Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Internal Computer Power Cable Adaptor – Help! 4pin to 8pin
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Just got a a Ggraphic card for the PC from am auction today. But I have a problem 🙁

The card needs power and it’s 8pin and I have a 4pin available form my pwer supply.

Pictures below:

Spare power plug availble.

The power connection on the card:

Is there a power adaptor out there?

Many thanks.

Creg

Yup

Ask your local PC shop for an adaptor, around £5

funkynick

Yes, you can get a cable… do a search for 4 pin ATX to 8 pin PCIE.

Just bare in mind that it will take two of the standard 4 pin ATX power connectors to be able to supply the new card.

Also, it will be worth checking to make sure that your PSU is actually man enough for the job. If the PSU can’t supply enough power then you could end up with random crashes, freezes or general weirdness…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redthunder
    Free Member

I need to check the power now as well 🙁

or

A Zotac GeforceGTX 260 (2) will be in the classifieds.

Creg

That second one should work red

You’ll need a PSU somewhere over 500W I would reckon.

There is a site somewhere where you can put in your system setup and it provides you with what PSU would be needed

retro83
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    I need to check the power now as well

or

A Zotac GeforceGTX 260 (2) will be in the classifieds.

Cheaper to change the PSU surely? How old is that anyway, most in the last few years have had that connection (apart from OEM tat)

Cougar

Personally, I’d swap the PSU.

Adapters kinda work, but it’s a workaround. There’s a good chance that it won’t be able to supply sufficient power to work reliably, and the last thing you want is an unstable power supply.

redthunder
    Free Member

Sadly it’s an OEM and quite new. It’s a Medion with 350w ouput PSU 🙁

Another question… whats recommended cheap PSu for a Medion Akoya E4120D (MD8347)

Picture of PSU

BIG PIC
    http://www.zooomr.com/z/photos/zoom/9587092/size-32/

Creg

You should just be able to fit another PSU straight into the case, unless its some kind of super slim design.

I got a OCZ Modstream 600w PSU off eBay for £35 which works a treat. Its modular too so you only plug in the power cables you need inside, which keeps things quite neat and tidy. Nice and quiet too.

Alernatively I got my brother an Akasa 750w Modular PSU from a local computer shop for £50. Its a lot more powerful and is a little noisier but overall he’s pretty happy with it.

retro83
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    Sadly it’s an OEM and quite new. It’s a Medion with 350w ouput PSU

Another question… whats recommended cheap PSu for a Medion Akoya E4120D (MD8347)

Picture of PSU

Those aren’t bad PSUs as it goes, but still you can get much more efficient ones for not a lot of cash, and they will have the proper connection. Look for ones marked 80+ and they will be energy efficient.

Cougar

Wait.

You have a 350W power supply. The presence of an 8-pin PCI-E power connection on the graphics card gives a maximum power delivery of 150W in addition to the 75W that can be drawn from a PCI-E lane.

So, your new card is capable of drawing 225W in addition to whatever the rest of the PC requires. Its actual requirement will be under this (does it say on the card anywhere / google the model number) but I’d be looking at getting a 600W supply before you do anything else.

Cougar

I googled the model number, now that I’ve spotted you’d posted it. 185W.

600W PSU, then.

redthunder
    Free Member

My machine cant hack it 🙁

Anyone interested in a :

Zotac GTX 260 2 896MB 448BIT DDR

I got 2 as one was for my Dads machine which also cant hack it.

Make me an offer 🙂

tractorsglos AT gmail DOT com

Creg

If I could afford it I would, but the purchase of a 9800GTX+ has cleaned me out.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Your PSU has a maximum load of 192 watts on the 12v rail, your card requires 180watt alone, leaving only 12watts for the rest of the machine to use, and that based on the PSU running at 1005 and at maximum efficiency which is not possible.

It would be cheaper the replace the PSU, its only a 10 minute job at best.

Cougar

Sell one card, put the proceeds towards a new PSU.

Cougar

(Or, SLI. Ahem.)

redthunder
    Free Member

Some details of the card here:

http://www.zooomr.com/search/photos/?s=awe&w=15397%40Z01&q=Zotac

Probably sell one and upgrade as mentioned above.

Sensible offers welcome 🙂 Hint Hint Nudge Nudge 😉 Circa £100

redthunder
    Free Member

Went with peoples advice here and got a 600watt PSU.

I can now play F1 2010 and ProEvo, Battlefield etc. with everything on max graphics.

Cheers for the help.

Cougar

Sweet.

Staberind
    Free Member

Excellent, I was about to put in an offer for the card, both my machines run corsairs (psu) 😉
    much nicer to see you got it going.

tiger_roach
    Free Member
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Internal Computer Power Cable Adaptor – Help! 4pin to 8pin’ is closed to new replies.