• This topic has 32 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Spin.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Impotent Roundabout Vigilante
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

It boils my **** when cars don’t indicate on roundabouts – mostly if they are opposite you but turning right and so look like they are going straight on, but you have to wait to make sure…

Anyway I like to try to make them see the error of their ways…no “don’t mess with me” looks but a shrug of the shoulders or a shaking head…so far I’ve been ignored, looked at quizically or given the finger 🙁

Any ideas, success stories to help my quest and keep it going?

warton
    Free Member

pull out in front of them, get knocked over, that’ll teach them

wwaswas

one of these on your back with ‘Use your blinkin’ indicators you blank minded, bovine faced, incompetent, selfish and thoughtless nincompoop’ scolling across it?

ton

bored al? 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t you like me? 🙁

Actually the pulling out (not getting knocked over) isn’t bad!

D0NK

Everyday I see people going round the inside of (a very big) not indicating so I enter the outside of the roundabout only for them to cut across me (or have to brake if they aren’t blind/homocidal) to get to the next exit.

People opposite you who get to the mini-roundabout just before you but are turning left and you have to wait for them is annoying too.

rossi46
    Free Member

One of these 😆

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My mate came over from Hungary and was behind someone who didn’t indicate, badly cutting up his works van at a roundabout. The cutter upper then had to stop.

Mates colleague jumped out of the van, ran over, lent in the window and ripped the indicator stalk off, yelling “You obviously don’t f’in need this!”

Said Hungarian always indicated after that.

Worth a try?

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m more disturbed by how you knew he was impotent – how close did you two get on the roundabout???

rossi46
    Free Member

“You obviously don’t f’in need this!”

This!!!

Brilliant, id love to have seen that 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

annoying but nothing you can do about it

wwaswas

headcam and youtube seems to be the accepted way to vent these days?

STATO
    Free Member

If your on you bike, just fake pulling out just as the start to turn but when they are not looking, so when they glance back over at you your much closer than they expected… then scream at them. Works for me (tho i mainly reserve that for when i know cars havnt looked properly and pull out infront of me on a roundabout)

SiB
    Free Member

So you would trust that they were turning if they were indicating?

Nick

annoying but nothing you can do about it

yeah there is, just ignore it and don’t get annoyed

If your on you bike, just fake pulling out just as the start to turn but when they are not looking, so when they glance back over at you your much closer than they expected… then scream at them.

why?

joao3v16
    Free Member

headcam and youtube seems to be the accepted way to vent these days?

😆

This is 100% guaranteed to make all motorists admit the error of their ways and become changed people.

It is well known that motorists spend their evenings religiously watching youtube videos, specifically to improve their driving.

That’s a fact.

Oh yes it is.

STATO
    Free Member

why?

because i dont have a horn to show my displeasure at their shite driving.

loum
    Free Member

STATO – Member
    If your on you bike, just fake pulling out just as the start to turn but when they are not looking, so when they glance back over at you your much closer than they expected… then scream at them. Works for me (tho i mainly reserve that for when i know cars havnt looked properly and pull out infront of me on a roundabout)

Worse than the original problem, tbh.
    Some people make mistakes, more acceptable than intentionally F*** ing about on a roundabout.
    These are the sort of arrogant, mindless actions that give drivers good reson to call for cyclists to be registered, so that bans can be enforced on them.

EDIT:

because i dont have a horn to show my displeasure at their shite driving.

You should either read the highway code, or go watch Troll Hunter at the movies.

Sancho
    Free Member

I once got nudged from behind on a roundabout when I was on my motorbike, I then proceeded to kick the guys car for it, all this was whilst pretty stationary in rush hour, they guy then got out and pulled me off my bike and we ended up brawling on the roundabout, it was hilarious as at one point he punched me in the face – except I had my helmet on. It ended up being so funny, we stopped and both went to work.

the standard of driving isnt always spot on but you have to ride defensively expecting the unexpected and learn to relax.

sobriety
    Free Member

for when i know cars havnt looked properly and pull out infront of me on a roundabout

I tend to get alongside them as they pull out then casually slap their windscreen, shits ’em right up.

psling
    Free Member

I always thought vehicles already on the roundabout* had right of way and that it is good form to indicate when leaving the roundabout. It may be courteous (but not required) to indicate that you are continuing around the roundabout but, judging by the number of drivers that indicate to leave at the exit previous to the one they actually leave on, I wouldn’t depend on indicator/lack-of-indicator flashing as indicating anything!

*[Roundabouts not including mini roundabouts (they’re lethal) or signal controlled roundabouts]

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess my point is that I’d like to show folk how inconsiderate their driving is and how helpful it would be to others if they gave a ****

So what’s teh rules on indicating and round abouts?

