Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is there a better saddle than a Charge Spoon?
  • Kahurangi

I'm pre-empting MBUK's saddle test really. Went and bought a second Spoon for the new bike; I had seconds thoughts when I remembered about the MBUK test, but surely there's nothing better for anything close to £25?

Of course I know I'll get on with a spoon if it's my second but did fancy something different!

bassspine
    Free Member

So many people say they're good, I may have to buy one.

MrSparkle

I like mine. A lot. Did Kielder 100 on SS and wasn't aware of the saddle. Says it all.
    I also like my SDG Bel Airs on my other bikes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nope, I love mine

radoggair
    Free Member

sdg bel air is good, so strangely enough is my carbon flite tt which got me round the kielder 100 no probs

Every arse to their own i guess

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I got one recently, sat on it and it was instantly perfectly comfortable. Couldn't rate it more highly.

smiffy

Flite

PJM1974
    Free Member

Same here… The finest tribute to pay to any new saddle is when you ride ten miles down the road and forget its there.

Am very pleased with mine, so much so that I'll look at the Ti version next.

EccentricEllis

Check out the SDG bel air. I have had 3 🙂 just bought another for my EX9

Go on merlincycles. They're about £20 in a super sale.
    They've also got a titanium railed one for £40 ish.

Hope that helped.

si-wilson
    Free Member

yeah, a Chumba saddle 🙂 very similar shape to the spoon.

not got a close up pic, but you get the idea. £22 posted, black or white 🙂

tog575
    Free Member

Spoons the best saddle i've ever bought. Should buy another one just incase they go out of production.

rOcKeTdOg

if they still made the old flite i'd have them on all my bikes, spoons ok, synth one does get a bit 'squidy' on hot days with just lycra on though

mike_p
    Free Member

Bel Air RL Ti, £30-£35 if you shop around. I have three, not tried the Spoon tho'

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

There are lots of budget choices out there. Everyone's butt is different.

I went through a saddle buying frenzy and before I got ended up where my end is (sic). Along the way I also got a Spoon.

For me it's one of the most painful saddles ever made and a slightly less important aspect – its way heavier (50%) than it says on the box / sleeve.

For me though ultimatley though I think it's down to the hammock shape. You'll either love it or hate it – you can guess what camp I'm in! Build quality is also on the lowish side.

Overall – its a cheapish way to see if you like hammock saddles.

4ndyB
    Free Member

WTB Rocket V is my fave saddle, but as the Ti railed versions cost twice the price of the Ti Spoon, I now have a Ti Spoon & it's very good (but not quite as comfy as the WTB Rocket!)

Thing with saddles is it all depends on the shape of your arse as to which one is comfiest for you.

13thfloormonk

I'm a convert to the WTB Pure V.

It came as stock on my Marin Rocky Ridge, the cheap ones have quite soft padding, which compared to all the racey saddles i'd used previously made a huge difference, even on the very long rides (5-10 hours) where i would have expected the extra squidge to maybe cause discomfort. the soft padded nose makes a big difference on climbs too.

i've since bought a more expensive version, the padding is less soft but still very comfy.

i guess the conclusion is that a)i have a freeride shaped arse and b)soft padding isn't necessarily a bad thing!

FWIW i found the Spoon pretty comfy until i moved from the 'hammock', say to winch up a steep climb or something.

adt
    Free Member

I have got a Tune Speedneedle on my mtb and swear its the best saddle I have ever had , done some pretty big rides on it as well

http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=3

Northwind

I noticed in that review, the Gusset R looks like the exact same saddle as the Spoon, if you want some different colours etc. (it may not be the same, but it looks absolutely identical). Available in, er, denim and leopardskin, or tartan, but also some nice modern looking one-pieces.

I can't see past the Spoon myself, it's not light but it's well made and more than comfy enough for me, pretty great really.

I've got a Knife as well, the lightweight titanium railed, thinner version, and it's more of the same though more expensive and less comfy- I reckon the Knife may be slightly better but then it costs about twice as much.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is there a better saddle than a Charge Spoon?’ is closed to new replies.