Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is a hernia blatently obvious?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Think I have a groin/abdominal strain but have the thought of hernia slipping into my head. Has anyone had one, are they really obvious?

Trying to save myself a trip to the doc. 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

not sure if they are that obvious. My dad had groin complaints recently, they had lasted a while so he finally went to the docs. Turned out he had a double hernia.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine was obvious, I could push it back in!

maxray
    Free Member

hmm feels the same both sides but only one side is sore, so hopeful its a strain.

Google Imaged hernia.. gutted I was having lunch!

Ta,

Tinners

If, when you cough, you suddenly develop a scr0tum like a spacehopper, with your b****cks rattling round like lottery balls inside, then I'd say it's a hernia. I'm sure that your doctor wouldn't mind if you went along for an opinion, even if it's to reassure you that all is well. Nobody on here would be able to give you a confident answer, even if they were medical, without seeing it I'm sure.

aka_Foamy
    Free Member

Hugely painful when you first do it. Should be able to be pushed back in (and then returns). Otherwise they're not painful. If it's 'long gone' they're f**king obvious as in they're a big (extra) lump in your man sack if it's small it's not that obvious.

My experience was one that was really bloody obvious that I did myself on one side and a heridatary one on the other side. The surgeon didn't spot the small one till my final consulatation before surgery.

Biggest tips I could give you are get to your doctor first and foremost. If you have got one then do your best to get it fixed by keyhole surgery. My old man and my uncle got theirs done by more old fashioned means and were out of action for ages. I was lucky enough to have it done privately and was on my feet the next day. Plus whilst they have six inch scars for life my 1cm scar has now faded after 8 or so years.

Best of luck with it, hopefuly it's just a strain.

maxray
    Free Member

So are they right down near your knackers then? This is more at the base of the stomach muscle near where it would join your leg if that makes sense..

Trimix
    Free Member

This thread is usless without picures.

maxray
    Free Member

Ah tinners theres nothing noticable to "see" as such, im thinking more and more that its a strain.. think ill go along anyway and let my doctor cop a feel 😉

StirlingCrispin

My inguinal hernias were bulges above my groin, one on each side.
    Didn't hurt at all for several years but started to ache a bit when I coughed. Finally went to the docs after a friend had an op and my father had an emergency repair.
    The doc and surgeon both said immediately – that needs to be fixed, so I guess they were quite bad, but as I said – no discomfort.

Get them checked!

aka_Foamy
    Free Member

Can be both 'high' and 'low'. Basically hernias in general can pop up anywhere where bits that are supposed to hold something in stop holding that stuff in. i.e. a herniated disc in your back is when the outer layer of the disc stops holding in the internal fluid.

nickc

my SIL's was immediately obvious, and she was in a huge amount of pain. Operation was not a great deal of laughs, but they did draw a giant arrow in indelible ink pointing to her fanny on her, so I LOL'd.

maxray
    Free Member

😀 ace

a giant arrow in indelible ink pointing to her fanny

nickc

I tried to make her laugh by suggesting things she could write on it, but apparently "I wasn't helping" and I was made to stand outside with the children…

iainc

you must know her well……. 😛

maxray
    Free Member

Maybe she'd written it as a hint.

nickc

She's a love. She was in a bit of grump about the "half arsed Brazilian" they'd given her, so I don't think she was in the best of moods.

IHN

This thread is useless without pics

Happy to help 🙂

nickc

eeeeuuuuwwwww

Thanks for sharing…. 😕

maxray
    Free Member

Quite an axe wound! 🙂

:S

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've got a hernia the size of a golf ball just above my navel. Getting it operated on next month. Shame in a way, it's quite fun squidging it back in 😀

aka_Foamy
    Free Member

@ nickc I woke up bald as Matt Lucas down there with no warning. Was fuming it was litterally a bald patch as my legs and stomach were as yeti like as ever

nmdbase
    Free Member

Starts out feeling like a strain, you will know if you have one, place your fingers on it and cough. Mine felt like a strain then 6 months later it was a big lump that you could push back in.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Starts out feeling like a strain, you will know if you have one, place your fingers on it and cough. Mine felt like a strain then 6 months later it was a big lump that you could push back in.

samuri
    Free Member

I can't believe I'm the first to do this.

Think I have a groin/abdominal strain but have the thought of hernia slipping into my head.

Hernia's don't happen in your head, they happen in your stomach.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I thought the same samuri!

Anyhow, it depends on which type of hernia.

For example, a femoral hernia can be difficult to detect, even if you know where you are looking.

I'd chill out for a few days to see if it gets better.

If it doesn't, go see your GP, but stop relying on unqualified STW forum contributors, for their two penneth worth. There are stack sof things that can go wrong with the human body and it takes and expert to assess the symptoms. There's an extremely high chance you'll get the wrong end of the stick listeing to advice on here.

For medical matters, just seek professional advice.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's certainly affecting your thinking. It's patently obvious not blatently.

Weasel
    Free Member

I had an inguinal hernia repair this year, I underestimated how much the op would put me back as I was told it would be keyhole not open surgery and the first week after the op was torture – but a month off work was great, and 8 weeks off the bike not so great.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Is a hernia blatently obvious?’ is closed to new replies.