Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • iphones , worth the money ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking for a new phone,currently have an HTC which frankly i think is crap !, just cant get on with it ….. don’t ask me why just cant …not sure if its the phone or software installed ?? …. i have a 30 day rolling contract with Vodafone,so i can change almost straight away, been looking round and there’s some good deals on a fixed contract with an iPhone ….. are they the dogs ???

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are they the dogs? Yep.

Worth the money? Probably not. But there’s no cashpoint in a coffin, so what the hell!

I use mine ALL the time, I’m on my second, and I can’t see me ever having anything else to be honest. It just works.
    🙂

higgo
    Free Member

What don’t you like about your HTC?

I like the Google integration on Android but I like the iPhone4 too – nice bit of kit and definitely simper in operation. I just don’t like it enough to pay the premium.

mrmo
    Free Member

i looked at an iPhone and in the end got a Galaxy, there was no way i couldn’t justify the extra that an iPhone would cost.

DickBarton

They are good but Android is just as good AND much cheaper…if you have cash to waste yes but these days they don’t do anything better than the competition.

transporter13
    Free Member

Which htc have you got? some are dire.

Mrs T13 has not long had the desire s and i’ve gotta say, its very nice. I’ll probably change to a htc sensation when my contract ends.

bruneep

HTC sensation here and its great.

M6TTF
    Free Member

If you like apps then iPhone wins hands down for sheer numbers – if you just want the usual facebook and twitter then android phones are just as good. Bear in mind that the iPhone 5 is allegedly a few weeks away

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Sorry HTC was a wildfire

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

The wife got one 12 months ago. “Why do you want one of them over priced pieces of tat for?” I asked. After 10 minutes playing around with it I was sold. Got mine in feb when my contract ran out on my old phone. Can’t imagine life without it now.

brakes
    Free Member

I think so
    mine cost £100 plus £30 a month for 18 months
    so that’s…..
    £640
    which seems a lot, but considering that I use it at least once an hour for maybe 5 minutes that’s about an hour a day so over 18 months that’s…
    about 75p an hour
    but I’ve actually had it for two years and pay a reduced rate so it’s less than that
    if I’m honest, mine is indispensable

transporter13
    Free Member

what apps do people use mostly?

what is so addictive with them?

yossarian
    Free Member

Are they the dogs? Yep.
    Worth the money? Probably not. But there’s no cashpoint in a coffin, so what the hell!
    I use mine ALL the time, I’m on my second, and I can’t see me ever having anything else to be honest. It just works.

This is extremely true and to the point

Plus 1

Mugboo

YES

vrapan
    Free Member

Yes it is and it is worth it. You might want to wait a couple weeks or so, iPhone 5 should be dropping soon so you can either get that or pay much less on discounted iPhone 4.

You can still get the 3GS which is no much worse than the 4 – same OS really – for less than you can get most decent Android phones. I love iTunes / iPod functionality so can’t see me moving to Android any time soon!

M6TTF
    Free Member

Worth keeping an eye on quidco for deals – I got £150 cashback on a 30 quid a month 2 yr contract – meant I only Paid 19 quid for the phone

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I’ve got a 3G (my contract is nearly up at last!), was contemplating going for the 4 (or 5) when my contract runs out but tbh will probably keep the 3G, even if it does run a bit slow and doesn’t have so many bells and whistles because then it’ll be an awful lot cheaper.
    I really like having an iPhone, without it I wouldn’t be such a facebook addict! But for what it is, very expensive I think!

konadad
    Free Member

galaxy s2 here, wets on apple anyday

£25 orange 600mins/ unlmtd text 40.40 back from topcashback

kerching

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just go into a phone shop or Apple store and play around with one. I much preferred the OS to any of the other smartphones I tried; but that doesn’t mean that you will. Build quality is incomparably better than other phones, however.

I think I can safely say that, should you need it, Apple will give you far and away the best product support for the life of the phone (and beyond).

galaxy s2 here, wets on apple anyday

WTF does that even mean?

