Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Intense tracer VP views?
  • Bosh
    Free Member

Once again the quest for a new bike/frame continues, for some time I've been considering an Intense Tracer. Would be using it as a lighter replacement to my spesh enduro which comes on at 36lbs eith a coil.

I'll be using it for mainly "trail riding" and I need it to be fairly robust as I'm a bit of a lump (20st+) I'll be running it with my 150mm fox 36 TALAS from the enduro.

just wondered if anyone has any views experience? I'm 6'4" and was thinking of getting an XL which is 19.5" and 635mm TT

Finally, anyone know what warranty they offer?

B@rney
    Free Member

Fantastic frame!! – only had a month or so but so far so good. Takes a little time to set up nicely but once dialled in very happy with the ride. Have'nt used to pro pedal yet, it just works so well without. I've built it with a a lightweight build currently in at 26lb. There is a top forum on mtbr with an intense section with specs, photo's etc – check it out…

SBrock
    Free Member

ok got my new MBR yesterday and they have a selection of american frames that they review – Tracer, Blur, 5 Spot etc etc.

they said the Tracer was great as is the Blur but the Tracer is slightly heavier!

maybe read that before deciding – but i test rode a tracer and loved it!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    0pt1cal
    Free Member

I'm 16 stone and love my Tracer VP. I did a test ride on the Blur LT before buying the frame and found the Tracer to have sharper handling, jumps really well and is a superior climber. For me it works best in the 6 inch travel setting and get's abused on a daily basis. Definately recommend buying one!

B@rney
    Free Member

SBrock is that MBR October issue? I'd like to check out their review etc
    cheers

Matt-P
    Free Member

Love mine, but had to change out the stock shock – using the RP3 there is a pretty well documented problems with heavier riders finding the tune all wrong – either needs setting so harsh you every bump hurts, or you bottom out. Here's one of the MTBR threads on it here

I swapped mine out for a Manitou ISX 6 but others have had success with Cane Creek DB's. Don't know what shock the frames are currently shipping with, the 2010 version with boost valve might solve the problem.

Having said that, and having ironed out a few other problems I can honestly say it's the best bike I've ridden and can't see myself changing for a long long while.

gizzardman
    Free Member

This months MBR reviewed a Yeti 575, Turner 5 Spot, Tracer VP, Blur LT, Titus FTM and a Tomac Synper. The 5 Spot won with all the others pretty much got the same. The Turner seemed to win for it's better suspension really.

dreednya

The Turner seemed to win for it's better suspension really

So get an Ibis mojo – same DW link plushness and can be built silly light if you wqnt or light but full AM builds at around 27-28 lb.

oxnop
    Free Member

After a nightmare with her ibis mojo we have just bought the GF a new blur LT2 after considering the tracer & 5 spot also.

She didnt like the look of the 5 spot (WTF!) and she wanted her new bike to be white so the blur won!

I would never recommend choosing a bike based upon looks or colour but she is a woman though!

kamina
    Free Member

I was contemplating between a Blur LT, Spider 2 or lightish Tracer. I seem to be slightly between sizes on the Blur, and spot on Large on the Tracer so will probably go that way.

Thinking Tracer rather then Spider since it should be a big more versatile if the bike builds up more confidence then I have now…

trusz
    Free Member

I'd recommend a read of the new MBR. I borrowed it off a mate last night. I'd already ordered a Tracer after having one on demo for a weekend and really enjoying it and can't wait for mine to arrive.

The Turner won the the review with slightly better suspension tracking but it is a bit heavier and has less travel than the Tracer. The Blur LTc was said to be pretty skittish and it is made of carbon which is always a worry if you're going to give the bike some abuse, damn expensive too.

backhander
    Free Member

I read that review as Turner won followed by the tracer then the blur then the 575 (HOW? the flexy chainstays made the bike unridable apparently) followed by the titus then the tomac.
    This was the way I read it regardless of the inconsistent scoring system.
    Mind you if I wanted a DW bike, I would get the Ibis. I briefly demoed a tracer and it feels very solid.

Dino
    Free Member

What was the problem with the mojo u bought for the girlfriend?

Clong
    Free Member

I have one and of all the bikes at my disposal, its the one i reach for every time. Mines no lightweight, no idea of weight but it has Wotans on the front and Double Ply tyres, rides very well. I've read various reviews and most seem to test them with 32mm forks on them, which i don't think do them justice, 36's, lyric etc seem better suited to the bike. When i demoed the Tracer, it just felt right, despite it beng built as more "freeride" style (v.short stem, chain device, etc).

chuffnuts

I like mine very much although as others have said it has taken a while to find the perfect set up (not helped by riding all summer on a rear wheel with a snapped axle!), but it just seems to get better and better.

Go for it!

kamina
    Free Member

Looks nice!

I'm just about ready to order a Tracer. I would have really liked one in Works Raw, but my LBS is out of frames and Intense does not have any works frames in stock (so will have to be powder coated).

Hard choice which one to pick, I'm assuming they look quite different in nature then in the pictures…

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive had mine for nearly a year now, Ive set it up with lyriks, Good on the climbs and even better on the descends but they do break, well at least mine did. I aint even sure how I did it.

It's been sent away to CRC for warranty replacement for over 3 weeks now and still no answer to when ill be getting the replacement.

Thankfully you get a 2 year warranty

SBrock
    Free Member

That's roughly where hecklers go!!!!

Matt-P
    Free Member

Yours cracked too and right there? Thought mine might have been a one off.
    🙁

B@rney
    Free Member

Ive got a CRC Blue one and I can tell you pictures don't do it justice, smashing colour

Rex
    Free Member

Cracking frame, Grommit.

Gee76
    Free Member

Me too, the blue seems to change intensity with the time of day/light.

I tested a light xc build (fox 32 Talas and xc rims) and heavy build (fox 36 & all mountain rims) back to back (thankyou Wheelbase and Extra/Intense – fantastic day) and really like it. Really felt like two different bikes.

Built mine up around 30lbs with Wotans, Dt 5.1 rims, etc and it feels rather good. Rode a 39 mile lakeland ride on it last weekend and a few weeks ago was at fort bill. Very versatile!!.

Still trying to perfect the shock set up to be honest so it should get even better.

SBrock
    Free Member

There seems to be quite a few faliures on Tracers – it does worry me as Hecklers suffer the same as well, mine is 2 yrs old next year and hope that if it goes its gonna do it before the 2 yr warranty is up!

brant
    Free Member

Pagey seems to like his – http://shedfire.posterous.com/pageys-drop

Though after some persuasion, me and Ed followed him off that on our hardtails 😉

kamina
    Free Member

Got my Tracer two days ago, but did not have time for a proper ride yet. It was supposed to come with a 150mm Fork but ended up being a 140mm model… I felt the HA was quite steep and measuring it I found angles to be 70/74. This seems to confirm what MBR said in the review that the large frame is a degree steeper then others.

Might change the fork for Float 36's since that will still have fairly "trail worthy" angels (something like 68.5 HA).

Bregante

Trail worthy Angels?

Are they the people who maintain the 7Stanes? 😀

lowey

Dunno what the ride like, but the paint job is lovely.

kamina
    Free Member

Good catch Bregante – should be angles I guess (English is not my first language).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Intense tracer VP views?’ is closed to new replies.