STATO
    Free Member

Loum, apologies, i think i may have ‘over egged’ my point a little, see i was approaching a roundabout the other day when i saw a car drive straight into the side of a cyclist already on the roundabout. He was knocked clean across the road, bouncing off the car bonnet and windscreen. It was pretty sickening and i had a serious knot in my gut as i dropped my bike and ran around the car to check the guy was ok. Thankfully he was fine but im getting sick of drivers not looking properly. I regularly have them pull out at a roundabout i cross that has them coming onto from fast dual-carriageway approach, so if one does then i think im fully entitled to scream at their side window (as they fly past inches infront of me at 40mph). Im not one of these militant cyclists, i follow the highway code as best i can (when not being run off the road), signalling, stopping at lights etc.

loum
    Free Member

STATO, glad the guy was ok. Sounds like a shocker to see.
    Apologies too. Its easy to get wires crossed and end up arguing on a forum.
    I fully accept that the bigger problem is drivers not looking, particullarly at roundabouts. There’s only one loser against 2 tonnes of metal so staying calm and riding deffensively is key. If that includes a slap on the roof when they get too close, then its better than getting hit.

amedias
    Free Member

I guess my point is that I’d like to show folk how inconsiderate their driving is and how helpful it would be to others if they gave a ****

and therein lies the problem…they don’t give a ****, so won’t give a **** about someone trying to get them to give a ****.

If it is a genuine mistake and they are a considerate person chances are they already feel like a twonk and won’t do it again.

If it is a genuine mistake and they are not a considerate person then they won’t care anway

If they are just being inconsiderate then again, they just wont care.

The only people you are likely to ever have an impact on are the ones that do care, and they probably don’t need you to tell them they did something wrong cos they already care.

If it is deliberate then you’d definitely be fighting a losing battle anyway…

You’re much better off just letting it wash over you, no point ruining *your* day over it.

LsD
    Free Member

Kill them. Kill them and hang their corpse from a signpost pour décourager les autres

cynic-al
    Free Member

It doesn’t ruin my day amadeus, iyt’s just nice to try to get people to think, I know they are mostly twunts but I hoe just a few aren’t beyond hope…

amedias
    Free Member

well in that case I suggest printing out a fake “National Indicator Inspector” badge, finding an official looking flouro jacket and then stopping them at the next available opportunity and putting them through a series of indicator tests, preferably while the car is full of their friends and/or family

STATO
    Free Member

and therein lies the problem…they don’t give a ****, so won’t give a **** about someone trying to get them to give a ****.

The thing is, most ‘people’ are generally nice. I mean we all have friends and familly right? not everyone out there is a ****. Its just most of them forgot or just plain dont realise what the risks actually are when they are driving, for most all they fear is getting in a ‘prang’ and having their insurance go up. It takes them having a shock of some sort to wake up and pay attention to whats going on. The woman who hit the cyclist i mentioned in my previous post was in floods of tears as she knew she had made a mistake in not looking, in her words ‘i drive this way every day, i just didnt see him, i should have stopped and looked’.

epicyclo

I’m wary on roundabouts these days.

About 20 years ago I got taken out on a roundabout in North Queensland by a 4×4 driver who “didn’t see me”. Seeing as I was on a Harley Electraglide with all the lights blazing I found that difficult to accept.

I was very lucky to walk away from that one – the 4×4 bullbar smashed my panniers inches behind my leg. I also learned that it’s not a good idea to ride a motorbike in shorts, t-shirt, sandals and openface helmet… 🙂

(Bike was totalled)

So just accept that you are one of the unseen, and ride accordingly if you want to live.

mustard
    Free Member

by a 4×4 driver who “didn’t see me”

[generalisation]he was probably drunk[/generalisation] if the number of drink drivers I encounted in Aus 3 years ago is anything to go by the number 20years ago must have been ridiculous!

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Was following a car this morning coming up to a roundabout. They slowed down about half a km (no exaggeration) before the roundabout. Many hours later when we actually reached the approach for the roundabout they positioned themselves in the middle of the road and indicated right. Two lane approach, so pick a lane- more confirmation that roundabouts confuse drivers round here. Then they went off at the first exit (left) with the right hand indicator still on…!

Seeing the amount of bad driving that goes on round here I wouldnt fancy my chances of making it to work if I cycled, I would probably be dead. Even the police around here don’t know how to use lanes and indicators at roundabouts. Obviously like everyone else I am an ‘above average’ driver, but at least I know what an indicator is for (the clue is in its name)

Spin
    Free Member

In reply to Cynic-Al

Never consider a move to Inverness.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Impotent Roundabout Vigilante’ is closed to new replies.