CountZero

Trouble with Android is that it’s a very fragmented platform across the various manufacturers who install it, they often load it with their own bloatware, and it’s not unknown for updates to be virtually nonexistent for older models. Android is also a serious target for malware, and if the separate courtcases against Google over it’s theft of Java code and IP go against it Android may be left to just wither, because Google may just get bored/decide it’s not worth the hastle. It’s happened before with Google stuff. There will probably never be as many apps either, as devs are losing money because of piracy. It’s an ‘open’ OS, after all, and the freetards don’t see why they should pay for what they see as their absolute right to have for free. Why should a dev continue to support something he/she’s getting nothing back from. And anyone who really thinks Android is ‘open’ is, frankly, delusional. It’s as open as Google allows it to be.

spokebloke
    Free Member

No.
    Got a Motorola Defy – does everything the iphone does, cheaper. And waterproof. Oh yes.

Iphones have a ‘litmus’ type paper inside them – get them wet and it changes colour and Apple tells you to buy another.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Iphone 4 here – i was a nokia e71 user before it did everything i needed and more – it died

I went to a phone shop played with everything that did what i wanted

The iphone came out tops in everything except customisablity- if im honest thats just a bonus and even more honestly it was the downside of most of the phones i played with.

The os is so intuitive ive just replaced my 7 imch asus note book with an ipad as i found my self just not bothering with the notebook as it was a pain in arse ….. And spending too much time on my iphone wasnt doing eyes any good.

Anyone want a well traveled asus eeepc 701 with a gig of ram and a 4 gb hdd ?

Garry_Lager

It’s the law of diminishing returns – the android phone will perform to 99% of an iphone, but that 1% extra may be worth paying for depending on your level of credulity.
    The cost differential is pretty stark though – it’s not like bikes. Say you’re in 3k for an awesome FS, then what the hell, why not go 3.5k for the totally awesome model in pursuit of the intangibles.
    You’ll pay a fair multiplier for that 1% on an iphone.

higgo
    Free Member

Anyone want a well traveled asus eeepc 701 with a gig of ram and a 4 gb hdd ?

Yes please.
    Email me through my profile and I’ll let you know where to send it.

exposed
    Free Member

I could write a long list of reason why I think the iPhone 4 is better than any phone using android at the moment, but I can’t be bothered. Htc’s top end phones are good as are some of the new samsung phones, but they will never be the finished article that the iPhone is.
    Worth the money? Only you can answer that one.

jsgrl925ws
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what types of things you use your phone for other than calls. Where I live everyone has Blackberries and considers IPhone to be horrible. But they are all like business people…

soops
    Free Member

Galaxy s2 here.
    It’s ace!

transporter13
    Free Member

what does the iphone offer over the best android phones?
    would the 16gb version suffice?…..it would worry me regarding the lack of expandable memory.

soops
    Free Member

The Galaxy s2 has 12gb built in, i have an 8gb card in it as well.
    I think it supports upto 32gb card, but i could be wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ha phone of choice from our company is a blackberry – im resisting a company phone atm for that very reason – everyone i meet from our co wants to smash em to bits for crashing !

Iphone for me offered robustness – not one person i physically know in the flesh with a galaxy hasnt cracked an outer screen !

Offered stability and it offered a known quantity for a battery life- battery life on androids seem to depend on the carriers bloat ware !

