• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is it worth rebuilding an X9 shifter?
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

I can’t find any instructions of where the springs etc. go and have never rebuilt one before? Cover off and BOOM, stuff everywhere!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Failing that….have you got one you can sell me? X9 Front Shifter (3spd).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I did this. I’m a reasonably good mechanic with plenty of patience. I couldnt get it back together, and ended up buying a new one… 🙁

You have been warned! 😉

ltheisinger
    Free Member

You have been warned!

Too late! I had already opened it and the stuff went everywhere!

Now looking to rebuild or buy another. I too am reasonably good at the mechanics, but just don’t know where to start?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I took mine apart and put it bak together the other day. What are you struggling with?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

I took mine apart and put it bak together the other day. What are you struggling with?

Everything! I have have it in pieces? The spring in side the level side is the most problematic, I have no idea where that goes??

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Awesome… I am actually a more skilled mechanic than PP!!! I am actually a more skilled mechanic than PP!! 😀

It took me about oh…. 4 hours or so.

Every single piece needs to be aligned perfectly, while the spring is held in place under some considerable tension. I think I repeated the same steps over and over maybe 20-30 times, learning by trial and error, with bits flying all over the place and the shifter not quite working, before finally figuring out the correct sequence.

Think of it as like a Rubik’s cube.

Look for the little plastic slots where things slot into and try not to get confused by the things that look like places where things slot into.

Enjoy.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I rebuilt one last week in the matter of 30 minutes, they aren’t that difficult.

Once you know how to that is, the first time I sat there rather perplexed.

LoCo
    Free Member

It is do able but a bit of a PITA, mine worked for about a year afterwards until it was changed for a shimano one.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206749

Have a look at this pics etc might help?
    Richard

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

OP, yes it is worth rebuilding it, you have nothing to loose at this point as the shifter is in bits anyway.

The pictures above do help.

I did exactly the same as you, opened the cover and ejected the parts.
    Most of it I worked out but I did use the 9 speed shifter as a template by carefully taking the cover off and looking at the assembled parts. This is / was a high risk strategy and could result in two non functional shifters !

Best of luck

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – managed to rebuild it only to find out that the ratchet piece in side had rounded off anyway. Worth doing just so that I know in future how to do it! Wasn’t to bad….

Richard – thanks for the link, that REALLY helped.

marsdenman
    Free Member

ratchet piece in side had rounded off anyway.

guessing that’s what happened on my XO front shifter… (as X9 but with the carbon cover?)… took a look at the above pictures and figured nope, that’s not for me = new pair of XO twist-grip shifters going on tonight….

brassneck

You will have lost at least one tiny but significant part 🙁

I gave up after my second went, the bit you unscrew to change cables somehow turned the bolt in the bottom (never happened before) it dropped off and bits went everywhere. After that I decided it was in my best interest to look elsewhere.. cheap XO twisty shifters from merlin helped and I’m very happy with them.

fbk
    Free Member

I’ve done this a few times. Not easy and you do have to get everything spotless, lightly greased and exactly lined up.

I’ve also had the same problem with the ratchety thing rounding off at one corner on an X0 shifter. I sent it back to SRAM (via my LBS) and they replaced the whole shifter under warranty – can’t argue with that 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth rebuilding an X9 shifter?’ is closed to new replies.