• This topic has 61 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by s.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • iphone 4s – what am I missing?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Just got a 4s

Never had an iphone before, my previous 2 mobiles were android

Any tips on what amazing tricks it can do that I’m probably missing out on?

So far I have found that Safari regularly crashes when on facebook, and it won’t play certain youtube vids

atlaz
    Free Member

Well to start with, use the app for facebook. The app store is probably what you need to browse. It’s not going to be significantly better than a modern android phone though so you may have to stop waiting for your mind to be blown.

defydude
    Free Member

Siri is the only thing that differentiates it from regular iPhone4, from a user perspective. Everything else is just enhancements of existing functionality.

Everything else is features of iOS5.

Loads of tutorials and walkthroughs on the finer points online.

Here is one to get you started.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Safari regularly crashes when on facebook

Download the free Facebook App.

There’s no Flash so you can’t view Flash dependent sites and flash only YouTube (a lot of it’s transcoded into something that will play now).

What’s good?
    Spotify (but you need to pay for spotify premium)
    Apple Remote (if you use a mac for playing music)
    Met office weather app
    TuneIn radio (internet radio app)
    IMDB
    Flixster (movie reviews and times)
    TV Guide

grum
    Free Member

Skyfire will play flash videos

Drac

All youtube video play because it uses well a youtube app.

Twitter app
    Facebook app
    Night Sky
    Sky+ if you have Sky
    Sky anytime if you have Sky

GrahamS

Siri is the only thing that differentiates it from regular iPhone4, from a user perspective.

I believe the camera is noticeably better than previous iPhones too.

SBrock
    Free Member

Had an iPhone 3G a few years ago, tried a HTC desire for the last 2 years, now got an iPhone 4s and love it, brilliant camera and glad I’m back with an iPhone as so much easier syncing stuff with my iMac & iPad.

SBrock
    Free Member

The iPhone facebook app works better than the iPad version, iPad version keeps crashing when you try and search friends

tragically1969
    Free Member

If you use twitter do yourself a favour and get Tweetbot, much better than the free Twitter app

Drac

The iPhone facebook app works better than the iPad version, iPad version keeps crashing when you try and search friends

That was fixed ages back now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Iplayer app for iphone works better than ipad same with 4od

Dont need a mac to use remote – just itunes on a pc

SBrock
    Free Member

Yep just re-installed it and ll is well

CountZero

Shazam is essential if you like music and often hear music on the radio or ads you want to get hold of.
    WeatherPro is the best weather app available. It wee’s in the Met Office app’s shoes. I’ve used it for nearly three years, on my 3G and 4G.

mogrim

If you use twitter do yourself a favour and get Tweetbot, much better than the free Twitter app

No idea about iPhones, but the free Twitter app is crap on Android too… Why do they insist on inflicting this crap on us???

I_Ache
    Free Member

The peep app is crap on Android but the downloadable Twitter app is fine. Infact I prefer it to both the iPhone version and the online version of Twitter.

jools182
    Free Member

I must admit, I’m not liking it too much so far

Jamie
    Free Member

I must admit, I’m not liking it too much so far

Dibs! Email in profile 😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

Any tips on what amazing tricks it can do that I’m probably missing out on?

I think you’ve mistakenly bought a smartphone instead of a Paul Daniels.

Unless you’re 9, smartphones just do ‘useful stuff’ rather than ‘amazing tricks’ 😈

GrahamS

Play games much?

Take a look at Infinity Blade I & II, Shadowgun, Galaxy On Fire 2, Real Racing 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Dead Space, Archetype.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m finding it really fiddly and temperamental when web browsing

I’m thinking I’m an android man

GrahamS

I’m finding it really fiddly and temperamental when web browsing

Really? I do most of my web browsing this way now. Anything in particular we can help with or you just trollin?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m thinking I’m an android man

Dibs! Email in profile

8)

…you get it on contract or bought it outright? I think you have 2 weeks in which to cancel with most policies. Change to an Galaxy S2, if it’s not for you.

jools182
    Free Member

no I’m not trolling, its just not as nice to use as my htc

SBrock
    Free Member

Change it then

GrahamS

Fair enough.

It may just be that things work differently/unexpectedly on iPhone compared to what you were used to on Droid. If you gave specifics then we might be able to offer help.

But maybe it’s just not for you.

jools182
    Free Member

I just found Safari to be a bit slow and it kept locking up forcing a restart of the phone
    Also the slider on youtube seemed to be not very responsive, and the touch screen itself doesn’t seem as responsive as my old phone

Nothing majorly wrong with it, but as I’m paying a premium over android I’d want it to be better than my htc, I just think it’s not

I’ll be chopping it in

I’ve wanted a iphone for years too

bloodyshins
    Free Member

The camers is very good and when paired with the snapseed photo editiong app you can get some amazing results. It’s about £3 and very easy to use

GrahamS

I just found Safari to be a bit slow and it kept locking up forcing a restart of the phone

?? Don’t think I’ve ever seen it lock up the phone and I browse on my phone a lot. You mean completely frozen so the Home button doesn’t work??

You know you can kill background apps by double-tapping the Home button, then long press to start them wiggling and red circle to kill them. You should be able to kill Safari like that if you really have to.
    Definitely no need to reboot the phone.

Also the slider on youtube seemed to be not very responsive

Also odd. You mean the scrubber bar at the top presumably? One thing that isn’t immediately obvious is if you press on the bar then drag your finger down then you get finer control (on the bar is Hi-Speed Scrub, down a a bit is Half Speed, further down Quarter Speed, then Fine Control).

the touch screen itself doesn’t seem as responsive as my old phone

?? And again odd. I can touch mine lighter than I can feel and it responds. You did take the cellophane wrapper off yeah?? 😉

It could well be that your phone is a bit borked, though it is hard to know without seeing it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Deffo sounds like its broken to me. I can’t remember Safari ever crashing of freezing on mine.

Drac

Sounds like you’ve got a dodgy screen it’s s known fault. Book an
    Appointment at your local Apple store and they’ll sort you out. Had my 4S since released and had none of those problems.

Jamie
    Free Member

*retracts dibs*

Sounds knackered, Jools.

partickbateman
    Free Member

Sounds duff to me too. Never had those problems with mine.

In the meantime some good photogrpahy/camera apps:

Instagram
    Camera+ (clarity mode is awesome)
    Hipstamatic for fun
    8mm for video

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s not – every time I do a search, it just says “no friends detected”. And that can’t be right…can it? 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s not – every time I do a search, it just says “no friends detected”. And that can’t be right…can it?”

it is – delete app and reinstall !

randomjeremy
    Free Member

You’re probably missing how it was made by indentured slaves who live in cells at the factory. You can read all about it here while sipping your frappucino in starbucks 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yup, sounds like a duffer to me too

GrahamS

You’re probably missing how it was made by indentured slaves who live in cells at the factory

🙄

Whereas all other phones and gadgets are made by free range slaves living culturally fulfilling lives in the sunshine?

jools182
    Free Member

looks like I might have got a dodgy one then, which is a shame as I was really looking forward to this phone

safari was regularly locking up when browsing fb, other apps still worked fine, but once safari had locked it wouldn’t work on other sites too
    the touch screen seemed to be ok when playing games etc, but for some reason when I was web browsing or looking at youtube it wasn’t responsive, I was having to tap the screen 3 or 4 times for it to do anything

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@grahams oh I guess that makes it ok then
    🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘iphone 4s – what am I missing?’ is closed to new replies.