

Go for heavy irony. Tell them that they, the teachers, like all New Zealanders are racists who don’t understand the way civilised people should behave and act towards others. Explain that in advanced European countries and places like Australia using derogatory language to imply, whether implicitly or explicitly (pause to check if they understand the difference), other ethnic groups are lesser humans is plain wrong, but you’re not surprised that a bunch of boguns would hold such unsophisticated ideals close to their hearts.

alexathome
    Free Member

10/10 Captjon, outstanding! including ‘Australia’ as a place where comparatively civilized people live is gold! I’m going to write a rant right away based on your suggestion. Great stuff! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midlifecrashes

Okay I had to google it, so here are the lyrics.

Take a pinch of white man
    Wrap him up in black skin
    Add a touch of blue blood
    And a little bitty bit of red Indian boy
    Oh like a Curly Latin kinkies
    Oh Lordy, Lordy, mixed with yellow Chinkees, yeah
    You know you lump it all together
    And you got a recipe for a get along scene
    Oh what a beautiful dream
    If it could only come true, you know, you know

What we need is a great big melting pot
    Big enough enough enough to take
    The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
    And turn out coffee coloured people by the score

Rabbis and the friars
    Vishnus and the gurus
    We got the Beatles or the Sun God
    Well it really doesn’t matter what religion you choose
    And be thankful little Mrs. Graceful
    You know that livin’ could be tasteful
    We should all get together in a lovin machine
    I think I’ll call up the queen
    It’ s only fair that she knows, you know, you know

What we need is a great big melting pot
    Big enough enough enough to take
    The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
    And turn out coffee coloured people by the score

Either seriously WTF? Or fine troll sir, I can’t decide.

hels
    Free Member

You really are applying a Pommie sensibility to all this – get on that plane home now before you do any damage !

(“****” is only a racist term in the UK btw. In NZ it’s like calling Australians “aussies” or Americans “yanks”. And I refuse to believe that anybody uses the term “darkie” except maybe in the redneck south.)

But will be interested to hear how you get on with the staff meeting. Any chance you could film it for us ??

Dobbo

Speaking as a honky white man I find it OK.

philconsequence
    Free Member

alan partridge is the only man who can sing that song.

alexathome
    Free Member

hels – Member

You really are applying a Pommie sensibility to all this – get on that plane home now before you do any damage !

I’ve thought of that, i’m not offended as such (and anyone that know’s me from my bike shop days knows that I am not easily offended!), i just think that it’s Sh1t, making us sing a song that calls Chinese kids yellow. And I think that the reason that they think that no one might find it a little wrong annoys me. They annoy me, so I want to kick up a stink as my trouble in staff meeting swan song.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think in 1973 (or whatever) it might have been quite good for winding up Enoch Powell types with its talk of a coffee-coloured future.

But the only person who could possibly want to sing it now is Mr G.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_G

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

The song lyrics are great, Regards Enoch.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed, get on that plane out of that cultural backwater.

I’m in the WTF camp – you’re definitely not trolling?

grum
    Free Member

You really are applying a Pommie sensibility to all this

The Pommie sensibility of not being horribly backwards and racist? 🙂

Racist or not it’s an awful, awful song. Do people really sing this in schools? Amazing.

alexathome
    Free Member

100% not trolling, I thought that i might even film it, youtube it and link it to the international community that they are trying to attract as an IB (international bachaloriate) school. I’m sure that the Koreans would love it!

poppa
    Free Member

I’ve watched Alan Partridge sing that several times and never knew what it meant.

scaredypants

i just think that it’s Sh1t, making us sing a song that calls Chinese kids yellow

but they are “yellow” by comparison – though didn’t it call them chinky, too (that’s maybe worse but, in its time, needn’t have been racist)

the song was promoting (forced?) universal racial integration – by breeding. Hard to see that as racist (against any one particular race anyway).

anyhow, some of my best friends are <early 70s hippie/pop crossover fans>

piha
    Free Member

Bloody moaning Pakeha

DezB
    Free Member

I always thought it was an anti-racist song (of a sort).
    Mixing people up, like. Not sure if they literally meant everyone should be coffee coloured.

alexathome
    Free Member

piha – Member

Bloody moaning Pakeha

Ahem, that’s Honkey to you Westie! 😀

I know i’m moaning, that’s the point. I’m just after ideas on the best plan of attack.

alexathome
    Free Member

DezB – Member

I always thought it was an anti-racist song (of a sort).

Yup. that’s about it. But I do have an issue on the benefits implied or otherwise of interbreeding and disseminating this through the medium of ‘song’ to a group of 11 to 13 year olds.

And I see it as a prime opportunity to give the middle aged grumpy cow that’s organizing the whole thing a dressing down.

DezB
    Free Member

..interbreeding…11 to 13 year olds

Maybe it’s good that they’re a bit backwards down there. Interbreeding between 11-13 year olds is an everyday occurrence over here.

alexathome
    Free Member

Yer, not so much where I am. They are nice kids. There was an incident with some snogging at the beginning of term, but we don’t talk about it.

I can just imagine these kids going home singin:

And a little bitty bit of red Indian boy
    Oh like a Curly Latin kinkies
    Oh Lordy, Lordy, mixed with yellow Chinkees, yeah….. etc etc….

What the heck their ultra conservative Korean/Chinese/Japanese parents are going to think.

In my mind it’s all wrong, on so many levels.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is this right in 2011?’ is closed to new replies.