Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Insurance:- How **** much!?!?!?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

1) Sell the van
    2) Move into parents

dooosuk
    Free Member

This

The volvo is fuct, im getting 27mpg at the moment if im lucky, i was feeding it 95 ron before and it was eating the engine, so ive had to go back to 97/98 ron. 4.545 litres to the gallon @ 125.9p/litre is Over 21p / mile.

Factor in a couple of tyres a year @ min 60-70 quid each, the 1250 i had to spend rebuild the engine after the manifold fell off. The things a black hole for money. Looking at ebay i'd be lucky to get a grand for it if it was in good nick.

With what I earn as soon as I do any overtime it seems to make a massive difference to my tax and im not sure how they calculate student loan repayments but as soon as I start earning over my basic salary it seems to increase exponentially. Not that i'll ever pay it off – I worked out that if i ever managed to pay it off then i'll have paid the govt. about 70k in interest However at current rate of repayment i'll be a 116 so i doubt i'll ever get shot of it. I think I paid about £40 of capital off last year the rest was interest.

tells me you have no idea about money and probably never will.

Ditch the Camper and the Volvo (or get the fuel issue fixed) and save your sanity.

The Volvo will cost you more in extra fuel costs than it would to get it fixed/rid of it in the long run.

sobriety
    Free Member

I would:

1. Sell volvo
    2. Move into parents
    3. Cycle to work (leaving kit there) whilst looking for a new job.

Incidently the offer of a garage still stands (gf doesn't mind) when we finally buy the bloody house!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Have handed in notice on rented house, move out by 4th of october so got just over a month to work out where im going.

Insurance is due on the volvo on the 11th Sept so that needs to be gone by then. Might have a couple of months of no vehicle if I can swing it with work, otherwise im a bit stuck.

Cycling to work will test my fitness its pretty hilly between work / home so have to see how long it will take me and find a safe route as a lot of it would be on 60 limit A roads. Plus i'll need to get some lights as soon as the days draw in.

Cheers for the offer – its still up in the air as to what's happening with the camper van.

Limy
    Free Member

Route is easy if you want to do it. I already planned route for you that's not very hilly, straight and no A roads. Ring me and will explain it. Would actually be quite a nice ride and option of doing shorter route that misses out half the road in favour of canal.

5lab

get yourself something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-Ford-Mondeo-LX-TD-Estate-State-Blue-/110571843742?pt=Automobiles_UK

it'll do double the mpg of the volvo, cheaper to insure, just as big, and if it costs more than £300 to fix, you can simply bin it and get another. I've had one for 6 years (120,000 miles to 180,000 miles) and its been 100% reliable, just needed a spring and a tiny bit of welding over service items.

sorted.

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

The volvo is fuct, im getting 27mpg at the moment if im lucky

Sounds like the HEGO sensor(s) have failed and the engine is running open loop. Don't suppose you know somebody with a diagnostic reader?

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Insurance:- How **** much!?!?!?’ is closed to new replies.