Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is this normal LBs warranty service
  • Kevevs
    Free Member

I really like my lbs, so this isn't a slagging or anything.

I bought some roadbike sti's off classifieds. took em to lbs to get fitted/adjusted/bartaped, etc.

turns out left sti unit knackered (ratchet), but the guy I bought it off swears it's ok when posted. I beleive him. He sent me the receipt for the bike the sti's ame off as it was only a 2009 model. My lbs agreed to do warranty on the broken shifter, said it'll take at least 2 weeks, what with post etc..

It's now ready for pick up 9 weeks after taking to bike shop. Is that about normal for a shimano warranty job?

I'm just curious, could I have done it faster by just trying to sort it out myself thro the distributors/spesh/shimano/madison or whoever rather than asking lbs do it? I understand warranty issues are a pain for all concerned. should it take over 2 months? any experiences? cheers
    kev

walleater

Sounds about right. Shimano LH STI shifters seem pretty weak and are like rocking horse poo.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Left hand internals for Shimano road levers are pretty easy to get hold of. There were issues with the levers that were double and triple so that would be swapped for a double or triple specific lever which is a lot more reliable.

convert

1stly why did you believe him that it mysteriously metamorphosed in the post from working to dead. Sounds far fetched to me.

2ndly, once you had swollowed that line I think you were lucky to get it sorted at all tbh as the warranty is not transferable.

3rdly, yep Madison do drag their feet to be honest.

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

When it comes to warranty your at the back of the line in waiting terms, for any company making money always comes before spending it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Convert +1

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

yes but shimano can be very spotty on getting hold of spares

your LBS has done you a favour. They have no responsibility to execute the warranty on this kit, it wasn't from them. If you think they broke the shifter then that's something else, but then you're taking the word of some dude on flea-bay over an outfit that you have an ongoing relationship with (your LBS) which seems a bit backwards to me.

suck it up is my advice. You bought second hand stuff and have managed to get it warranted for new internals. You've done well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

No reason why your LBS should have done anything. They didn't sell he parts so could have washed their hands of it. I'd be very pleased with them if I were you. Especially as the warranty only covers the original owner. I'd say they've gone the extra mile. There's a good chance that without a shop ID number, Madison wouldn't have been willing to deal with you anyway.

DickBarton

Sound about right…my LBS (Flying Fox bikes) goes out their way to sort out issues – causing them time and money but they want to make sure the customer is happy. What it does mean is that the bike shop is very efficient and helpful but once the item has been sent back for warranty they are at the mercy of the supplier – which can be inconvenient. They do keep you informed of any progress though so although it could be a bit of a wait, you aren't left wondering if you have been forgotten about.

Your LBS sounds like a good shop who is trying to look after their customers – but also sounds like they were at the mercy of the supplier.

br
    Free Member

they said it would take at least 2 weeks, and 9 weeks is at least 2 weeks. Whats the problem?

nbt

Have had two such shifters fail on me, in both cases it took 5 or 6 weeks for my excellent LBS to persuade the wholesalers / importers to send out the replacement parts

Onzadog
    Free Member

In answer to the original question in the title: –

No, it's not normal service; it's excellent service.

spooky_b329

I waited about 8 weeks for my LBS to get some replacement spokes for an XT wheelset. Ended up sourcing some XTR ones myself but they had to be bodged to fit, and don't match the others.

Still not got any spares 🙄

tinsy
    Free Member

You bought some stuff cheap 2nd hand, took it to the bikeshop for a very basic bit of fitting (making it expensive again), the cheap 2nd hand stuff didnt work and the bike shop got it fixed for you for free..

What's your beef?

Edric64
    Free Member

The op has an excellent LBS and Madison were good to supply at all as he was not the purchaser from new

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don't have any beef! Cheers for the feedback guys. I was just interested as I've not had a warranty issue before and this is a bit of unusual circumstances. Better get the shop some hob nobs 🙂

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Didnt realise the turnaround on the LH shifters was usually so long – i've had shimano LH shifters fail on me twice and both times my LBS had them replaced under warranty within a couple of days. Feel a bit bad now for moaning at them for me being without my bike over a weekend!

akira

Warranties can be a few days up to several months depending on the supplier/problem/shop. Seen stuff get to the supplier then just out to one side and ages spent tracking it down, or just literally waiting for the right part to become available.

cozmobozo
    Free Member

Madison wouldnt deal directly with a member of the public, youd have to go through a shop anyway. In my opinion i would say that the shop has done you a very nice favour. As has been said they had no reason to sort out the warrenty return and it will have cost them money to return the item. I think youve done well and that you have a good shop.
    It is a shame that it took 9 weeks to sort out, this could be due to more than one reason and quite often not the shops fault. But at least its all done now and you can get back on the bike

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wot cozmobozo sed !

Kevevs
    Free Member

It's not costing them, I'm paying the postage, I'm paying £55 inc bartape & adjustment/fitting.

"But at least its all done now and you can get back on the bike"
    yup.that's all i'm arsed about!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is this normal LBs warranty service’ is closed to new replies.