Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is my landlord dead?
  • ziggy
    Free Member

So have a few issues with my house that need sorting.

I've tried phoning, left a message 6 times, last 2 weeks the phone has been off. I've sent a recorded letter which got lost by RM 🙄 Sent another which was delivered 9 days ago.

So now I've resorted to not paying the rent to get his attention, 2 weeks late now and still no contact.

What to do?

dickydutch

sounds like your typical, 'run of the mill' landlord behaviour. Experienced that many a time. With holding rent usually gets their attention though. Tossers.

fatboyjon

If yours is like mine, he might not even notice. I changed my bank account a few months ago and all the standing orders were supposed to have been switched automatically but my rent wasn't. As I don't use this account for anything other than a standing order in and bills out it took me 2 months to notice so I rang to apologise and he had no idea I hadn't paid! Makes me wish I'd kept schtum.

ziggy
    Free Member

Trouble is I've got a broken window handle and my house isn't secure, the bikes live in a secure shed though.

allthepies
    Free Member

Get it fixed and deduct full cost from the rent you're withholding then.

zokes
    Free Member

Fix it yourself and invoice him. Payment in lieu of rent?

br
    Free Member

Agree with the others, just fix it and send him the bill – noting how you've already taken it off the rent…

Talkemada
    Free Member

Another tenant/landlord type thread!

I believe you have the right to carry out any repairs to ensure the safety and security of your home, if your landlord is unwilling/unable to do them. It is their responsibility, but you have the legal right to safety and security. You could justifiably claim these are emergency essential repairs.

So, as suggested, get the repairs sorted out, and deduct the cost from the rent payment. You'd be advised to get at least 3 separate quotes for the work though, to cover yourself. Electrical, plumbing and gas repairs have to be done by fully qualified/certificated personnel.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah, get three quotes, send them to him/her, let them know what you're doing, just to be on the safe side. I think one of my friends had this and their landlord was in fact dead.

iain1775
    Free Member

yes your landlord is dead, I just contacted him from beyond the grave and he confirmed so himself
    He asks if you could fix the handle before the new owners kick you out it would be appreciated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is my landlord dead?’ is closed to new replies.