Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Iron Maiden on BBC4
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

ok it may ultimately mean the same thing but that kind of confidence is what you need to make it as a singer, and perhaps make it at anything in life.

My point being is that there are times and places to say this sort of stuff and I think he scored an own-goal by saying it like he did in an interview.

And I still think that Iron Maiden and Killers blow all subsequent Maiden albums out of the water (with the possible exception of NOTB which is as good, but no better). IMO.

And I didn't realise that his pilot's licence made him somehow better or something. Lots of people have them you know! My best mate's brother in law has one – wow!

mikey74
    Free Member

And my point was that he didn't say it the way you described it. The way he actually said it was no where near as critical as you are making out.

No one said having a pilots license was a big deal: The point is that to hold a commercial airline pilots job, front one of the biggest bands in the world, present radio programmes, write books, present tv programmes all takes alot of energy and talent and not a small amount of confidence.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And my point was that he didn't say it the way you described it.

You don't agree that he came across as being arrogant then?

Don't get me wrong – I have always had a lot of time for him (and have stated this in the thread) but admiring someone doesn't mean you do not have a right to be critical when they say something stupid. And in *my opinion* he said something stupid. I am not the only one (there are plenty of people on here who agree with me on this) that thinks that Paul Dianno-era Maiden were superior. And I say that as someone who cut his metal teeth on Dickinson-era Maiden.

mikey74
    Free Member

No I don't agree that he came across as arrogant. Confident and sure of what he wanted, but that is not the same as arrogant.

I also don't see the link between him apparently being arrogant and a few people preferring the Di'anno era.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough if you don't, we can all have our opinions can't we?

The link being that he said he heard them and thought the singer was rubbish and that he could do better.

But many people don't think he did better.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I think he did vastly better. That Di'anno geezer didn't have much of a voice at all.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Di'Anno = awesome

Don't think too much of that guy that came after him though…

…sorry!

mudshark
    Free Member

I think in the world of rock and pop stars Bruce comes across as a relatively good bloke – as does the rest of the band for that matter.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Bruce has said the same thing for years – he went to see maiden, and he thought he wanted to be the front man – hence why he went on to join Samson to get him out there.

Plus some of paul's performances could be a little hit n miss, so it could well have been Bruce saw em on a bad night for Paul

albino
    Free Member

Di'anno was great for the early Maiden stuff but they'd never have got as far as they have without Bruce. Paul has admitted as much himself. Paul's also a top bloke, (my sis used to house share with him), although he does have a reputation for over exaggerating the past and is known somewhat affectionatley as "Paul Di'other one"!

Anyway – very happy to see Maiden doing well in recent years. IMHO all sparked when Bruce & Adrian rejoined for Brave New World – awesome song writing combination.

As for Flight 666 – I could watch it over and over…so many goosebump moments! Up the Irons!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think in the world of rock and pop stars Bruce comes across as a relatively good bloke

Absolutely I agree with that and said the same myself….

Which is a shame because I have always thought him a nice guy

I just don't know why he said what he did – it is simply insulting to a fellow performer. A performer who many believe was better than Dickinson ever has been – if not for technical excellence, at least for style and character.

votchy
    Free Member

I believe his statement was along the lines of he saw maiden and looked at the singer (Di'anno) and thought to himself I want to be that guy. Anyway, aside from that it seems that Bruce has an enormous amount of energy, must be quite tiring piloting that plane as well as gigging, did like the road crews choruses of 'You're sh1t, and you know you are' every time one of the flight crew dropped a clanger 😀

My formative music years started early 80's, first gig was Maiden at Birmingham Odeon on the NOTB tour, seen them half a dozen times but not for over 10 years, been listening to them a lot since watching this programme and just ordered several CD's of albums that have long since departed. Still have my blood red vinyl copy of NOTB though 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

I just watched the heavy metal program which I think is what you are refering to where Bruce said what he said about being the lead singer. IMO he's very much meaning to say that that's what he should be doing with his life rather than saying that he'd be better than Paul. So I think you misunderstood what he was getting at.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Weren't the words along the lines of 'the music was great but I thought the singer was bad and that I could do better'

Perhaps I misunderstood what he was trying to say, but that was how it came across to me – conceited.

Which is a shame.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That comment could just as easily be described as being objective. Perhaps you're just a sensitive flower?
    😉

franki
    Free Member

I loved the live footage.
    Good to see that they still can put on a great show and there's no lacking in energy!
    As a fan of Maiden in their heyday, I find it difficult to accept that Janek bloke as part of the band.

I was a big fan up until Seventh Son but kind of lost interest a bit(in metal generally, ) around that time.
    Saw them at the Birmingham Odeon in the 80s – my first ever concert. Happy days.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps you're just a sensitive flower

But I like metal. So I guess that means I am then – we are all closet softies.

🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Iron Maiden on BBC4’ is closed to new replies.