Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • IPhone4/4s users in for a nasty data hangover?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m on unlimited minutes, unlimited text with 1GB of data on O2, but I’ve noticed something with iOS5.1 that, whilst present on iOS4 seems to have gotten worse.

Whilst sat about 2m from my wifi router the phone seemed to “lose” internet connection, despite my laptop or xbox not having any issues.

Then I noticed that whilst he WiFi signal was full it was my O2 signal that was failing, this happens often whilst using he facebook app or, increasingly annoyingly, the apple store. (cannot connect).

Does anyone know if the handset does some kind of authentication via GSM even though full wifi is present?

Now you’re probably thinking, this isn’t going to lead to a data hang over, but I also notice that iMessages rather than txts are being sent when I’ve no wifi connection, that over the air updates, Siri (which is shit) and icloud syncing will no doubt also be using both 3G and WiFi?

Am I wrong, should I have just bought that HTC phone that looked quite nice instead?

cp

my HTC desire s sometimes drops the wifi randomly. Never happened on my iphone 3G…

GrahamS

You’ll probably be alright.

O2 send you a text when you are 100MB off your data limit and another when you breach it. If you do breach it then they just stick you on a slower connection till next month’s allowance kicks in. (I’ve breached it several times by listening to internet radio or watching YouTube videos at work!)

GrahamS

Does anyone know if the handset does some kind of authentication via GSM even though full wifi is present?

Can’t see why it would need to. It should be able to operate on Wifi without a SIM in at all – since without the GSM bit it is basically an iPod Touch.

Not sure what would be causing your wifi issues. I can happily sit outside my house in the car and still use my wifi from the upstairs study.

Have you go a router with some odd “speed boost” tech on it? Could anything be interfering with the signal? Have checked your router channel doesn’t overlap with the neighbours? Have you got a case/bumper on the phone to avoid the grip of death?

If you’re technically minded you could use Wireshark to listen to the network and see if there is anything odd going on.

Cougar

On Android there’s a few ‘wifi analyzer’ type apps which can show you what wifi channels you can see and their relative signal strength. I don’t know if there’s similar on the iPhone, but it’s worth a look, it’ll highlight blackspots and overlaps with neighbours.

stumpy01

You could always get some kind of data monitoring app for a month or two just to see how close you are getting to your limit.

I used to use “3G watchdog” on my Desire when I first moved house, as I was using the phone as a wi-fi hotspot.

GrahamS

I don’t know if there’s similar on the iPhone

There used to be. (I have one called WiFi Trak on my phone).
    But Apple banned them for “privacy reasons” apparently. 👿

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

On Android there’s a few ‘wifi analyzer’ type apps which can show you what wifi channels you can see and their relative signal strength. I don’t know if there’s similar on the iPhone, but it’s worth a look, it’ll highlight blackspots and overlaps with neighbours.
    This +1.

Also some Android handsets (SE X10i) had issues where the mobile signal was lost and also forced the handset to drop the Wifi connection. How about turning the data off by disabling the APN?

mossimus
    Free Member

I too wondered how my phone managed to send an iMessage without a WiFi connection?

Cougar

<tangent>
    Double-you tee eff is an “iMessage”?
    </tangent>

Cougar

There used to be….
    But Apple banned them for “privacy reasons”

Maybe you have a helpful friend with an Android handset?

kiwijohn

I too wondered how my phone managed to send an iMessage without a WiFi connection?

iMessage is iOS5 to iOS5, regardless of wifi or 3g.
    Basically undercuts the telcos sms fees.

GrahamS

Basically, if you are sending a text message or MMS to another iPhone/iPad then it will use wifi (or 3G data) instead of your text message allowance. Also means folk on iPods and wi-fi only iPads can now send messages like phones.

Essentially it is very like “What’s App“, but slightly better integrated (and Apple-to-Apple only, natch).

Maybe you have a helpful friend with an Android handset?

Or a Macbook since bizarrely they are still happy to sell similar apps through the Mac App Store. 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

so iMessage is going to be eating into your bundled data, if thats doing that then Its probably the case that iCloud and over the air updates are also at it?

GrahamS

so iMessage is going to be eating into your bundled data

Yep. But unless you are sending tens of thousands of text messages I don’t think it will put a noticeable dent in your 1GB allowance. 😀

If you send A LOT of picture/video it might eat up a bit – but they would have cost you money if they were sent by MMS on O2 (who charge 25p per photo mms!)

Its probably the case that iCloud and over the air updates are also at it?

The 5.0.1 OTA update was only available via wifi and said as much when you tried to download it on 3G. iCloud: again I think it only does big stuff, like backups while it is on wifi.

“iCloud automatically backs it up daily over Wi-Fi when your device is connected to a power source. “
    http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/apps-books-backup.html

MrNutt
    Free Member

hmm I knew there was something afoot

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Iphone users; download a free App called Onavo from the App Store; it compresses your data useage, so you get more for your money if you’re on a limited data package. i’ve used it since Sept and it’s very good.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

3 do unlimited data 🙂

For now…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i message is annoying

number 1 – it only goes to my phone not my ipad

and number 2 – it imessages to my mates ipod and not his blackberry ! and i dont seem to be able to force it to message his phone other than by putting his number in manually

Drac

iMessage is equivalent to that funny Blackberry thing they do, it’s for Apple to Apple not Apple to Blackberry.

GrahamS

Turn it off then?

Settings->Messages->iMessage->Off ?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    <tangent>
    </tangent>

like BBM

CountZero

My iP4 kept dropping the wifi, and going onto 3G data, which used up my allowance a couple of times, and it still happens occasionally, but I think it’s a router issue, it will show four bars, then suddenly drop to zero, then come back again. It’s an old BT white rectangular one, so it really needs replacing.

footflaps

You can log onto O2’s website and see your data usage – not sure how often its updated though..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

My 4 has been dropping the wifi (from Airport Express) quiet regularly since going to iOS5. Was entirely reliable prior to the change. I’ve unlimited data, so it’s nothing more than a minor irritation; although sometimes I have to turn the wifi off then back on in order to reconnect.

pottsathome
    Free Member

I thought it was just me. As soon as i ran the new ios5 version my wi fi slowed right down

STATO
    Free Member

and number 2 – it imessages to my mates ipod and not his blackberry ! and i dont seem to be able to force it to message his phone other than by putting his number in manually

options:

1. Get your mate to turn it off if he wants anyone with an iPhone to txt his BB not his iPod.
    2. Turn your iMessage off
    3. Create a separate contact for his email

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘IPhone4/4s users in for a nasty data hangover?’ is closed to new replies.