You really need to go to shop and play – that sold it for me ! In your hand its solid where as some felt like they would fall apart – htc software on the other hand crashed before i got to play with it meh !

tony24
    Free Member

Had the galaxy and then used a iphone 4 and that was pretty much it got 1 from 3. The galaxy is a good phone but it does have some silly issues which is purely because of the variations in the amount of cross platforms it uses.
    Not to mention the iphone is a ipod too so i sold my ipod and made a bit of cash back.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I phone 4 battery sucks balls!! It’ll stay on for days if you don’t use it for anything but calls, but the minute you start playing apps (which will be a lot) you’ll see the battery whither!! That said I’ve had most phones over the last few years and it’s far more usable than any others! I phone 4 all the way but…. Buy an in car charger and a decent phone cover/protector as the front and rear glass damages very easily!!

v8ninety

iPhone 4 for me, swore I wouldn’t fall for the hype, follow the herd etc… Them I tried one. As well as the awesome functionality and versatility afforded by having apps for everything, the biggest selling point for me is that it is feels like it will last. Other phones these days feel like they are designed to last for just less than the length of the contract, this phone feels like it will last for as long as I care for it. It’s actually changed the way I live my life on a small but significant way. Autocorrect can be a pain though… (but it can also be funny, so I keep it on)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha yeah v8ninety – i had to wire up my 12v socket on my ninety ( as previous owner wire it up to a natty orange beacon) for my iphone – it gets 1 day at the most – but as you say being used as an ipod most o time

Olly
    Free Member

this is steve jobs isnt it?

Love my wildfire. Its the original one, and the processor isnt as good, and the screen isn’t as high res, but thats only noticable when you sit it next to an Android HD or a Piephone.

i am however paying 20 quid a month for unlimited everything (and have had it a year, so thats an old contract, the same contract gets you an HD android currently i think)
    not sure how much that would cost on a pie phone, but reckon it would be more

processor and res lacking doesnt impact anything at all that i have found. the only thing that wont work properly is angry birds, but maybe as thats the only processor hungry thing i have tried on it. It would never run RAW or other games, but i have no desire to run them. GPS tracker works perfectly, as does google docs access, etc etc.

No bloatware on 3 either.

i can highly recommend 3 as a network.

transporter13
    Free Member

so do you guys ever suffer with the lack of flash player or the storage? curious as those are the 2 things that are stopping me from commiting the the iphone.

also, what apps are people running?
    can you get gps mapping software for it…i.e track an off road route with it?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Also consider in the cost of an iPhone that its resale value in 18 months time will be substantial.

loddrik
    Free Member

As above, residuals are brilliant. Always had iPhones, tried a Desire for a month or so but it was rubbish by comparison. Recently had a Galaxy S2 as I was intrigued by all the rave reviews. Sold it after a week and am now on my third iPhone 4. iPhone 5 due out next month and as my contract has just expired I’ll be one of the first in the queue, as will the wife. Nothing else compares IMO.

scaredypants

For me, they all need a bigger screen – supposedly samsung’s on it’s way with a nice big one but I’m guessing they’ll want 500 quid for it 🙄

My wife has an phone – sHe has no interest in most apps ‘n’ shit but wants really good email integration and, frankly, she liked the idea of an iphone. It is great but definitely has its little foibles and seems to be no way around most of them (though I haven’t tried that hard). You seem to have to be educated by the phone to use it correctly

I also bought an orange san francisco (ZTE summatorother) not long ago for my daughter. Hundred quid with a PAYG sim. Unlocked on day 1 (actually wiped totally) because couldn’t get an orange signal despite them saying it’s be very strong here. Now has pretty much the latest android os on it, takes any card and seems brilliant to me. There exists a whole mass of expertise (geekery if you must) on the www, people all pissing about with these things to make them do whatever you want with them. I know they can do the same with iphones, but 600 quid’s a big ante when you’re taking a risk over buggering the thing completely

there’s a new orange (? monte carlo ?) that’s the same thing with a bit bigger screen for 150 quid – I might just have to give it a go

(re residuals – seems bloody incredible to me that people might pay that much just for the iphone/samsung posho handset, without any call-plan. DO they really, actually sell for hundreds of pounds ??)

MrSmith
    Free Member

best thing about an iphone 4 is the fact that it can induce such a negative reaction in others (especially I.T. geeks)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘iphones , worth the money ?’ is closed to new replies.